Antenna selector - New feature

Andy None <va3pl@...>

Hi There
Was anybody able to program macros in DATA TERMINAL to control antenna selector.
I am unable to open help file and find it there.
Andy SP9KR

Jim Hargrave

Andy,

You must have Logger32 ver 3.50.354 .

Logger32 Help version “3.50.354 Beta 1” is now available for download.

This version has the procedure for setting up the antenna serial port.

The antenna serial port uses the Data Terminal, however setup procedures are in the “Hardware setup | Antennas | Setup Antenna selector.

Mine is working very well.

Jim – w5ifp@...

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy None via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:40 AM
To: Hamlogger <hamlogger@groups.io>
Subject: [hamlogger] Antenna selector - New feature

Hi There

Was anybody able to program macros in DATA TERMINAL to control antenna selector.

Andy SP9KR

Colin Hendry

Hello,
I have read this old thread and have a question. The help file talks about serial, parallel and USB ports but only has explicit instructions on how to setup the first two. Is there anyway to use a USB port to drive the relays. I have it working at the moment through a GUI but would be great to have it work automatically. One issue maybe that it appears under device manager as an HMI and not port.
Any thoughts most welcomed,

Colin G0ODR 

On 28 Apr 2018, at 14:48, Jim Hargrave <w5ifp@...> wrote:

Andy,

The antenna serial port uses the Data Terminal, however setup procedures are in the “Hardware setup | Antennas | Setup Antenna selector.

Jim – w5ifp@...

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy None via Groups.Io

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Jim Hargrave

Colin,

Please download the latest Logger32 help file. Instructions are included for using a KMTronic USB relay unit. This is accomplished thru the Loogger32 Data Terminal using Macros. This should work using any USB relay unit that is recognized as a USB-Com port and you have the appropriate switching commands.

When setup, the facility supports both Manual antenna switching and Automatic selection based on the Bands  and Mode chart.

See: Logger32 Help file > Hardware setup > Antennas > Setup Antenna Selector > Par 2.2.3

Jim – w5ifp-AT-gvtc DOT com

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Colin Hendry via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:45 PM
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Antenna selector - New feature

Hello,

I have read this old thread and have a question. The help file talks about serial, parallel and USB ports but only has explicit instructions on how to setup the first two. Is there anyway to use a USB port to drive the relays. I have it working at the moment through a GUI but would be great to have it work automatically. One issue maybe that it appears under device manager as an HMI and not port.

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Colin Hendry

Thanks for the reply Jim,
 I have the latest help file and have read he section which is why I know it is talked about usb control the issue I have is it seems the usb board I have is a HID, not hmi as predictive text corrected, so it does not appear as a port. Not being a total computer wizard do you or anyone else now of a away to get this device to be seen as a com port or have I just bought the wrong type?

Colin G0ODR

On 1 Aug 2018, at 22:39, Jim Hargrave <w5ifp@...> wrote:

Colin,

Please download the latest Logger32 help file. Instructions are included for using a KMTronic USB relay unit. This is accomplished thru the Loogger32 Data Terminal using Macros. This should work using any USB relay unit that is recognized as a USB-Com port and you have the appropriate switching commands.

When setup, the facility supports both Manual antenna switching and Automatic selection based on the Bands  and Mode chart.

See: Logger32 Help file > Hardware setup > Antennas > Setup Antenna Selector > Par 2.2.3

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Colin Hendry via Groups.Io

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Richard Mann

Colin

Get you a KMTronic USB relay board They are available for about 35$ USD. If you install this device it will work with no trouble. I have been using one before it was released, with no trouble.

Rich KB4HF

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2018 11:18 AM

I have the latest help file and have read he section which is why I know it is talked about usb control the issue I have is it seems the usb board I have is a HID, not hmi as predictive text corrected, so it does not appear as a port. Not being a total computer wizard do you or anyone else now of a away to get this device to be seen as a com port or have I just bought the wrong type?

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jimw5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Colin Hendry

Thanks for the reply Richard,
I have just ordered a unit from eBay for a couple of pounds which says it is serial port instead of HID so hopefully this will work if not I will have to look at the KMT unit. Trouble is they can ship from China to the UK for nothing but stuff from the states costs a small fortune. Wanted to buy a heil fist mike and postage nearly as much as the mic itself.

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

On 2 Aug 2018, at 17:49, Richard Mann <ibgator@...> wrote:

Colin

Get you a KMTronic USB relay board They are available for about 35$ USD. If you install this device it will work with no trouble. I have been using one before it was released, with no trouble.

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jimw5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Richard Mann

Colin

The KMTronic is made in Bulgaria. Ebay list it for 33.30 plus 4.50 shipping USD

Rich KB4HF

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2018 3:57 PM

I have just ordered a unit from eBay for a couple of pounds which says it is serial port instead of HID so hopefully this will work if not I will have to look at the KMT unit. Trouble is they can ship from China to the UK for nothing but stuff from the states costs a small fortune. Wanted to buy a heil fist mike and postage nearly as much as the mic itself.

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jimw5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Jim Hargrave

Colin,

Richard and I are using a KMTronic model U8CR. This unit was readily available for a reasonable price. It was easy to program.

My controller is in the shack, controlling heavy duty Antenna relays mounted in a box at the base of the tower.

Jim – w5ifp-

Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 10:18 AM

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Colin Hendry

Ok. Didn’t twig it was in Euro prices thought it was in dollars. Will try chines cheap and if that does work then KMTronics will be the next call.
Thanks again for information.

Colin G0ODR

On 2 Aug 2018, at 21:22, Richard Mann <ibgator@...> wrote:

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jimw5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Andy None <va3pl@...>

Hi
Was anybody able to program

8-channel 12V USB Relay Module by Saint Smart?

to automatically control external antenna relays?

73 de Andy SP9KR

On Thursday, August 2, 2018, 10:52:43 PM GMT+2, Jim Hargrave <w5ifp@...> wrote:

Colin,

Richard and I are using a KMTronic model U8CR. This unit was readily available for a reasonable price. It was easy to program.

My controller is in the shack, controlling heavy duty Antenna relays mounted in a box at the base of the tower.

Jim – w5ifp-

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Jim Cox

I use one with a Flex 6xxx transceiver and another $7 cable as an antenna switch, works fine.   Jim K4JAF

Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2018 7:47 AM

Hi
Was anybody able to program

8-channel 12V USB Relay Module by Saint Smart?

to automatically control external antenna relays?

73 de Andy SP9KR

On Thursday, August 2, 2018, 10:52:43 PM GMT+2, Jim Hargrave <w5ifp@...> wrote:

Colin,

Jim – w5ifp-

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Colin Hendry

Hi All,

The heap units us counterfeit chips which the drivers now block it wold seem. So I have bough t a KMTronic unit, single relay but still no joy.  Com port is set in data terminal with some macros as described in the manual to manually switch relay but nothing. Antenna selector box says

Command ?AUX2<cr> Reply: No Reply.

What am I missing. Drivers all checked and updated and all says is well. Running Windows 10.

Please any help would be gratefully received because I have spent far too much time on this seemingly simple process.

Colin G0ODR

Sent: 03 August 2018 16:28

Ok. Didn’t twig it was in Euro prices thought it was in dollars. Will try chines cheap and if that does work then KMTronics will be the next call.

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Jim Hargrave

Colin,

The unit you have should work using the same format as the samples in the Logger32 help file.

The single relay unit  has 2 positions. Did you download the PDF fil covering  programing info?

Verify the port setup. The unit should show up in the device manager. Make sure the unit has 12v power.

The following macros should work.

Macro to turn off:   $hexbytes FF 01 00$     

Macro  to turn  on:   $hexbytes FF 01 01$ 

Jim – w5ifp-

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2018 3:33 PM

Hi All,

The heap units us counterfeit chips which the drivers now block it wold seem. So I have bough t a KMTronic unit, single relay but still no joy.  Com port is set in data terminal with some macros as described in the manual to manually switch relay but nothing. Antenna selector box says

What am I missing. Drivers all checked and updated and all says is well. Running Windows 10.

Please any help would be gratefully received because I have spent far too much time on this seemingly simple process.

Colin G0ODR

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Bob

Colin/Jim: The advantage of not having an antenna is that I have no need for an antenna switch.  The disadvantage is that I have no idea how to program one in Logger32.  From my reading (and rereading) this thread from the very beginning, I now have a clear understanding of the problem (theoretical only, I have no switch to test with):

Colin says his testing produces a result like this: Command ?AUX2<cr> Reply: No Reply

To me this looks like an OTRSP message sequence.  Like this:

Jim says to make macros like this:  $hexbytes FF 01 00$ and $hexbytes FF 01 01$ 

To me this looks like macros for a Data Terminal port setup as an Antenna switch.  Like this:

And of course the Data Terminal has its on TX and RX data windows where users can see the data being sent and received.

I am tempted to quote the famous Abbott and Costello comedy routine 'Who's on first?', but I'll resist the urge.  SeventyThree(s). 

On August 31, 2018 at 8:33 PM Jim Hargrave <w5ifp@...> wrote:

Colin,

The unit you have should work using the same format as the samples in the Logger32 help file.

The single relay unit  has 2 positions. Did you download the PDF fil covering  programing info?

Verify the port setup. The unit should show up in the device manager. Make sure the unit has 12v power.

Jim – w5ifp-

Hi All,

Colin G0ODR

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Jim Hargrave

Bob….The unit Colin has only needs the Logger32 Data terminal. The KMTronic USB relay can also be programed directly from DOS, which is not used in Logger32.

Colin…try this

1)      Open setup / Antenna selector

2)      Set com port to “None”

3)      Open the Logger32 Data terminal and select the Antenna selector on the Mode menu

4)      Select Config | Port setup and add the port data. You can find the Comm port by looking in device manager

5)      Open the port.

6)      Right click Macro # F1. Add the following text: $hexbytes FF 01 00$  

7)      Right click Macro # F2. Add the following text: $hexbytes FF 01 01$

Macro number 1 will turn OFF the relay.

Macro number 2 will turn ON the relay.

Does it work now?

Jim – w5ifp-

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2018 9:03 PM

Colin/Jim: The advantage of not having an antenna is that I have no need for an antenna switch.  The disadvantage is that I have no idea how to program one in Logger32.  From my reading (and rereading) this thread from the very beginning, I now have a clear understanding of the problem (theoretical only, I have no switch to test with):

Colin says his testing produces a result like this: Command ?AUX2<cr> Reply: No Reply

To me this looks like macros for a Data Terminal port setup as an Antenna switch.  Like this:

And of course the Data Terminal has its on TX and RX data windows where users can see the data being sent and received.

I am tempted to quote the famous Abbott and Costello comedy routine 'Who's on first?', but I'll resist the urge.  SeventyThree(s). 

Colin,

Jim – w5ifp-

Hi All,

Colin G0ODR

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Colin Hendry

Jim,

Thanks again for help but still no joy, well nearly none. The unit I have is a single relay and uses the USB power for the relay so no 12v required.

Followed all steps below for Disabling Antenna selector and macros already set in data terminal but copied and pasted from below but still not working.

I have tried to reload the drivers several times but as with a lot of instructions things are not quite the same, different windows versions etc, on the authors setup to mine and things don’t always appear as stated but I have followed or explored best I can. One thing that is bugging me is when I search for the drivers on the computer I browse the location and can see the two .INF files are there in file manager with the driver numbers 2.12.28.2 but the system says the best drivers are installed and the drivers in device manager are 2.12.28.0. I have uninstalled the drivers for the unit and as soon as I plug it in again the system loads a driver from somewhere. I have uninstalled the drivers and followed all the instructions before connecting unit and still no different.

I have downloaded the relay test software from KMtronic and it does not work but there is a little timer utility on there website and that works fine both in manual mode and with the timer running in the utility. It also doesn’t seem to matter what baud rate you have set in the device manager properties as it works fine with either 4800 or 9600. The only possible issue I can see is that in Device Manager and the USB serial port (COM6) properties events tab there is an information message as follows

“ Device FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+AL03EK3UA\0000 requires further installation.”

Similar messages appear on other ports as well so not sure what it means.

I have the Baud rate set t0 9600 as stated on the KMtronic website and in Logger32 all is mirrored. System is windows 10 64 bit and I have downloaded the correct driver file from the FTDI website, even though the numbers are the same for 32 and 64 bit, I have also downloaded and run the setup executable application file and following the install guide step 3 it says connect the device to the PC and it will bring up a windows update installation window but I never saw that. The rest of the automatic set up goes through fine. I have checked the deice manager setup under the universal bus controllers and it is all the same with the same information message under the events tab.

One thing I have just noticed is the Kmtronic website talks about running a Start up script. Is this something I need to do?

Sorry for the lenght of this but I have been struggling with this for months now and no one else can under stand why it wont work so I thought I would give as much detail as possible. Its late now so I will go and hope that someone can put their finger on the issue even its me.

73 Colin G0ODR

Sent: 01 September 2018 16:07

Bob….The unit Colin has only needs the Logger32 Data terminal. The KMTronic USB relay can also be programed directly from DOS, which is not used in Logger32.

Colin…try this

1. Open setup / Antenna selector
  2. Set com port to “None”
  3. Open the Logger32 Data terminal and select the Antenna selector on the Mode menu
  4. Select Config | Port setup and add the port data. You can find the Comm port by looking in device manager

1. Open the port.
  2. Right click Macro # F1. Add the following text: $hexbytes FF 01 00$  
  3. Right click Macro # F2. Add the following text: $hexbytes FF 01 01$

Does it work now?

Jim – w5ifp-

Colin,

Jim – w5ifp-

Hi All,

Colin G0ODR

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Bob

… and, if you look way down at the bottom left hand corner of the main Logger32 window, you will see Data Terminal in red letters or blue?  Red means the port is closed, blue means it is open.  It needs to be blue.  If it's red, Right click on it, and click the OPEN menu.  It should turn to blue.  Now you're talking to the gizmo. 

Then, once you've got the Data Terminal in blue letters, set up the window to look like this:

With the macros described by Jim, if you click the 1 button you will see FF 01 00 being sent to the switch.  Then if you click the 2 button, you will see FF 00 01 being sent to the switch.

N'est-ce pas?

SeventyThree(s).

On September 1, 2018 at 6:53 PM "Colin Hendry via Groups.Io" <colin.hendry23@...> wrote:

Jim,

Thanks again for help but still no joy, well nearly none. The unit I have is a single relay and uses the USB power for the relay so no 12v required.

Followed all steps below for Disabling Antenna selector and macros already set in data terminal but copied and pasted from below but still not working.

I have tried to reload the drivers several times but as with a lot of instructions things are not quite the same, different windows versions etc, on the authors setup to mine and things don’t always appear as stated but I have followed or explored best I can. One thing that is bugging me is when I search for the drivers on the computer I browse the location and can see the two .INF files are there in file manager with the driver numbers 2.12.28.2 but the system says the best drivers are installed and the drivers in device manager are 2.12.28.0. I have uninstalled the drivers for the unit and as soon as I plug it in again the system loads a driver from somewhere. I have uninstalled the drivers and followed all the instructions before connecting unit and still no different.

I have downloaded the relay test software from KMtronic and it does not work but there is a little timer utility on there website and that works fine both in manual mode and with the timer running in the utility. It also doesn’t seem to matter what baud rate you have set in the device manager properties as it works fine with either 4800 or 9600. The only possible issue I can see is that in Device Manager and the USB serial port (COM6) properties events tab there is an information message as follows

“ Device FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+AL03EK3UA\0000 requires further installation.”

I have the Baud rate set t0 9600 as stated on the KMtronic website and in Logger32 all is mirrored. System is windows 10 64 bit and I have downloaded the correct driver file from the FTDI website, even though the numbers are the same for 32 and 64 bit, I have also downloaded and run the setup executable application file and following the install guide step 3 it says connect the device to the PC and it will bring up a windows update installation window but I never saw that. The rest of the automatic set up goes through fine. I have checked the deice manager setup under the universal bus controllers and it is all the same with the same information message under the events tab.

One thing I have just noticed is the Kmtronic website talks about running a Start up script. Is this something I need to do?

Sorry for the lenght of this but I have been struggling with this for months now and no one else can under stand why it wont work so I thought I would give as much detail as possible. Its late now so I will go and hope that someone can put their finger on the issue even its me.

73 Colin G0ODR

Colin…try this

1. Open setup / Antenna selector
  2. Set com port to “None”
  3. Open the Logger32 Data terminal and select the Antenna selector on the Mode menu
  4. Select Config | Port setup and add the port data. You can find the Comm port by looking in device manager

1. Open the port.
  2. Right click Macro # F1. Add the following text: $hexbytes FF 01 00$  
  3. Right click Macro # F2. Add the following text: $hexbytes FF 01 01$

Does it work now?

Jim – w5ifp-

Colin,

Jim – w5ifp-

Hi All,

Colin G0ODR

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Jim Hargrave

Here is my setup (Win 10/64) See if you can find the same driver.

Jim – w5ifp-

Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2018 5:53 PM

Jim,

73 Colin G0ODR

Colin…try this

3)      Open the Logger32 Data terminal and select the Antenna selector on the Mode menu

4)      Select Config | Port setup and add the port data. You can find the Comm port by looking in device manager

5)      Open the port.

Does it work now?

Jim – w5ifp-

Colin,

Jim – w5ifp-

Hi All,

Colin G0ODR

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jim – w5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR

Richard Mann

Colin

This is Rich KB4hf. Can you goo to Ebay and send me the item number of the relay  that you are using. The number I need  something like this..  eBay item number:

Rich KB4HF

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 6:53 PM

Jim,

73 Colin G0ODR

Colin…try this

5)      Open the port.

Does it work now?

Jim – w5ifp-

Colin,

Jim – w5ifp-

Hi All,

Colin G0ODR

Colin G0ODR

Colin

Rich KB4HF

73s and thanks again,

Colin G0ODR.

Colin

Rich KB4HF

Colin G0ODR

Colin,

Hello,

Colin G0ODR 

Andy,

Jimw5ifp@...

Hi There

Andy SP9KR