Topics

Alert sounds

Jim Altman

I hadn’t noticed this before, as there are very few ‘new ones’ but my alert sounds don’t work.  I push test and nothing happens.  Am I missing something?  Am I the only one?

73 w4uck

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

ja1nlx

Jim

This is my test setup. Clicking "Test" play wav. I have not checked using "real" spot though.

73

On 2021/01/21 20:09, Jim Altman wrote:

I hadn’t noticed this before, as there are very few ‘new ones’ but my alert sounds don’t work.  I push test and nothing happens.  Am I missing something?  Am I the only one?

73 w4uck

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

Jim Altman

Ah ha! I found it.  Windows had spontaneously changed to send my Logger32 sounds to the radio instead of the speakers.  Weird.

73

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

I hadn’t noticed this before, as there are very few ‘new ones’ but my alert sounds don’t work.  I push test and nothing happens.  Am I missing something?  Am I the only one?

73 w4uck

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

Gary Hinson

Annoying but not uncommon, Jim.

I suspect Windows may have oh-so-helpfully decided that the sound system feeding your radio (presumably an add-on/external card) should be your default sound system which gets the Windows chimes, bleeps and sirens, rather than the sound system built-in to the motherboard (which tends to be a lower-spec system).  I believe Windows checks for new devices at boot time which might explain the prevalence of complaints that ‘a Windows 10 update messed up my config’: perhaps it is the post-update reboot that caused it, not the update itself.

I’ve added a note about this to the User Manual for the next update.

Also, by the way, I discovered that the <Test> button on the audio alerts config in Logger32 only sounds the selected alert if that alert is enabled (ticked).  I’m not sure if that’s by design or by accident, but I imagine it could catch users out if they don’t realise.  Another note added.

I hadn’t noticed this before, as there are very few ‘new ones’ but my alert sounds don’t work.  I push test and nothing happens.  Am I missing something?  Am I the only one?

73 w4uck

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

Jim Altman

Yes, its true.  My “sound card” is a USB virtual port, but windows sees it the same as a sound card. Also (since I am a windows beta tester and get new builds every week) it always resets the default bit rate down to CD (44.1kHz) and you have to reset it up to DVD (48 kHz).  This is a JTDX issue and not a logger32 issue, but every week I have to set it back up.

73

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

[...]

OK Jim.

I keep up with JTDX beta releases too, and haven’t noticed that sample rate problem with my setup, using a Xonar U7 USB sound system.    Perhaps I’m just not observant enough!

…. Or, maybe there’s another explanation.  For some reason, the JTDX support crew are adamant that users should delete and rebuild the JTDX config for every beta release.   I am too lazy/busy and don’t bother.  I wonder if the 44 kHz sample rate is simply the default setting?

Sorry for drifting off-topic.

[...]

Oh!  Not JTDX betas, Windows10 betas.

73

Jim Altman