windows 10 64 home and only 1 port. How do you get enough ports to setup logger32?

Jeff King ZL4AI

Hi Bob and Dave,

Thanks for your replies. Mabuhay greetings from the South Pacific.

First off I have a laptop with a Win 10 64  home system.

This has a TS-590SG connected and only shows only one com port #5 on the Silicon Devices driver Kenwood required to be installed.

When I looked at hidden ports on the Device Manager a hidden com port  #4 shows but this is not available as a port for use with Logger32.

When I tried renumbering com4 to com 64 with regedit.com and then returning it com4,  com4 disappeared completely from the Device Manager.

I have no other USB device plugged in.

When I plug in a USB to Com Port adapter that device will appear in the Device Manager com ports list.

My problem is Logger32 requires a com port to run the DX clusters and Telnet connection to obtain the information of who is on the bands.

I presume this is must be a com port that accesses to TCIP.

I do not know how to add a com port to get Telnet to function.

I am asking for advice on how to do this???

I am on the point of giving up; But would really like to use Logger32 because it has special features of identifying un-worked countries and links to multiple awards data bases that would be really useful. But if I cannot get the link to clusters and Tenet I cannot use these features

Any advice on how to access Telnet would be really appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Jeff King ZL4AI in the South Pacific

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of David KN2M
Sent: Sunday, 30 January 2022 02:14
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] windows 16 64 home and only 1 port. How do you get enough ports to setup logger32?

Kia ora.
May I presume you are asking the question of a computer with lots of USB ports but only one built in serial port?  I have done this with individual USB => serial port adapters for each USB OR a multiple serial port adapter.  My main computer at my remote station has about 15 serial ports of one type or another.  I have an 8 serial port box there which uses only one USB.  Dave

Jan <hamlogger@...>

Jeff

Why using regedit to change the comport?
You can do this in the device manager
Go to the hidden com port 4 and the do a right click
Go to properties
The open the second tab
Go to advanced
Then in the next window you can change the comport

Jan
PA4JJ

Op 29-1-2022 om 15:46 schreef Jeff King:

Hi Bob and Dave,

This has a TS-590SG connected and only shows only one com port #5 on the Silicon Devices driver Kenwood required to be installed.

When I looked at hidden ports on the Device Manager a hidden com port  #4 shows but this is not available as a port for use with Logger32.

When I tried renumbering com4 to com 64 with regedit.com and then returning it com4,  com4 disappeared completely from the Device Manager.

When I plug in a USB to Com Port adapter that device will appear in the Device Manager com ports list.

My problem is Logger32 requires a com port to run the DX clusters and Telnet connection to obtain the information of who is on the bands.

I am on the point of giving up; But would really like to use Logger32 because it has special features of identifying un-worked countries and links to multiple awards data bases that would be really useful. But if I cannot get the link to clusters and Tenet I cannot use these features

Yours sincerely

Subject: Re: [hamlogger] windows 16 64 home and only 1 port. How do you get enough ports to setup logger32?

Kia ora.
May I presume you are asking the question of a computer with lots of USB ports but only one built in serial port?  I have done this with individual USB => serial port adapters for each USB OR a multiple serial port adapter.  My main computer at my remote station has about 15 serial ports of one type or another.  I have an 8 serial port box there which uses only one USB.  Dave

-- 

Peter Eckersberger

Hi Jeff,

How about using an USB hub? That might be useful for you. Look at AMAZON...

<https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+hub+for+pc&rh=n%3A172456%2Cn%3A17387627011&dc&language=de&crid=RCUIZDQ77OZQ&qid=1643470289&rnid=2941120011&sprefix=usb+hub%2Caps%2C155&ref=sr_nr_n_2>

73 de Peter, OE3EPW

AR  SK

Am 29.01.2022 um 15:46 schrieb Jeff King:

Hi Bob and Dave,

Yours sincerely

Kia ora.

Gerald Boutin

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 10:46 AM, Jeff King wrote:

Jeff,

Telnet connection to DX cluster does NOT require any com ports. The connection is over the internet connection.

Assuming that you have a working internet connection on the laptop, then you already have all of hardware you require. Have you gotten as far as trying to use the Telnet feature in L32? Open the L32 Telnet window and under Setup on that Window, go into "Remote Hosts" and select a DX cluster and go from there.

--
Gerald, VE1DT

Rob

You do not need a com port for telnet to access the DX Cluster, as long as your PC is connected to the internet.

Try GB7UJS

on

gb7ujs.ham-radio-op.net    with port 7373   

or 

IP Address 217.35.93.140    with port 7373

Regards Rob G4UJS

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 04:10 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 10:46 AM, Jeff King wrote:

Jeff,

Telnet connection to DX cluster does NOT require any com ports. The connection is over the internet connection.

Assuming that you have a working internet connection on the laptop, then you already have all of hardware you require. Have you gotten as far as trying to use the Telnet feature in L32? Open the L32 Telnet window and under Setup on that Window, go into "Remote Hosts" and select a DX cluster and go from there.

--
Gerald, VE1DT