Is 2 band maps possible?

Alex PY2SEX

Hi guys,

Bandmap is amazing to monitor grids and DXCC needs, and I love this feature.
Is it possible to have 2 band maps running simultaneously? Like SO2R configuration.

I always keep changing the active radio to see what is populating in the single window bandmap. I use different ports to each radio because the same port will mess with the bandmap up. Hihihi..

Any tip or suggestion is always welcome 😊

73
Alex
PY1KS | PY2SEX |  CT7ATE | AC1CY | PC3T
DL1NX (2012-2017)
JW/PY2SEX (24-25.12.2013)
PJ4S (26.11-02.12.2014)
PJ2/DL1NX (02-09.12.2014)
HB0/DL1NX (24-28.03.2016)
TF/DL1NX (20-26.01.2017)
XX9B (09-17.03.2018)
Y87L (WRTC 2018)
9H3T (2-8.09.2019)
www.py2sex.com

Gary Hinson

Hi Alex.

I normally run with around 8 BandMaps simultaneously – that’s 1 UDP BandMap for FT8 (mostly), 1 regular BandMap showing DX spots for the current/active band on my one radio, plus about 6 “monitor” BandMaps showing DX spots on various HF bands.  Along with the JTDX main window and waterfall, that little lot fills a separate monitor:

I think you are asking about having multiple UDP BandMaps on the one PC: that is not possible in Logger32, as far as I know.  It would presumably involve running multiple instances of JTDX/WSJT-X, requiring significant processing power to decode the signals, plus additional radios (or SDR slices) for each band.  It might be possible to set up several computers each connected to different radios and running JTDX/WSJT-X, passing UDP messages through the shack LAN to Logger32 running on one PC … but I don’t know how Logger32 would cope with the onslaught of all those UDP messages!  Take a look at the brief notes on connecting a Raspberry Pi in the User Manual for inspiration if you are willing to experiment along those lines  - and if so, please let us know how you get on.

[...]

Thanks Gary,
I do the same here, but you are right, I meant 2 UDP BandMaps.  I don’t know about need the much pc power as I run 2 WSJT-X instances (JTDX and WSJT-X) but only one can populate the UDP Bandmap. Would need to have another UDP BandMap listening in another port (Like it is already possible to set) and "voila!” :)
Logger 32 can’t listen 2 different ports at same time on UDP BandMap despite have this configured there. If a new BandMap can be opened and configured to use Radio 1 or Radio 2 instead the active radio, then it would work because the messages are sent from JTDX/WST-X anyway.

My configuration is 1 PC running Logger32 with JTDX in one band/radio and WSJT-X in another radio/band. Both decoding but only one been shown in UDP BandMap due to this limitation. I have different ports configured, so If I want to see populating from Radio 1, I have to select it as in the pic I sent and vice versa for radio 2.

It could be a nice feature for the future, unfortunately I’m totally ignorant for development. Hi hi hi.. If not, I would help out, as I think, maybe I’m completely wrong, should be only a second UDP BandMap window listening to the port already configured.

Thanks for the reply and I’m a happy user of logger32. :)

73
Alex

On 17 Jun 2021, at 21:16, Gary Hinson <Gary@...> wrote:

Hi Alex.

I normally run with around 8 BandMaps simultaneously – that’s 1 UDP BandMap for FT8 (mostly), 1 regular BandMap showing DX spots for the current/active band on my one radio, plus about 6 “monitor” BandMaps showing DX spots on various HF bands.  Along with the JTDX main window and waterfall, that little lot fills a separate monitor:

<image004.png>

[...]

<image005.png><image006.png>
<image007.png>