Rig Control For WSJT-X #ft8

JOHN Albano

I was able to to setup rig control for Logger32..works fine on the USB com3 port.

On the WSJT-X end it will not accept the USB port or the COM com4 port.

The rig is a kenwood TS-590SG....

Any suggestions on what other have done to get the WSJT--X rig interface working?

Thanks for any help or direction, 73 John N6TRC

Gary Hinson <Gary@...>

Hi John.

You say “It will not accept the USB port …”: what do you mean ‘will not accept’?

If Logger32 has CAT control of your TS590, it is holding the USB com4 port open, so WSJT-X or other software can’t use the same port.  Is that what you’ve found?

However, if you open WSJT-X from the UDP BandMap’s <Start> menu item, Logger32 closes the CAT port first, so that WSJT-X can then open and use it instead.  When you close WSJT-X using the <Stop> menu item, Logger32 waits until WSJT-X shuts then re-opens the CAT port for you.

More details in the CAT and UDP BandMap chapters of the User Manual.

I was able to to setup rig control for Logger32..works fine on the USB com3 port.

On the WSJT-X end it will not accept the USB port or the COM com4 port.

The rig is a kenwood TS-590SG....

Any suggestions on what other have done to get the WSJT--X rig interface working?

Thanks for any help or direction, 73 John N6TRC

JOHN Albano

Hi Gary thanks for the reply.

WSJT-X needs to use the USB of the TS590 to work.

The Logger32  also wants the UBS of the TS590 to control the rig..when I offer the Comm port of the TS590 i says it's invalid..the cluster uses it and TCP and UDP are all working.

So for F8 contacts, I leave things as above...the F8 contacts get logged properly on Logger32...the rig is be controlled only by the WSJT-X and NOT by Logger32.

So, I am asking the SAME USB to control both the WSJT-X and Logger 32.

I don't fully understand the next to last sentence but was able to get it configured make F8 contacts from it.

Fabio IZ8MBW

You cannot use the same COM port (also if it's an USB serial port) from more then one software in the same time.

Gary gives to you an option to use the same COM port by both Logger32 and WSJT-X (also if in fact the same COM port is used by one software in the same time).

In my case, with Icom 7300, I use two different serial ports that manage that (same) radio in the same time, so one COM is for Logger32 and the other one is for WSJT-X or JTDX.

If you are not able to use two serial ports on the same radio use the Gary suggestion.

73.
Fabio, IZ8MBW

Il dom, 16 mag, 2021 alle 23:42, JOHN Albano
<albanojc@...> ha scritto:
Hi Gary thanks for the reply.

WSJT-X needs to use the USB of the TS590 to work.

The Logger32  also wants the UBS of the TS590 to control the rig..when I offer the Comm port of the TS590 i says it's invalid..the cluster uses it and TCP and UDP are all working.

So for F8 contacts, I leave things as above...the F8 contacts get logged properly on Logger32...the rig is be controlled only by the WSJT-X and NOT by Logger32.

So, I am asking the SAME USB to control both the WSJT-X and Logger 32.

I don't fully understand the next to last sentence but was able to get it configured make F8 contacts from it.

Gary Hinson <Gary@...>

Hi John.

Provided you started WSJT-X from Logger32’s UDP BandMap <Start> menu (not by clicking a WSJT-X icon), the arrangement works like this:

WSJT-X needs to use the USB of the TS590 to work.

The Logger32  also wants the UBS of the TS590 to control the rig..when I offer the Comm port of the TS590 i says it's invalid..the cluster uses it and TCP and UDP are all working.

So for F8 contacts, I leave things as above...the F8 contacts get logged properly on Logger32...the rig is be controlled only by the WSJT-X and NOT by Logger32.

So, I am asking the SAME USB to control both the WSJT-X and Logger 32.

I don't fully understand the next to last sentence but was able to get it configured make F8 contacts from it.

Bob

Gary, here in the land of the Big PX, we sell electronics to the totally inept, with the support (with a fee) of the 'Geek Squad'. They'll come install it, set it up, make it sing, dance, and talk, and even fix user malfunctions, if you sign the contract.

Mmmm, think there's a buck to be made out there somewhere? SeventyThree(s)AndBackToNetOverOver ...

On 05/16/2021 6:58 PM Gary Hinson <gary@...> wrote:

Hi John.

Provided you started WSJT-X from Logger32’s UDP BandMap <Start> menu (not by clicking a WSJT-X icon), the arrangement works like this:

WSJT-X needs to use the USB of the TS590 to work.

The Logger32  also wants the UBS of the TS590 to control the rig..when I offer the Comm port of the TS590 i says it's invalid..the cluster uses it and TCP and UDP are all working.

So for F8 contacts, I leave things as above...the F8 contacts get logged properly on Logger32...the rig is be controlled only by the WSJT-X and NOT by Logger32.

So, I am asking the SAME USB to control both the WSJT-X and Logger 32.

I don't fully understand the next to last sentence but was able to get it configured make F8 contacts from it.

JOHN Albano

Hi Gary,  helpful chart...thanks

Bob

... oh, and I forgot ... 'Geek Squad' teaches their rule 101 - If you tell the customer/client to RTFM, their employment is terminated on the spot, and they get to walk home ...

On 05/16/2021 7:07 PM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

[...]

RTUM is OK then?

Am I sacked yet?

WSJT-X needs to use the USB of the TS590 to work.

The Logger32  also wants the UBS of the TS590 to control the rig..when I offer the Comm port of the TS590 i says it's invalid..the cluster uses it and TCP and UDP are all working.

So for F8 contacts, I leave things as above...the F8 contacts get logged properly on Logger32...the rig is be controlled only by the WSJT-X and NOT by Logger32.

So, I am asking the SAME USB to control both the WSJT-X and Logger 32.

I don't fully understand the next to last sentence but was able to get it configured make F8 contacts from it.

Bob

Gary, hey, as long as you keep authoring the awesome Logger32 documentation (and continue to hide/conceal the inadequacies of my lousy software), you get to ride the 'Geek Squad' VW bug home for as long as you like ... It's called job security :)

On 05/16/2021 7:28 PM Gary Hinson <gary@...> wrote:

RTUM is OK then?

Am I sacked yet?

WSJT-X needs to use the USB of the TS590 to work.

The Logger32  also wants the UBS of the TS590 to control the rig..when I offer the Comm port of the TS590 i says it's invalid..the cluster uses it and TCP and UDP are all working.

So for F8 contacts, I leave things as above...the F8 contacts get logged properly on Logger32...the rig is be controlled only by the WSJT-X and NOT by Logger32.

So, I am asking the SAME USB to control both the WSJT-X and Logger 32.

I don't fully understand the next to last sentence but was able to get it configured make F8 contacts from it.

G4RRM Pete

Hi

Not a 590 user but did help a friend set one up, I assume you have downloaded the Virtual Comm port from Kenwood Site?

73

Pete

G4RRM

WSJT-X needs to use the USB of the TS590 to work.

The Logger32  also wants the UBS of the TS590 to control the rig..when I offer the Comm port of the TS590 i says it's invalid..the cluster uses it and TCP and UDP are all working.

So for F8 contacts, I leave things as above...the F8 contacts get logged properly on Logger32...the rig is be controlled only by the WSJT-X and NOT by Logger32.

So, I am asking the SAME USB to control both the WSJT-X and Logger 32.

I don't fully understand the next to last sentence but was able to get it configured make F8 contacts from it.

Mike

It is simple to solve.
Download http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
Than you set port splitter COM4>COMxxx (for example 11)
Than set Logger32 to use COMxxx
Than you download and set Omnirig on COMxxx
Than you set wsjtx and other software to use Omnirig.
Problem solved. I use it that way for a long time. No issues.
Mike

JOHN Albano

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this helpful suggestion!

73,
N6TRC, John

JOHN Albano

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the help..yes I did the download just need to share that virtual port between WSJT-X and Logger32 and a splitter might be the way to go as suggested by Mike.

73,
John N6TRC