Suggestion: Synchronize Radio Clock

Wes Plouff

Since some transceivers have a time of day clock display, I suggest adding an option to synchronize the rig's clock to the computer clock. This is separate from synchronizing the logging computer time via NTP or the Windows time set feature. Setting the rig clock could be done when Logger32 starts, on demand, or at regular intervals.

This suggestion definitely falls in the "nice to have" category. However, such a feature would avoid manual settings or fiddling with utility programs.  -- de Wes AC8JF

Bob

... and how does one set the radio time? CAT commands? SeventyThree(s).

On 02/28/2021 3:10 PM Wes Plouff <ac8jf@...> wrote:

Since some transceivers have a time of day clock display, I suggest adding an option to synchronize the rig's clock to the computer clock. This is separate from synchronizing the logging computer time via NTP or the Windows time set feature. Setting the rig clock could be done when Logger32 starts, on demand, or at regular intervals.

This suggestion definitely falls in the "nice to have" category. However, such a feature would avoid manual settings or fiddling with utility programs.  -- de Wes AC8JF

Jim Altman

It looks to me like hamlib does not support setting a radio’s internal clock.  My Kenwood is configurable to set itself every time I turn it on.

73

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

... and how does one set the radio time? CAT commands? SeventyThree(s).

On 02/28/2021 3:10 PM Wes Plouff <ac8jf@...> wrote:

Since some transceivers have a time of day clock display, I suggest adding an option to synchronize the rig's clock to the computer clock. This is separate from synchronizing the logging computer time via NTP or the Windows time set feature. Setting the rig clock could be done when Logger32 starts, on demand, or at regular intervals.

This suggestion definitely falls in the "nice to have" category. However, such a feature would avoid manual settings or fiddling with utility programs.  -- de Wes AC8JF

Pavel Benka YT7TA

Hi Bob, on the Icom 7300 it is possible to set the time and date via the CAT command. The function of setting the clock on the radio using computer system time is useful, given the problems with the clock battery on the IC-7300.  For me, the problem is how to extract the current system time in a suitable format so that it can be built into the hex command which I could then send to the station. At the moment I use a small script for this outside the Logger, but I have to do it before starting Logger, because Logger locks the com port for its communication with the radio.
Speaking of the Icom 7300, there is a possibility via the CAT command to start Voice memory from the station. This possibility is not documented in the manual (but it is documented in the manual off, I think IC 7610), it works perfectly on 7300. Now I use it by sending hex command using RCP panel, but it would be nice if it will be possible via DVK panel, for which it is intended.

73

Pavel YT7TA

--
Pavel, YT7TA
member of YU7AJM - http://www.yu7ajm.org

Jan

I second both options

73
Jan
PA4JJ

Op 1-3-2021 om 10:17 schreef Pavel Benka YT7TA:
[...]

my dxspider clusters running on a raspberry pi:
pa4jj-2 83.162.186.242 port 7300
pa4jj-3 83.162.186.242 port 7388

Fabio IZ8MBW

I also have an Icom IC-7300 and it will nice if Logger32 can update the clock on the radio via CAT (after updating the PC clock via NTP).
On the Web I found this, but it's for Linux: loughkb/IC-7300-time-sync

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 10:17:47 AM GMT+1, Pavel Benka YT7TA <pbenka@...> wrote:

[...]

It won’t be possible via hamlib CAT as those commands are not supported in hamlib.  It could might be done via the RCP, but Bob would have to add a variable to get the computer’s system clock for RCP’s use and then you could manually write a command to send that to the radio via your radio’s computer command set.  Notice the length of the list of types of radio, a different command is required for each type radio.

73 de w4uck

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

I also have an Icom IC-7300 and it will nice if Logger32 can update the clock on the radio via CAT (after updating the PC clock via NTP).

On the Web I found this, but it's for Linux: loughkb/IC-7300-time-sync

loughkb/IC-7300-time-sync

Python3 script to sync the radio's clock with your computer via CAT commands - loughkb/IC-7300-time-sync

[...]

n5kd

Although I never use the time on my IC7300 (My PC shows the time) I see more comments about the clock on the IC7300 Facebook page than any other topic. I can see it would be nice to have off-air audio recordings correctly time stamped. The Linux program Fabio pointed out appears to give the command structure.  It would be nice to tell the facebook group that L32 can set the time.

73’ Pete, N5KD.

[...]

Further…..

I took the command string from the python script and made a test in the RCP for Logger32. Doing this does set the IC7300 clock time.

$hexcommand FE FE 94 E0 1A 05 00 95 hh mm FD$              Set time to hh:mm

Getting the time into the RCP is way above my pay grade.

73’ Pete, N5KD.

[...]

Per

This script is not Linux specific, it is written in Python which is also supported under Windows. You just have to change the script to use Windows serial port, ex. COM1: instead of /dev/ttyUSB0.

73 de LA9XKA - Per

On 01.03.2021 13:41, Fabio IZ8MBW via groups.io wrote:
I also have an Icom IC-7300 and it will nice if Logger32 can update the clock on the radio via CAT (after updating the PC clock via NTP).
On the Web I found this, but it's for Linux: loughkb/IC-7300-time-sync

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

Virusfri. www.avg.com

Jan

Pete

It does not do that here...
😭

Op 1-3-2021 om 14:56 schreef n5kd:

[...]

That’s odd Jan…..

You did put in the hh mm as hours and minutes like this for 14:55 ????

$hexcommand FE FE 94 E0 1A 05 00 95 14 55 FD$    clock set

73’ Pete, N5KD.

[...]

It thougt when I had  hh mm it would copy the actual time from the pc into the 7300
I have put 16 00 now and this worked. But I can only use this macro when the time is 1600 🙁

End of story: The macro is working
73
Jan
PA4JJ

Op 1-3-2021 om 15:43 schreef n5kd:

[...]

In fact, I have executed it also on my Windows PC and works.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 03:11:17 PM GMT+1, Per <pmolund@...> wrote:

This script is not Linux specific, it is written in Python which is also supported under Windows. You just have to change the script to use Windows serial port, ex. COM1: instead of /dev/ttyUSB0.

73 de LA9XKA - Per

On 01.03.2021 13:41, Fabio IZ8MBW via groups.io wrote:
I also have an Icom IC-7300 and it will nice if Logger32 can update the clock on the radio via CAT (after updating the PC clock via NTP).
On the Web I found this, but it's for Linux: loughkb/IC-7300-time-sync

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

Virusfri. www.avg.com

Dave Colliau

Never could figure out the actual need for a clock in the rig. If your using Logger and you have a time sync program and your using the floating clock in logger why would you even worry about the clock in the 7300. The clock in the rig does nothing !.  I see these posts all the time. People are having a fit that the new 101's dont have a clock . Big deal. My logging program ( logger 32 ) takes care of this for me . I also have a clock on the wall and my cell phone is pretty damn close to the right time all day long .

73
Dave N8DC

On 03/01/2021 10:19 AM Fabio IZ8MBW via groups.io <iz8mbw@...> wrote:

In fact, I have executed it also on my Windows PC and works.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 03:11:17 PM GMT+1, Per <pmolund@...> wrote:

This script is not Linux specific, it is written in Python which is also supported under Windows. You just have to change the script to use Windows serial port, ex. COM1: instead of /dev/ttyUSB0.

73 de LA9XKA - Per

On 01.03.2021 13:41, Fabio IZ8MBW via groups.io wrote:
I also have an Icom IC-7300 and it will nice if Logger32 can update the clock on the radio via CAT (after updating the PC clock via NTP).
On the Web I found this, but it's for Linux:  loughkb/IC-7300-time-sync

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

Virusfri. www.avg.com

n5kd

How did you run it on your windows PC Fabio ?

73’ Pete, N5KD.

[...]

Dave, modern Radio can, for example, do RTTY "inside" the radio and log the QSO "inside" the radio.
Have the right time in the radio clock is not only to know the current time.
We have PC, mobile phone and why not, also a clock on the wall.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 04:38:51 PM GMT+1, Dave Colliau <n8dc-8@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree with you Dave.
On the 7300 facebook page the argument is the rig time needs to be correct so any audio recorded has the correct time stamp.
I’ve recorded audio off air maybe twice.

73’ Pete, N5KD.

[...]

Hi Pete,
install Python (version 3.x), after add the module: pip install pyserial
Edit the script with notepad:

serialport = "put_here_your_com_port"
baudrate = 19200  #change to match your radio
gmtoffset = 0  #change to a negative or positive offset from GMT if you

run it with the Command Prompt.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 04:52:11 PM GMT+1, n5kd <n5kd@...> wrote:

[...]