Unable to change data in logbook window

Ken McVie

Hi all, hope you all enjoyed a good Xmas!

I have a problem with not being able to change any data in the logbook window for any QSO's recorded there. This has been like this for the last few updates [currently on 3.50.424] can't remember when it started as I don't normally have to alter anything already in the log.

When I left click on a line in the logbook window the whole line turns Yellow [this is as always been] but when I left click on a cell in that line I can't alter anything in there. Any help much appreciated.

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

kenfilmer@outlook.com

Morning Ken

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on this group..

I hope I’ve understood the problem correctly, to  change what’s in the logbook window I simply right click on whatever cell I want to change, use delete and retype in the correct info, just like using F2 on an Excel document.

That’s always worked for me, but not having read all the instructions I wasn’t aware there was a correct way to do it.

73

Ken

G3XPO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi all, hope you all enjoyed a good Xmas!

I have a problem with not being able to change any data in the logbook window for any QSO's recorded there. This has been like this for the last few updates [currently on 3.50.424] can't remember when it started as I don't normally have to alter anything already in the log.

When I left click on a line in the logbook window the whole line turns Yellow [this is as always been] but when I left click on a cell in that line I can't alter anything in there. Any help much appreciated.

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply,

Following the help file instructions doesn't work here any more, for some reason. I just tried it again using your method & that don't work either!! This all used to work OK but somethings happened along the line to disrupt it. The computer is W10 Home with all updates.

I'll see if anybody comes up with something that will sort this out. Maybe the new L32 will fix it, who knows! You stay safe over there, & have a good New Year.

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 26/12/2020 11:06 pm, kenfilmer@... wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

kenfilmer@outlook.com

Ah, sorry Ken. My method works for me but right clicking doesn’t work for me, it just lists a load of options.

I’m also using W10 which so far MS hasn’t managed to screw up with their updates so everything with L32 is working exactly as it should.

I think virus wise you are pretty safe down there but we are having it rough, had a pretty quiet Christmas compared to what we normally have.

Happy New Year to you and yours Ken, best from us all here.

73

Ken

G3XPO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi all, hope you all enjoyed a good Xmas!

I have a problem with not being able to change any data in the logbook window for any QSO's recorded there. This has been like this for the last few updates [currently on 3.50.424] can't remember when it started as I don't normally have to alter anything already in the log.

When I left click on a line in the logbook window the whole line turns Yellow [this is as always been] but when I left click on a cell in that line I can't alter anything in there. Any help much appreciated.

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Jim SIMON

Ken,

I suspect there are multiple ways to make changes in the log data, but what I do is click on the cell I want to change, placing the cursor after the last digit of the entry I want to change, backspace to erase the digits I want to change, and substitute the new data.

Not very sophisticated, but it works for me without any problem.

Hope that helps.

73,

Jim  W1YY

Hi all, hope you all enjoyed a good Xmas!

I have a problem with not being able to change any data in the logbook window for any QSO's recorded there. This has been like this for the last few updates [currently on 3.50.424] can't remember when it started as I don't normally have to alter anything already in the log.

When I left click on a line in the logbook window the whole line turns Yellow [this is as always been] but when I left click on a cell in that line I can't alter anything in there. Any help much appreciated.

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

You are supposed to LEFT click on it Ken, not right click. Try that and see if it works.

Yes we are good virus wise, but if they open the borders to much we'll get it again for sure. People here are getting complacent, they are not following the rules for using their phones for scanning when they go into a shop, etc.

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 27/12/2020 9:03 am, kenfilmer@... wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

Hi Jim,

Your method doesn't work here either!! It doesn't matter what I do, I can't change anything on a line. I left click on a line anywhere, & most of the windows open give a bit of a flash, like they are somehow involved, & nothing else happens. L32 works ok in all other regards, as far as I can tell.

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 27/12/2020 9:04 am, Jim SIMON wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Gary Hinson

Hi Ken.

For some time now (months) I have had problems editing my logbook too, particularly just after I have logged a QSO.  After clicking to select a logbook field such as the notes, there is a pregnant pause before the yellow background appears, and a load of flickering around as the band maps are re-drawn (twice) and the cursor flicks briefly to the log entry pane call field, before I get to add or edit the note.  Then, after typing/editing the text (which I can do – unlike you!) and hitting <Enter> to save the change, there is another pregnant pause while Logger32 saves the change.  It can be very frustrating to have to wait ~10 to 20 seconds for a simple edit, especially if there is someone calling me for my next QSO!

Maybe you just need to slow down a bit, mate.   Or not edit your log as much!

I’m using the current version 4 beta, by the way, so that’s not the Ultimate Solution, unfortunately, despite being generally quicker thanks to a database engine upgrade.

Bob had me use Tools -> Database maintenance -> Rebuild logbook which did reduce the pregnants but still didn’t completely solve them.  Closing and restarting Logger32 may also help.  Failing that, bring on the sacrificial animal.

Hi all, hope you all enjoyed a good Xmas!

I have a problem with not being able to change any data in the logbook window for any QSO's recorded there. This has been like this for the last few updates [currently on 3.50.424] can't remember when it started as I don't normally have to alter anything already in the log.

When I left click on a line in the logbook window the whole line turns Yellow [this is as always been] but when I left click on a cell in that line I can't alter anything in there. Any help much appreciated.

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

Hi Gary,

Well I don't have your symptoms!!  And I rarely have to edit the log. I discovered this problem when I went to update a name for a contact, which had changed since last time I worked that callsign many years ago. Closing & restarting does not help either, as this computer gets started mostly once a day, & if I slow down, ham radio would just about stop here at the moment!! [last contact 29th Nov!!]

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 27/12/2020 1:41 pm, Gary Hinson wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

After discussing this with Gary, I renamed my .ini file, after saving numerous copies of my log & .ini file, then restarted L32 so it made a new .ini file. I then made a couple of dummy qso's & I can now edit anything in a QSO line in the logbook window. So the problem lies with the .ini file - anybody know where to look to correct this? Any help much appreciated!!

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

ja1nlx

Ken

First try is to delete [wndLogbookPage Settings] in your current Logger32.ini.

If this fix the problem then you need to re-configure settings only for Logbook page window.

73

On 2020/12/27 15:58, Ken McVie wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

ja1nlx

Ken

It should read

First try is to delete all lines under [wndLogbookPage Settings] in your current Logger32.ini.

73

On 2020/12/27 16:21, ja1nlx via groups.io wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

Thanks for that JA1NLX, i'm a bit busy now, but will try that later & post the results.

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 27/12/2020 8:23 pm, ja1nlx wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

JA1NLX    I have been comparing the two ini files, & the only thing I can really see different is the item -- Logbook Page Index Column. My original .ini file has this as 0 [zero] and the new .ini file has this as 46. What difference will this make? Should I change the original to match the new one & try it?

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 27/12/2020 8:34 pm, Ken McVie via groups.io wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

ja1nlx

Ken

"oroginal ini" means that it cause your problem ?

What "new ini" means ?

73

aki  ja1nlx

On 2020/12/27 16:58, Ken McVie wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

ja1nlx

Ken

If you rename original ini and run Logger32 then "new ini" is created.

If it works then you need to configure ALL settings.

So my suggestions is that delete all lines under [wndLogbookPage Settings]

If it works then you need to configure all settings only for Logbook page window.

I do not know "index"......

73

aki  ja1nlx

On 2020/12/27 17:03, ja1nlx via groups.io wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

kenfilmer@outlook.com

Well as I said Ken not having read the rule book to right click, my incorrect left click method does work. Right clicking doesn’t work for me so I shall happily continue using my method in happy ignorance of the correct method.

You are lucky in being as isolated as you are with a less densely populated island compared to us. Its probably complacency here that has driven this latest spike in infections. Even now some people won’t wear masks in shops which seems pretty anti-social to me.

Our best hope is the vaccine. To date 1,000,000 have had the Pfizer vaccine and the Oxford vaccine is due before this year ends. I cannot wait for this awful, boring, frustrating period to end!

Take care!

Ken

G3XPO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi all, hope you all enjoyed a good Xmas!

I have a problem with not being able to change any data in the logbook window for any QSO's recorded there. This has been like this for the last few updates [currently on 3.50.424] can't remember when it started as I don't normally have to alter anything already in the log.

When I left click on a line in the logbook window the whole line turns Yellow [this is as always been] but when I left click on a cell in that line I can't alter anything in there. Any help much appreciated.

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Ken McVie

Aki

I deleted all those entries under  [wndLogbookPage Settings] then started L32 with that .ini file. Then the task of re-configuring the logbook page. It's all done now, & I'm happy to say my problem has gone away, so thank you for the advice.!

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 27/12/2020 9:12 pm, ja1nlx wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

ja1nlx

Ken

Good news !

Occasionally we see something wrong ini. It is not easy to find the cause.

Take care and enjoy

73

aki  ja1nlx

On 2020/12/27 18:30, Ken McVie wrote:

[...]

From the help File --

You can change the data in any cell by left-clicking in that cell and simply typing in the correct information. After you have made the change, you must save the change by one of the following actions:

73

Ken ZL4NR

Mornin’ Ken.

Sounds like you’ve fixed it – well done!

You might like to save a copy of the .INI that works so you can go back to it later if needs be.

Problems in the .INI are quite rare, but having a working .INI to try out makes it easier if you ever need to recover your current setup without having to reconfigure the entire Logger32 system from scratch.

Utilities such as WinMerge let you compare the saved (working) and current (broken) .INIs side-by-side on the screen, highlighting any differences.  That makes it a bit easier to find, check and either retain or drop any changes, while retaining all the common bits … but still it can be a tedious process of trial and error.  Simply reverting to the saved .INI and manually reconfiguring Logger32 from there may be a better option.  Either way, having a known good .INI is a useful basis … and this incident has prompted me to make a copy of my current Logger32.INI, just in case.

PS  Maybe we should mention this in the new Logger32 v4 User Manual, adding to the FAQs and tips already in there.