Topics

Interesting one for Rick..

Vince Shirley

Jim,,

Thank you, I'll try that..

Vince

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 12:01, Jim Altman <jaltman636@...> wrote:

Do a lookup on YC8AIC.  Clearing the log entry doesn’t even stop it.  You have do another lookup. 

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vince Shirley
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 4:44 PM
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Interesting one for Rick..

Rick,

Thank you - I'm sure the issue is here..

It's a very strange thing and doesn't seem to have any common features from one system to another.  The last time I had it probably as much as 9 or 10 years ago, it was Microham Router which was the culprit, so I now don't know what to do for the best.  I've no idea where it comes from as all scans with four different malware detectors have drawn a blank, even when I run them in safe mode.

I uninstalled the Lookup and it doesn't seem to happen, re-installed it and it does but - and it's a big but - it's so random and irregular that you can never be sure that it's gone or still there.

For the time being I've reluctantly uninstalled the Lookup again and I'll give it another few weeks to show.

Thanks again,

Vince

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 at 21:03, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

Hi Vince..

There are no sound aspects to the Lookup at all the only time sound might be heard is if the call you looked up has sounds on their QRZ lookup page. The Microsoft control that displays the lookup information is a control build around Internet Explorer so it would play the sound on the lookup page thru the speakers but the actual lookup program has no sound calls to it at all..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vince Shirley
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 2:12 PM
Subject: [hamlogger] Interesting one for Rick..

Hi all,

This is a good one - after many years away, the Random Music Virus appears to be back.

The interesting thing this time is my PC sound panel says its coming from "Logger32 Callsign Lookups"

I wouldn't for a minute suggest that Rick's programme is compromised in any way, I'm sure he takes steps to prevent any malware incursions, but after monitoring it's behavior for a couple of weeks, it does only do this when that programme is active. 

Just for the record the music is very random in style, varying from classical on one hand through MOR, current pop and old-school rock

I have Kaspersky Internet security and a full scan is clear, also checked with MalwareBytes and that's clear too.

Vince G0ORC

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Jim Altman

Do a lookup on YC8AIC.  Clearing the log entry doesn’t even stop it.  You have do another lookup. 

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

Rick,

It's a very strange thing and doesn't seem to have any common features from one system to another.  The last time I had it probably as much as 9 or 10 years ago, it was Microham Router which was the culprit, so I now don't know what to do for the best.  I've no idea where it comes from as all scans with four different malware detectors have drawn a blank, even when I run them in safe mode.

I uninstalled the Lookup and it doesn't seem to happen, re-installed it and it does but - and it's a big but - it's so random and irregular that you can never be sure that it's gone or still there.

For the time being I've reluctantly uninstalled the Lookup again and I'll give it another few weeks to show.

Thanks again,

Vince

Hi Vince..

There are no sound aspects to the Lookup at all the only time sound might be heard is if the call you looked up has sounds on their QRZ lookup page. The Microsoft control that displays the lookup information is a control build around Internet Explorer so it would play the sound on the lookup page thru the speakers but the actual lookup program has no sound calls to it at all..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vince Shirley

Hi all,

This is a good one - after many years away, the Random Music Virus appears to be back.

The interesting thing this time is my PC sound panel says its coming from "Logger32 Callsign Lookups"

I wouldn't for a minute suggest that Rick's programme is compromised in any way, I'm sure he takes steps to prevent any malware incursions, but after monitoring it's behavior for a couple of weeks, it does only do this when that programme is active. 

Just for the record the music is very random in style, varying from classical on one hand through MOR, current pop and old-school rock

I have Kaspersky Internet security and a full scan is clear, also checked with MalwareBytes and that's clear too.

Vince G0ORC

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Jim Altman

You haven’t noticed that it does it when you look certain callsigns?  There are people who embed music into their QRZ page and I find it most annoying.

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

Rick,

Thanks again,

Vince

Hi Vince..

73 Rick N2AMG

Hi all,

Vince G0ORC

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Vince Shirley

Rick,

Thanks again,

Vince

Hi Vince..

73 Rick N2AMG

Hi all,

Vince G0ORC

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Rick Ellison

Hi Vince..

73 Rick N2AMG

Hi all,

Vince G0ORC

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Vince Shirley

Hi all,

Vince G0ORC