Problem with submode DXCC satistics

Milan Pračka

Hi all,

I have been using Logger32 for many years, maybe 20 or more. Now I am running version 3.50.420 on Win10 64 bit.
My problem I found accidentally is incorrect DXCC statistics for submodes like PSK31, PSK63, QPSK64 etc. in PSK mode and FT4, JS8 etc in MFSK mode.
I found that QSOs made by any submode and logged with that submode name like FT4, PSK31 etc. ARE NOT INCLUDED in corresponding Worked/Confirmed window column (MFSK or PSK) or consolidated (DIG) at all !!! Unfortunately there is no column in Worked/Confirmed window with submode name heading to go deeper.
Even more, those QSO are not included in consolidated mode DXCC award statistics, for example DXCC_DIGITAL too. But if I choose single submode DXCC statistics, for example QPSK63, QSOs missed in "group" statistics will appear (eg. statistics for single submode seems to be correct).
By the end, Complete DXCC statistics - DXCC_MIXED is CORRECT and all QSOs are included !!!

First, my Bands & Modes table is correct - all "mode" items are ADIF modes NOT submodes.
Second, Phone/Digital Mode Setup table is correct - both MFSK and PSK modes are included in digital statistics. There are no submode items there.
Third, the file ADIFModes.txt is correct too and I made no changes in it.

Only thing which "works" is to insert new line into ADIFModes.txt file with submode name, for example PSK31, and recalculate statistics. But it is not acceptable method because of breaking ADIF compatibility (modes & submodes categories).

Any idea or help ? If anybody has the same experience or can check that effect, please, let me know, I would appreciate it.

73, Milan OK1DMP

ja1nlx

Milan

Check following.

1. ADIFModes.txt It should be like this.

2. Band&Mode table. It should be like this.

3. Setup Phone/Digital table. It should be like this.

73

On 2020/08/09 17:23, Milan Pračka wrote:
[...]

Hi Aki,

thanks for your response. My ADIFModes.txt file is practically the same. To include submodes into Phone/Digital Setup table can maybe help (it was so before ADIF submodes introduction) but in the Logger32 help manual  (Logger32.pdf - downloaded from Logger32 web) this solution is not recommended - see page 41 :
********************
o Band for this segment - Must be a valid ADIF Band;
o Mode for this segment - Must be a valid ADIF Mode definition. Note:that PSK31, PSK63 etc. are not ADIF Modes but ADIF Submodes.
********************
According this your setup is incorrect but WORKS :-).
There is another workaroud method - ADIF export of the complete log, change all submodes to modes, for example PSK31->PSK, FT4->MFSK etc. and import back but I don't like it.
Phone/Digital Mode Setup table depends on Band & Modes table above and items are generated automatically.

My corresponding tables are as follows:

Note: there is ADIF modes MFSK and PSK in the table, not FT4, PSK31 etc. submodes for example. But FT8, JT9 etc. are correct ADIF modes, not submodes.

Part of the ADIFModes.txt file:
************************
JT44
JT65 =JT65A,JT65B,JT65B2,JT65C,JT65C2
MFSK =FSQCALL,FT4,JS8,MFSK4,MFSK8,MFSK11,MFSK16,MFSK22,MFSK31,MFSK32,MFSK64,MFSK128
MSK144
MT63
OLIVIA =OLIVIA 4/125,OLIVIA 4/250,OLIVIA 8/250,OLIVIA 8/500,OLIVIA 16/500,OLIVIA 16/1000,OLIVIA 32/1000
OPERA =OPERA-BEACON,OPERA-QSO
PAC =PAC2,PAC3,PAC4
PAX =PAX2
PKT
PSK =FSK31,PSK10,PSK31,PSK63,PSK63F,PSK125,PSK250,PSK500,PSK1000,PSKAM10,PSKAM31,PSKAM50,PSKFEC31,QPSK31,QPSK63,QPSK125,QPSK250,QPSK500,SIM31
PSK2K
Q15
QRA64 =QRA64A,QRA64B,QRA64C,QRA64D,QRA64E
According to manual it MUST (or better should) work so. Strange is that "MIXED" DXCC award statistics works correctly (see bellow) - it means submodes are "some-how" transformed and interpreted. Worked/Confirmed satistics not at all.

Concrete example: I have only two QSOs (use QRP only) with ZL7 - PSK32 on 20M and CW on 17M.
MIXED, CW and PSK31 statistics are correct. Both DIGITAL statistics and WKD/CFM window show modes only NOT submodes.

         I believe there is a bug in the program.

All the best and thanks again for your effort,

73 Milan OK1DMP

Bob

Milan, thank you for the detailed reply. Your observation about bandPlan setup (page 41 of the PDF help file is correct). You will notice that the column header is Submode. The change to the documentation was missed when submodes were reintroduced. It will be corrected.

Now to address your reported bug with statistics for DIGITAL DXCC. Please look at the ZL7 20M/PSK31 QSO. If you export the QSO in ADIF format, do you see the MODE as PSK and SUBMODE as PSK31? Please confirm that in your Setup Phone/Digital Window that PSK31 is listed and checked as a Digital Mode.

73.

On 08/09/2020 7:06 AM Milan Pračka <ok1dmp@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob,

many thanks for information - its very important and it is not problem for me to correct both tables.
I have exported the log in both ADIF and CSV format. The export is correct. If QSOs was worked in any submode - for example:
<MODE:3>PSK <SUBMODE:6>QPSK63
or
<MODE:4>MFSK <SUBMODE:3>FT4
It must be right in the log because "global" MIXED statistics works.
I have only MODE items (not submode) in Band & Modes table and therefore there is no item like PSK31, FT4 etc in the Phone/Digital Mode Setup table.
So, I will add all submodes (PSK31, PSK63... FT4...) into Band & Modes table, then all such items will appear in Phone/Digital Mode table and that's all to do.

For check, I changed item "PSK" to "PSK31" on 20M (QSO with ZL7) and the Worked/Confirmed table looks as follows now:

   I believe statistics will work again.

73, Milan OK1DMP

ja1nlx

Milan

Are you referring to the latest Help file (3.50.420 Beta1) ???

It says like this in Page 45 in PDF

73

On 2020/08/09 20:06, Milan Pračka wrote:
[...]

Martin G0HDB

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 02:12 PM, Bob wrote:
Milan, thank you for the detailed reply. Your observation about bandPlan setup (page 41 of the PDF help file is correct). You will notice that the column header is Submode. The change to the documentation was missed when submodes were reintroduced. It will be corrected.
Hi Bob, further to your posting above I  hope you can help me, as a newly-converted and inexperienced user of Logger32, to understand a few things...

In my logbook, imported from my previously-preferred logging app, I have a relatively small number of QSOs that were made using modes such as HELL, THROB, TOR, OLIVIA and MFSK16, and there's even a single HF packet (PKT) QSO in there.  The few-dozen TOR QSOs in particular are on several bands.

In order to get all these QSOs included in the stats, am I correct in understanding that I'll need to edit my Band & Modes table to include a segment for each of those modes on every band on which a QSO took place?  It could take a while to check which band every QSO was on and might also result in the Bands & Modes table getting pretty messy...  :-)

I don't want to have a column for each of these 'oddball' modes displayed in the Worked/Confirmed table; am I again correct in understanding that if I mark the entry for each of these modes in the Bands & Modes table with an N in the Stats column then they won't appear in the Worked/Confirmed table but will be included in the overall stats?

73, and thanks in advance,

--
Martin G0HDB

Bob

Martyn, Here's what I'd do. I'd simply add (as an example) a 13cm band to my BandPlan. A single row with a single frequency for each of the oddball modes/submodes you want to import. The mode needs only appear once in the BandPlan to be known to Logger32. 73.

On 08/23/2020 12:12 PM Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:

[...]

... and I forgot to mention, after adding these oddball modes to your BandPlan, add them to the list of Digital modes. Finally recalculate your statistics. 73.

On 08/23/2020 12:22 PM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the suggestions, Bob.  It's helpful to know that a mode only needs to appear once anywhere in the BandPlan to be recognised by the app.

I've just done as you suggested - I've assigned the 'oddball' modes to 70cms which is a band I never use and have also ticked them in Phone/Digital Mode setup, and I've recalculated the stats so hopefully all the QSOs in the log will now be correctly accounted-for.

A further question for you - what happens if, in the BandPlan, there are several modes specified with the same frequency range?  For example, I've added PSK31, PSK63 and PSK125 to my bandplan for 10m and have specified them all as having freqs of 28065 to 28075kHz; this range overlaps with the freqs for several other modes (eg. FT8 between 28074 and 28076kHz).  I understand that the lower frequencies for all the modes must be in descending order for each band in the table but what constraints are there on the modes' upper frequencies?

Martin G0HDB

Bob

Martin, Your configuration of overlapping frequencies is common, As an example, as the last row in 10m, I have CW from 28.0 to 29.7MHz. Of course, everything above this row in 10m is within the CW frequency range.

If/when Logger32 needs to attempt to find an operating mode for a frequency it starts at the very top of the BandPlan and works its way down row by row until it finds a match. As an example, a DX Spot of 28.5 MHz would probably find a match of SSB before it worked its way to the bottom of 10m and found the CW match. If the user does not operate SSB, then it probably would find the CW match.

OK? 73.

On 08/23/2020 4:03 PM Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi again Bob, many thanks for your explanation of how the app reads and interprets the entries in the BandPlan table; it all makes perfect sense and I think it might help me to simplify the changes I've already made to my version of the BandPlan

I expect I'll have further questions about various aspects of Logger32 as I gradually try to become more familiar with the subtleties of its functionality, but in the meantime I'm grateful for your help thus far.

Martin G0HDB

Bob

Martin, I encourage you to download the latest version of the Help file and study it. It is well over 400 pages and contains a wealth of detail missed by most. Your journey from a Logger32 newbie today to a Power User tomorrow will be much easier and rewarding if you take the time, and make the effort. Good luck, SeventyThree(s).

To find the latest version, Google logger32 github releases

On 08/24/2020 5:18 AM Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:

Hi again Bob, many thanks for your explanation of how the app reads and interprets the entries in the BandPlan table; it all makes perfect sense and I think it might help me to simplify the changes I've already made to my version of the BandPlan

I expect I'll have further questions about various aspects of Logger32 as I gradually try to become more familiar with the subtleties of its functionality, but in the meantime I'm grateful for your help thus far.

Martin G0HDB

Martin G0HDB

Hi Bob, apologies for the delay in replying to your last msg...

Yes, I had already downloaded the most recent version of the Help file and had tried unsuccessfully to find the answers to my queries; perhaps I need to go back to the doc't and try again...  :-)

Martin G0HDB