Topics

Bandmap missing FT8

Marty W0EET

Greetings
Ft8 dx cluster spots don't appear in my VE7CC Cluster Telnet connection in L32 apparently because the Bandmap doesn't have mapping of Ft8 although other digital modes are there. Now I suppose I could edit the mapping to include all those Ft8 fqs but since so many of us use that mode, couldn't it be incorporated in an L32 update?

73,
Marty W0EET

Bob

Marty, can you be a little more specific. I connected to VE7CC and I get an avalanche of of FT8 DX Spots. Like this:

and in the DX Spots Window, I see this:

And the tooltip for AE4CC on 10M shows this:

It even knew 28074 was an FT8 frequency. Let's see what's in the 10M BandPlan:

and there isn't even a 10M segment in there. Magic. If you go back to the first picture, You'll notice that the FT8 DX Spots are from and aggregator or skimmer. In that case, Logger32 does not need to go to the BandPlan to figure out what the mode is, it's right there as the first word of the comment field.

And, one final point if I may. If I can paraphrase your question "We FT8 users are too bone idle to edit our own BandPlans, can you do it for us?" Did I miss something? SeventyThree(s).

On June 9, 2020 at 1:56 PM Marty W0EET <mhtmr10@...> wrote:

Greetings
Ft8 dx cluster spots don't appear in my VE7CC Cluster Telnet connection in L32 apparently because the Bandmap doesn't have mapping of Ft8 although other digital modes are there. Now I suppose I could edit the mapping to include all those Ft8 fqs but since so many of us use that mode, couldn't it be incorporated in an L32 update?

73,
Marty W0EET

Vince Shirley

Marty,

Kerpow!!.... You asked for that.

FT8 bores the pants off me, but even I managed to do that for myself.

Vince G0ORC

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 19:30, Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:
[...]

Bob and Vince,
Thanks for your detailed yet inappropriate and unnecessarily condescending responses. The problem was I, as a first time Telnet user, assumed VE7CC was streaming spots based on my filter settings and didn't look carefully enough at the content detail. In reality, they filter out FT8 spots by default. If you're seeing FT8 spots you must have turned it on via command line as described at VE7CC. So when I wasn't seeing FT8 spots in L32 I assumed there was a problem with the filtering in the DX Spotting. My bad.

And one final point if I may. I'm a casual FT8 user, almost exclusively on 6m. I agree it's "mindless" but with a compromise antenna during the sunspot minimum it's better than nothing. I've been licensed since the mid '60s, have 324 countries confirmed, have built numerous QRP transceivers and antenna systems, tens of thousands of CW contacts operating from 3 countries, been coding since Basic, a BSEE. SO BUGGER OFF.

SeventyThree(s)

Bob

Ha! I think you'll enjoy it on this reflector. SeventyThree(s).

PS. the following is an extract from the groups.io intro to this reflector ... However, there is always the risk of being castigated and publicly flogged on this reflector, it adds to the challenge, and (hopefully) encourages people to try to figure out things for themselves ...