Topics

4RE: [hamlogger] L32 and SDR Console

Chuck Miller

Bob;
Thanks again for all your help. I did learn a lot about SDRs and logger 32 configuration. I looked at some other loggers to see if they might work. In the end, I made up my mind that if it was a choice between Logger32 and the SDR. I would forego the SDR and stay with Logger32. The only other logger that I sometimes use is N1MM+ for contesting, and then import the ADIF into L32. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out and while it's working (sort of) I'm going to investigate the SDR Tx/Rx switch. One big advantage to that route would you can check other bands ( what ever your antenna covers) instead of just the one band the radio is on. I think you've got the best general purpose logger going (IMO). I've been with you since the Zakanaka days, and plan to stay.

73 my friend,
Chuck
N0NC

Bob

Chuck, OK I think. I had to Google FT-1000 IF tap. If it were me, I'd simply connect the SDR to an antenna using an SDR Tx/Rx switch (I have read reports they provide in the order of 90dB isolation). Anyway, we're done, the bug is fixed. Enjoy. SeventyThree(s).

On February 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Well, while that did fix the problem with the erratic frequency, it turns out that since I am using a "IF" tap from the Yaesu, Omni-Rig has to talk directly to the FT-1000mp or it doesn't get any RF at the rigs frequency. So it turned perfectly, but nothing to display because with out using Omni-rig, the radio was listening on 70.455000 Mhz ( the if freq from the Yaesu). I think I'm going to investigate using the rx antenna jack on to 1000, effectively connecting the SDR straight to the antenna which I think will then work the way Rick's installation does.

Thanks for all your help Bob
73, Chuck
N0NC

Chuck Miller

Well, while that did fix the problem with the erratic frequency, it turns out that since I am using a "IF" tap from the Yaesu, Omni-Rig has to talk directly to the FT-1000mp or it doesn't get any RF at the rigs frequency. So it turned perfectly, but nothing to display because with out using Omni-rig, the radio was listening on 70.455000 Mhz ( the if freq from the Yaesu). I think I'm going to investigate using the rx antenna jack on to 1000, effectively connecting the SDR straight to the antenna which I think will then work the way Rick's installation does.

Thanks for all your help Bob
73, Chuck
N0NC

Bob

But wait, yesterday configuration was just a simple Yaesu on the CAT port and SDR connected to the Slave port. Because the messages to the SDR where incorrectly formatted, the SDR did not QSY correctly. The problem (now fixed) was caused by older Yaesu radios giving a frequency that often had more than three decimal points. So, why is it necessary to change the configuration from yesterday?  73.

On February 18, 2020 at 4:03 PM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Well I've finally got it to work by connecting it backwards. I can't do it the way Rick does, I don't think he uses an if tap. I have one installed in the Yaesu, and SDR-console has to talk directly to the radio through Omnirig. then I set up logger 32 to talk to SDR-console through a virtual port. The only thing I can't get to work are some buttons I programed in the radio control panel to select various filtersect, the commands aren't sent to the Yaesu, but to the sdr. Pretty much everything else works, sound card, cluster etc.

Using an if tap, SDR-Console Must control the transciever through OmniRig or it gets no rf. I think if I had used an external splitter  ( or rx antenna jack method) I could use Ricks method, but since I use an if tap,this is the only way I can get it to work.

Chuck Miller

Well I've finally got it to work by connecting it backwards. I can't do it the way Rick does, I don't think he uses an if tap. I have one installed in the Yaesu, and SDR-console has to talk directly to the radio through Omnirig. then I set up logger 32 to talk to SDR-console through a virtual port. The only thing I can't get to work are some buttons I programed in the radio control panel to select various filtersect, the commands aren't sent to the Yaesu, but to the sdr. Pretty much everything else works, sound card, cluster etc.

Using an if tap, SDR-Console Must control the transciever through OmniRig or it gets no rf. I think if I had used an external splitter  ( or rx antenna jack method) I could use Ricks method, but since I use an if tap,this is the only way I can get it to work.

Chuck Miller

Here's the radio debug window;

and here's the slave debug window;

I've changed to use a different USB to RS-232 adapter cable.
73, Chuck
N0NC

Bob

Chuck, clearly that's your problem, but I can't duplicate it here by simulation. I have been through the code line by line but don't see anything wrong. I assume that the radio debug window monitoring the FT-1000 CAT is showing stable results. Can you take a picture for me showing polls of the radio and replies while turning the VFO. If you could stretch the window vertically so several poll replies are visible. Thanks, 73.

On February 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Actually it was set to 600 ms. I changed it 100 ms, and then 200 ms as you asked, same result erratic data sent to SDR

73, cHUCK
N0NC

Chuck Miller

I even slowed the baud rate on both ends to 4800, (same as the ft1000mp), but still get erratic results.
N0NC

Chuck Miller

Actually it was set to 600 ms. I changed it 100 ms, and then 200 ms as you asked, same result erratic data sent to SDR

73, cHUCK
N0NC

Bob

Chuck, another step closer, but still not quite there. Notice that the commands are unstable - Some are FA07xxxx, some are 007xxxx, and  some are FA00007xxxx. If the FT-1000 on 40M, they should all be FA00007xxxx. So, why the instability? What is the poll period set in your FT-1000 configuration? Maybe it's too fast. As an experiment, temporarily set it to 200ms (you can always crank it back up later). SeventyThree(s).

On February 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Step 1 Done
Step 2 Done nothing happens
Step 3 a. yes
           b. yes
           c.

           d. sdr-cosole tunes to 7.030.005.625

73, Chuck
N0NC

Chuck Miller

Edited

Step 1 Done
Step 2 Done nothing happens
Step 3 a. yes
           b. yes
           c.

           d. sdr-cosole tunes to 7.030.005.625
           e. SDR-COnsole recieves no rf

73, Chuck
N0NC

Bob

"So close, yet so far" (from the Elvis Presley song). Chuck, you have demonstrated that the slave port setup is correct - The SDR responds to Logger32 polls and tries to put the FT-1000 on 142 MHz. As far as I can tell, all that is missing is to find out why the SDR is not responding to frequency/mode commands. Easy to take the next step ... Please do this test step by step and report on your observation ...

1) Turn ON the option THE SLAVE PORT SYNCHRONIZES A SECOND .... Turn OFF the ENABLE POLLING OF THE SLAVE PORT ... option, and finally turn ON the SLAVE FOLLOWS VFO A option in the Slave port configuration window. Click APPLY.

2) With both the FT-1000 and the SDR running, open the Slave port debug window. You should see nothing hsppening.  Please confirm this.

3) Change the VFO frequency on the FT-1000. Confirm three things:
    a) The radio changes frequency
    b) The frequency shown in the Logbook Entry Window changes
    c)  You see commands from Logger32 to the slave radio like this

73.

On February 16, 2020 at 9:48 PM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Bob and Rick, I've tried all the things you've suggested, and some times it looks like it's trying to work, but L32 keeps flashing a message that band plan has no entries for 142.619375 mhz, which is the same freq that  sdr-console is trying to listen to. Also I can't change modes on the ft1000mp field, sdr console keeps changing it right back. also sdr-console recieves no rf unless the Yaesu is talking to omni-rig. I tried a splitter virtual serial port but same thing, both programs change frequency at random.  The whole thing is a waste of time, having spent days trying to figure it out, I've come to the conclusion that Sdr-console is a fine program, and Logger32 is my favorite logger. But they just won't work together with the FT1000MP Mkv field. So unless someone with the exact same setup wants to provide some help, I just going to can SDR-console and stick with L32.

Chuck Miller

[...]

... and to follow up, if/when you turn off slave polling, on the Slave Debug Window you should see only command messages from the radio to the SDR when the radio changes frequency/mode. SeventyThree(s).

On February 15, 2020 at 12:51 AM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

What do you see in the Slave Debug window? From what you describe, it sounds like the SDR is replying to polls, but not responding to commands. You should be able to see this in the Slave Debug Window. Also, if you look at the Slave Port Setup Window (Click SETUP | RADIO | SLAVE PORT CONFIGURATION), you will see an option to ENABLE POLLING OF THE SLAVE RECEIVER/TRANSCEIVER ... As a temporary test, UNcheck this option and click APPLY. This will turn off the polling of the SDR and temporarily allow you to focus on the commands from Logger32 to set the SDR frequency/mode. Once you have that squared away, you can get fancy. SeventyThree(s).
On February 14, 2020 at 11:08 PM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Rick I tried exactly what you said, right down to the port numbers. It doesn't work. In fact, it interferes with L32 controlling the rig (can't change modes ect.) until I close sdr-console. I think I'll unplug all the USB cables and try a different USB to RS-232 convertor on the radio to see if that changes any thing.
Thanks again for you help.
73,
Chuck
N0NC

Bob

[...]

Thanks Rick; I'll give that a try. I thought I had already, but I was changing so many things, I'll follow your example exactly. Been away for a few days at the VA hospital. I'll report back after I try your example.
73, Chuck
N0NC

Rick Ellison

Ok I will try this a bit later have to go spend some more $$ with the wife..

73