Topics

4RE: [hamlogger] L32 and SDR Console

Chuck Miller

Well I've finally got it to work by connecting it backwards. I can't do it the way Rick does, I don't think he uses an if tap. I have one installed in the Yaesu, and SDR-console has to talk directly to the radio through Omnirig. then I set up logger 32 to talk to SDR-console through a virtual port. The only thing I can't get to work are some buttons I programed in the radio control panel to select various filtersect, the commands aren't sent to the Yaesu, but to the sdr. Pretty much everything else works, sound card, cluster etc.

Using an if tap, SDR-Console Must control the transciever through OmniRig or it gets no rf. I think if I had used an external splitter  ( or rx antenna jack method) I could use Ricks method, but since I use an if tap,this is the only way I can get it to work.

Bob

But wait, yesterday configuration was just a simple Yaesu on the CAT port and SDR connected to the Slave port. Because the messages to the SDR where incorrectly formatted, the SDR did not QSY correctly. The problem (now fixed) was caused by older Yaesu radios giving a frequency that often had more than three decimal points. So, why is it necessary to change the configuration from yesterday?  73.

On February 18, 2020 at 4:03 PM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Well I've finally got it to work by connecting it backwards. I can't do it the way Rick does, I don't think he uses an if tap. I have one installed in the Yaesu, and SDR-console has to talk directly to the radio through Omnirig. then I set up logger 32 to talk to SDR-console through a virtual port. The only thing I can't get to work are some buttons I programed in the radio control panel to select various filtersect, the commands aren't sent to the Yaesu, but to the sdr. Pretty much everything else works, sound card, cluster etc.

Using an if tap, SDR-Console Must control the transciever through OmniRig or it gets no rf. I think if I had used an external splitter  ( or rx antenna jack method) I could use Ricks method, but since I use an if tap,this is the only way I can get it to work.

Chuck Miller

Well, while that did fix the problem with the erratic frequency, it turns out that since I am using a "IF" tap from the Yaesu, Omni-Rig has to talk directly to the FT-1000mp or it doesn't get any RF at the rigs frequency. So it turned perfectly, but nothing to display because with out using Omni-rig, the radio was listening on 70.455000 Mhz ( the if freq from the Yaesu). I think I'm going to investigate using the rx antenna jack on to 1000, effectively connecting the SDR straight to the antenna which I think will then work the way Rick's installation does.

Thanks for all your help Bob
73, Chuck
N0NC

Bob

Chuck, OK I think. I had to Google FT-1000 IF tap. If it were me, I'd simply connect the SDR to an antenna using an SDR Tx/Rx switch (I have read reports they provide in the order of 90dB isolation). Anyway, we're done, the bug is fixed. Enjoy. SeventyThree(s).

On February 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Chuck Miller <cwmiller20@...> wrote:

Well, while that did fix the problem with the erratic frequency, it turns out that since I am using a "IF" tap from the Yaesu, Omni-Rig has to talk directly to the FT-1000mp or it doesn't get any RF at the rigs frequency. So it turned perfectly, but nothing to display because with out using Omni-rig, the radio was listening on 70.455000 Mhz ( the if freq from the Yaesu). I think I'm going to investigate using the rx antenna jack on to 1000, effectively connecting the SDR straight to the antenna which I think will then work the way Rick's installation does.

Thanks for all your help Bob
73, Chuck
N0NC

Chuck Miller

Bob;
Thanks again for all your help. I did learn a lot about SDRs and logger 32 configuration. I looked at some other loggers to see if they might work. In the end, I made up my mind that if it was a choice between Logger32 and the SDR. I would forego the SDR and stay with Logger32. The only other logger that I sometimes use is N1MM+ for contesting, and then import the ADIF into L32. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out and while it's working (sort of) I'm going to investigate the SDR Tx/Rx switch. One big advantage to that route would you can check other bands ( what ever your antenna covers) instead of just the one band the radio is on. I think you've got the best general purpose logger going (IMO). I've been with you since the Zakanaka days, and plan to stay.

73 my friend,
Chuck
N0NC