Topics

Feature suggestion

Jim Smith

Hello,

Something that I think would be very handy for VHF (and perhaps 10m) users.

The BandMap facility could be used to display beacons.

The user could have the option to either show - on the bandmaps - DX spots, Beacons, or both. (right click in the BandMap.. tick or uintick "Show DX Spots"  "Show Beacon data"

The beacon data could be entered by the user in a similar window/style as for the Country/Prefix or IOTA databases, so you'd have Tools.. Database Maintenance.. Beacon List.

The advantages of this is that you can use the bandmap to click on the beacons if you want to check propagation, or to help identify a beacon found when tuning around.

Obviosly, the user would have to populate the entries and then maintain them.. beacon lists are available and one could enter the ones relevent to them.

Substitute the word "beacons" for simple memories and they could have a multitude of uses, but beacon monitoring is what I am considering here.

73/Jim.

--
================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR. Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 8-element LFA for 2m, plus wideband vertical. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF, 20m Windom for HF. Summer: 3-ele 6m LFA

There are already a couple of options that may (or may not) be of interest. 1) There is an option to highlight predefined band segments.  For example you could make the lines connecting DX Spots from 28150 to 28300 show red. 2) You could zoom the 10M BandMap (or monitor BandMap) to show only DX Spots between 28150 and 28300. I'm sure there are other creative ways to get what you want. SeventyThree(s).

On February 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Jim Smith <radio@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob,

Not the same thing. That would rely on beacons being actually spotted in the last  x minutes.

I am talking about having a beacon list in a database and then displayed on a band map.

Frank - ON9CC / OT6M

Hi all,

in the past FreqPad by JA1NLX was available for the function Jim is asking.
I used FreqPad to create a list of beacons on 2m, 70cm and 23cm.
I could then just click on a beacon in the list and L32 would make my TRX switch to that QRG.
But ... I had issues with FreqPad in the past and asked JA1NLX to also add sepereate columns for QTF so i could easily sort on this column, which makes sense if your antenna is pointing in a specific direction and quickly check the beacons in that direction. Aki worked on Freqpad and sent me some beta versions, of which neither worked good (I think due to the combination of Windows10).
So I now use ver 4.7.

But ... (2) ... I just checked JA1NLX website and it seems that FreqPad is no longer available.
http://ja1nlx.web.fc2.com/logger32/UtilityProgram/UtilityProgram.htm
So indeed it would be good if this function could be implemented into L32 too ... don't know how difficult that is to program as I don't know anything of codes unfortunately.
Or you could ask Aki to make FreqPad available again.

--

73 Frank ON9CC
www.qrz.com/db/OT6M

ja1nlx

Hi Frank

I am sorry but I do not remember. I checked FreqPad 4.7 and it works so far, however
there are something wrong.

OK if you ask me new FreqPad then please tell me feature detail you want. I will try again with VB.net.
Previously it was written with VB6.

73

On 2020/08/16 17:01, Frank - ON9CC / OT6M wrote:
[...]

Hello Aki,

Sorry for my late reply, I just now noticed your answer while checking the forum, because again my whole beacon list is deleted for some unknown reason (it worked OK for many months though).
So I am using v4.7 as that was the one working best and I had about 100 beacons on 2m, 70cm and 23cm in it.

Thanks for your willingness to 'reprogram' FreqPad.
The setup can be simple and basically the same as v4.7 with 6 columns:
- Station
- Frequency
- Mode
- Locator (e.g. JO20ws)
- QTF (beamheading 0-360)
- Info

The list should be sortable (ascending/descending) by clicking on the column header.
I think that you would make a lot of VHF/UHF OP's happy with such a list :)

And I'd be happy to do testing.
Thanks in advance!

--

73 Frank ON9CC / OT6M