Topics

Omni VI

Jan Ditzian <ditzian@...>

It has been quite a while since I have had Logger working with my Omni VI. All of a sudden, after the last upgrade, the radio and computer stopped talking. However, a friend mentioned that he heard that the new version of Logger fixed a problem, so now I have Logger32 Version 2.8.0. However, things still do not work.

I am pretty sure that I am using the correct physical connection for Serial Port 2. In Windows 2000 device manager it says that my port 1 is disabled, as I know it was. The device manager is set to allow a speed of up to 57600 bauds, 8 bit, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control (I actually tried all three). Logger is set to 19200 bauds, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, polling interval 1000 ms, hex address 04. The Omni VI shows 19200, C-I d of 04, CdE ON. In Logger, the DTR and RTS boxes are not checked.

The Logger frequency does not respond to frequency changes at the VFO, and the Radio Debut Monitor shows Poll Freq and Poll Mode requests, I suspect from the computer, but no responses from the radio.

Can someone point me in a direction to find out what might be wrong?

73,
Jan, KX2A

David H. Walker <k0cop@...>

Have you tried CDE OFF?. Have you tried the mode buttons on the Six Plus to
see if that has any affect? Have you tried various Bauds like 9600? Does RIG
setup in Logger match the Baud setting in the OMNI Menu? All of the above
may sound rather basic but Omni IV sometimes has unusual problems,HI. I have
run my Omni Six with Logger 2.8 and I can't remember any big issues. I don't
have the radio on line at the moment so I can't help you in testing,Sri.

David

73,K0COP

David H. Walker
Aiken, SC
k0cop@onlymyemail.com
Virus scan by BitDefender

_____

[...]

If this email is spam, report it here:
http://www.OnlyMyEmail.com/ReportSpam
<http://www.OnlyMyEmail.com/reportSpam?Id=MTY1ODI6MTc1NTMyNTg0OmswY29wQG9ubH
lteWVtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D>

Jan Ditzian <ditzian@...>

3b. Re: Omni VI
Posted by: "David H. Walker" k0cop@onlymyemail.com k0cop
Date: Fri Oct 6, 2006 5:42 am (PDT)

Have you tried CDE OFF?. Since CDE On is the automatic response mode, I figured that this is the way to go. I turned it off and there is no change.

Have you tried the mode buttons on the Six Plus to
see if that has any affect?

No effect. I see that, when Logger32 is in "Mode from Radio," there is no mode listed in the data entry window. This means that Logger is getting nothing from the radio.

Have you tried various Bauds like 9600?

I tried 9600 already.

Does RIG
setup in Logger match the Baud setting in the OMNI Menu?

I listed what settings I had in the first e-mail, and I think that they matched: Baud, stop bits, parity, Icom Hex address. Did I miss something? The match is between Logger and the Omni. The computer port baud can be anything, as long as it is greater than 19200, I believe.

Is there still other software that interacts with the Omni, so I can see if it is a setting, or perhaps that the radio or serial cable is broken. There used to be such software, but I do not remember the name.

I am using a standard DB25 to DB9 cable, with no custom changes. Is this correct?

Date: Fri Oct 6, 2006 5:42 am (PDT)

Well, I guess you could try another comport or maybe try setting rig for the
ICOM 735(non-icom) in Logger. I have found that for some reason it takes
resetting the rig info in Logger a few times before the Logger sees the
radio. My two Omni Six Plus are vintage 19987 and 1999. I wish I had them on
line I could be more helpful. I believe you said that all was working before
the upgrade. Another program would be a good test if you have any around. If
not download something that is free and check the setup. Also maybe try
another serial cable.

Best

David

_____

If this email is spam, report it here:
http://www.OnlyMyEmail.com/ReportSpam
<http://www.OnlyMyEmail.com/reportSpam?Id=MTY1ODI6MTc1Nzk0NTkzOmswY29wQG9ubH
lteWVtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D>

John

Edited

I was so pumped to search for this topic and find someone who was having the exact problem I was.

...until I found it was my thread from a decade ago, having the same problem (albeit in another thread of the same era)

The solution was (in addition to all the other stuff like baud rate , port, word length , stop bit, etc. was to assert DTR.

Closing the loop (slowly)

John K5MO