Re: Coming soon to a screen near you

IZ5ILJ Lenio

Ciao Bob,

I think I understand the problem, the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font is bold and Bitstream Vera Sans Mono was installed in the new OS but only the normal and not the bold, whit Grid Font Bold = Falso (False) instead of Vero (True) the font is displayed normal but Logger32 does not crash.

The replacement font not found message in this case does not appear.

Even installing Bitstream Vera Sans Mono bold Logger32 does not display the font in bold but does not crash.

I hope I have been able to explain myselfs,

73's, Lenio - IZ5ILJ - #69.

Il 29/07/2021 22:51, Bob ha scritto:
No, it is not the font. In my INI I changed the Grid Font to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono (which is not on my PC). When Load Logger32, I see this:

Is it possible that your new PC is configured for English and doesn't recognize Vero/Falso? SeventyThree(s).
On 07/29/2021 4:33 PM IZ5ILJ Lenio <iz5ilj@...> wrote:

Ciao Gary,
I posted after I found the solution just because it seemed really strange to me.

The Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font was in many sections of the .ini file but only this one created problems.

Really strange thing, probably only Bob could clarify the situation. However, it is not of general interest

Il 29/07/2021 20:25, Gary Hinson ha scritto:

Kia ora Lenio,

Strange problems just like this are why the manual now says that if you choose to restore the .INI files from the old installation’s C:\Logger32\ folder to the new one, instead of manually recreating your configuration as recommended, you may have to “generally mess around with things until you get it working satisfactorily, dealing with various challenges along the way.  Sorry to be so vague here but it’s hard to know what might come up.  You’ve chosen a shorter but rockier path.”

It might be handy if there were automated integrity checks built-in to the software that verified the old configuration thoroughly when updating, identifying and resolving any config issues without bothering the user.  Unfortunately, as configurations have become lengthy and convoluted, those checks would be difficult to specify properly and complex to code effectively, making the integrity checks themselves error-prone … and so taking us right back to square 1!

Gary  ZL2iFB

PS  The same issue affects some other software such as JTDX: the official advice with JTDX is to wipe and manually recreate the entire configuration at every program update, a laborious, tedious process and a crude way but effective to deal with any invalid/inappropriate settings in the original configuration that may cause odd behaviour after an upgrade.  Personally, since I am using numerous beta versions as well as the public releases, I can’t be bothered do that every single time, only if I notice strangeness with a new version (which, thankfully, is rare).   [As it happens, I do have a little config problem with the current beta: the 60 and 6m entries are mis-aligned in the band selector, with extra zeroes shown on those bands … maybe it’s time for me to scrap and rebuild my JTDX configuration!]

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of IZ5ILJ Lenio
Sent: 30 July 2021 01:47
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Coming soon to a screen near you

Ciao Bob,

yes the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font is correctly installed in the new installation and is also used in my Logger32 in almost all windows.

I removed these 5 lines from the .ini file and everything worked fine.

I posted this just for this oddity. In all the other sections he was accepted while in this one he even closed my program.

Il 29/07/2021 15:30, Bob ha scritto:

Does the PC have a font called Bitstream Vera Sans Mono? SeventyThree(s).

On 07/29/2021 7:11 AM IZ5ILJ Lenio <iz5ilj@...> wrote:

Ciao to all, my pc must be crazy, I found the problem but I didn't understand the reason for my block and these are 5 lines in the [Globals] section, i deleted these 5 lines in the old Logger32.ini, replaced it in the new install and everything works perfectly.

Il 29/07/2021 11:42, IZ5ILJ Lenio ha scritto:

Ciao Gary, I have just seen the new chapter for new installations I will try to follow it step by step hoping to solve my problem. many thanks for your work

Il 29/07/2021 03:22, Gary Hinson ha scritto:

Bob is just putting the finishing touches to the next Logger32 auto-update for version 4.0.290

Notable improvements coming in .290 include:

·         A cool new function to re-size and neatly align all the open BandMaps, painlessly

·         User-customized ADIFbands.TXT and ADIFmodes.TXT files are no longer callously overwritten by Logger32 updates – including this one, hopefully!

The updated .290 User Manual is online already, while Bob polishes and publishes the auto-update.

I’ve also taken the hint and explained how to move an existing Logger32 installation to a new system, new hardware etc.  As with the rest of the manual, it may not be perfect or sufficient, hence your feedback, complaints, corrections and improvement suggestions are very welcome – either here on the reflector for all to see or more discreetly to Gary@....  Say something apt, valuable, sharp or amusing and you might just find yourself quoted in green ink in a future edition!

Gary  ZL2iFB

Join hamlogger@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.