Re: Import non ADIF-Log to new V4, help needed

Gary Hinson

Well done Bernd: 'v4 working and no QSOs missing' is what we like to hear!

Gary ZL2iFB

-----Original Message-----
From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bernd DL9YAJ
Sent: 29 March 2021 02:37
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Import non ADIF-Log to new V4, help needed

Hi Gary,

thank you for answer. Read in the manual to register manually the x.ocx file, but no way! Several other files ask also for registration. As solution, i installed the V 3.5 on my PC and copied the zipped lookbook files from my backup into the c:\logger folder. After that "new"
installation all works well and i am able to export the log into ADIF.
After that i deinstalled the V3.5 and installed again the new V4.x and import the ADIF file. All works well at the moment and no qso is missing. The rest now is cosmetics!

Thank you very much for help.

Best 73s Bernd, DL9YAJ

Am 27.03.2021 um 05:05 schrieb Gary Hinson:
Hi Bernd.

That message means the v4 installation did not correctly register the file. You can register it manually: there is an FAQ about a soundcard issue involving manually registering a file that was not properly registered, in the User Manual section 2.10 (which I may need to update). https://www.logger32.net/files/Logger32_v4_User_Manual.pdf

Gary ZL2iFB

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bernd
DL9YAJ
Sent: 26 March 2021 01:12
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Import non ADIF-Log to new V4, help needed

Hi Gary,

yesterday i have time work for my problem.

I started my old V3.50.397 but not from the installed drive c:\logger32 , because i have installed the new V4 on the c: \logger32 path.
So i start the logger32.exe from my backup d: drive. All is working ok but when i want to export log to ADIF i get a error message, see the attachment.

Any idea?
or is the only way to install the old version to the normal install
path
c:\logger32

73s Bernd, DL9YAJ

Am 22.03.2021 um 00:36 schrieb Gary Hinson:
Hi Bernd.

First, be very careful with that USB stick! I recommend COPYING the files onto your new hard drive, then removing the USB stick to a safe place. Work with the on-disk copies, so if something goes very wrong, at least you haven't lost the log on USB.

The v3 to v4 migration process makes a one-time change to the v3 database structure, bringing it up to v4, and then updates are applied (ideally automatically). So, I think you should be able to restore the v3 files, then run the v4 migration.

If that doesn't work out, then yes you may need to restore a working v3 installation first, export your log as an ADIF, then install a fresh v4 installation and import the ADIF log.

Personally, I would take the latter option anyway, generating an ADIF file from a v3 installation AND saving a safety copy of that ADIF.

ADIF log backups give us more options for recovering our logs if, for some reason, either the ADIF file or Logge32 has problems. Being plain text, for one thing, ADIF files can be edited manually in a simple editor such as Notepad. ADIF-compliant programs such as ADIF Master and TQSL provide various integrity checks and functions. The size of the ADIF directly relates to the size of the log, so if the ADIF generation is truncated prematurely for some reason, it will output a smaller file than the previous ADIF output - a big clue that something went wrong!

73 GL
Gary ZL2iFB

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bernd
DL9YAJ
Sent: 22 March 2021 04:13
Subject: [hamlogger] Import non ADIF-Log to new V4, help needed

Hi,

after a SSD crash i want to start with a new V4 full install.

The last version on my old defect HD was 3.50.391 ! I found an Fullbackup on a USB-Stick made at that version. The backup has many files amongst them several LogbookBackup_FULL_001.ZIP up to LogbookBackup_FULL_006.ZIP. Unfortunately i have NO ADIF from my log!

Now i read in the new V4 help file how to migrate old logs to the new V4, but only in ADIF!

Is it neccesary to install first the old 3.5.391 version to export the log to ADIF or is there a way to import the log from my old backup?

Best 73s

Bernd, DL9YAJ

Join hamlogger@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.