From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Hinson
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 2:31 PM
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Alert sounds

Annoying but not uncommon, Jim.

I suspect Windows may have oh-so-helpfully decided that the sound system feeding your radio (presumably an add-on/external card) should be your default sound system which gets the Windows chimes, bleeps and sirens, rather than the sound system built-in to the motherboard (which tends to be a lower-spec system).  I believe Windows checks for new devices at boot time which might explain the prevalence of complaints that ‘a Windows 10 update messed up my config’: perhaps it is the post-update reboot that caused it, not the update itself.

I’ve added a note about this to the User Manual for the next update.

Also, by the way, I discovered that the <Test> button on the audio alerts config in Logger32 only sounds the selected alert if that alert is enabled (ticked).  I’m not sure if that’s by design or by accident, but I imagine it could catch users out if they don’t realise.  Another note added.