Re: Logger32 will not read frequency

Julian GW4JBQ

Glad it’s working now Ken

73 de Julian

On 2 Apr 2020, at 15:35, "kenfilmer@..." <kenfilmer@...> wrote:

Just to say many thanks to all on this group who took the time to help me trying to get my laptop and radio to talk to each other, particularly getting the PC to read the radio frequency.

Stephen, Technofix UK sent me a cable which worked straight away,

In my naevity I thought any cable with the right plugs on each end would do. Nope!

Why that is I have no idea but many things in life remain a mystery to me.

Thanks again all, 73, stay safe.

Ken

G3XPO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 30 March 2020 20:51
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: RE: [hamlogger] Logger32 will not read frequency

It will be good if he can Pete!

If its not the cable I’m out of options.

I will let you know.

Ken

G3XPO

Sent: 30 March 2020 19:06
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Logger32 will not read frequency

Ken

I had forgotten about Ian at Technofix, I think he’ll sort you out..

Pete

G4RRM

On 30 Mar 2020, at 18:48, "kenfilmer@..." <kenfilmer@...> wrote:

Hi Stephen

I have ordered a cable from Technofix. That is a cable specifically for the MK5, W10 compatible and FTDI.

Now that can’t be wrong. Can it? If it is I will give up.

Many thanks for the advice Stephen.

Ken

G3XPO

Sent: 30 March 2020 14:36

Especially if it came with a driver disk or instructions to download drivers it's probably a fake or sold as 'FTDI compatible'!

To ensure that I get real devices I usually purchase FTDI based cables and devices from :

https://ftdi-uk.shop/

or

https://shop.technofix.uk/

I'm happy to pay a bit more for real FTDI devices because they are reliable, perform well and are supported on all the operating systems I use.

On 30/03/2020 10:52, G4RRM Pete wrote:

Hi Ken

I’m not PC savy enough to know why your FTDI says Prolific, or if that’s just a legacy setting from something else.

For info this is what I bought, afraid its gone up since 2015 when I purchased, but it worked ok ( did have to buy a Male female changer too)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZMYTYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GL

Pete

G4RRM

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of kenfilmer@...
Sent: 30 March 2020 09:03

Dave, Pete

I was just looking for FTDI chip cables ..... and the cable I bought and which I am using is the attached.

It is a FTDI chip cable, which raises the question why does the ports in device manager say Prolific?

Does this mean the cable I bought if NOT FTDI? This is it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COOSO-Serial-Female-Adapter-Chipset/dp/B075VR429G/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=ftdi+serial+to+usb+cable&qid=1585554956&sr=8-14

Ken

G3XPO

Sent: 29 March 2020 22:08

Prolific drivers are touchy and if your not computer/Prolific savvy you can tear your hair out getting them to work. That said once the right driver is loaded they should just keep working.

I use the FTDI cables and win10 finds them and loads the drivers.

I did have one instance where windows did an update on my laptop and I had to find the FTDI driver and load it ?

Stranger things have happened .

Dave N8DC

On March 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM G4RRM Pete <pete@...> wrote:

Hi Ken / John

Just a thought, I know two people that have had issues with Prolific USB to Serial adaptors ( I was setting them up).

Radios wouldn’t talk to PC, they swapped to FTDI chips and it worked first time.

I think they are known for issues and documented on the net.

Of course if it’s a not a new piece of kit and you have used it before just ignore my mail.

Hope you get sorted.

Pete

G4RRM

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of kenfilmer@...
Sent: 29 March 2020 20:33

Hi John

Thanks for the reply! Apologies for the late reply. Answers follow -

On the lower status bar is the word "Radio" in blue text?

Yes it is.

If you hover your mouse over it does it say "com3 open"?

Well, funny thing. Whereas yesterday the only port I had available was port 3, today I got the message INVALID SERIAL PORT COMM 3 on opening port 3 and on radio 1 settings I now have the choice of ports 3 or 4. Port 4 was not shown yesterday. I set port 4 in SET UP RADIO 1, no adverse messages but still no frequency but it does say when I hover the mouse over the radio - RADO 1 COMM 4 OPEN.

Right click on it and select "Show radio debug window"
You should (if all working correctly) see in the window Logger32 polling the radio and the replies coming back.

There is a green light by COMM 4, all other lights on RASIO 1 row are red. I can see what I assume is the radio polling and replies but I have no idea whether all those mean. They repeat these two lines –

USING #1 POLL 00 00 00 03 10

USING #1 SHORT POLL 00 00 00 01 FA.

. There is nothing shown adjacent to frequency or mode.

I have checked frequency in SET UP.

I have the correct baud, databits etc all set in accordance with the MK5 manual, all as your figures. I’ve tried using different values but as expected, no difference.

Yes, the cable driver has been installed correctly as far as I know.

Going to DEVICE MANAGER under ports it says PROLIFIC USB TO SERIAL COMM PORT 4. Which seems to show the cable is there and working.

I will try DTR and RTS. Neither of these are ticked now, which is the same as on my other (working correctly) radio.

I have reloaded L32 in case originally I had a duff download but that made no difference.

Right, i’m going to try the DTR and RTS, see if that makes a difference.

John, thanks again, I appreciate your taking the time to rerply.

Ken

Sent: 29 March 2020 17:33

Ken

On the lower status bar is the word "Radio" in blue text?
If you hover your mouse over it does it say "com3 open"?
Right click on it and select "Show radio debug window"
You should (if all working correctly) see in the window Logger32 polling the radio and the replies coming back.

If all looks OK try;
On the top menu bar in Logger32 click "Setup" then "Frequency" and make sure the top item on the menu is ticked.

If not;

I assume you are using the following settings in the Logger32 radio set up; baud 4800, 8 databits, 2 stopbits and parity to none.

If so, could be you might also need to change either the DTR or RTS settings.

I assume also you have correctly installed the drivers for your USB - serial cable?

You can check in Windows / Control Panel / Device Manager, under Ports that you have COM3 showing up.

73, GL

John - G7SSE

------ Original Message ------

Sent: 29/03/2020 16:27:40

Subject: [hamlogger] Logger32 will not read frequency

Can any body help a computer skill challenged G3?

I've been trying to set up L32 on a back up Yaesu MK5. using a laptop with W10. I've tried 3 different laptops, all with the same result so its probably not the laptop at fault.

Nothing I do will make L32 read the radio's frequency.

I've got the correct settings for the radio set up, even tried changing them about but no difference. One thing I can't adjust is the serial port number. The laptop gives me the choice of port 3 .... or port 3. I get no messages of incorrect port number. I can't change the port number and unlike my other set up i don't get a choice of serial ports.

I am using a serial to USB cable between the radio CAT socket and laptop. I have tried different cables which presumably rules out an incorrect cable.

I have L32 working perfectly on my main radio and as far as i can see i'm doing everything the same on the MK5. 

Any ideas  anybody?

Ken G3XPO

--
73, John - G7SSE

-- 
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940
Mob: 07956 855816

Join hamlogger@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.