Re: Unable to open L32 and more

Gary Hinson

Hi Ken.

If you’d have asked for help earlier, we might have been able to avoid you having to reconfigure L32!  There should be backups of your L32 files, including the .INI configuration file, stashed somewhere on your computer.

Anyway …

First, just in case, take a backup copy of your ADIF log and save it somewhere safe, offline (e.g. on a USB stick or CD).  That way, if something goes horribly wrong, at least you won’t have lost your whole log.

Since importing your log lost 5,000 QSOs, that suggests a fault in the ADIF file.  Since it appears 28,000 QSOs loaded OK, the fault is likely to lie between the 28,000 and 5,000, so roughly 85% of the way through the ADIF.  I would open the ADIF with a plain text editor (such as Wordpad or TED), scroll down 85% of the way and look for any obvious/gross` issues such as junk in the file, corrupted lines, blanks or whatever.

If you find gross errors, correct them manually if you can and save the corrected ADIF file with a new name, otherwise save just the uncorrupted QSO records after that point to a new ADIF file, then import that into L32.

If you don’t find gross errors, you might try opening and checking through the ADIF file using ADIFmaster.  It understands the ADIF field names, showing your log as a table/spreadsheet.  It might tell you about errors as it opens the file (more clues for you to fix manually), or you can scroll down to see if it has the whole log (in which case, export the file to a new ADIF and, again, try importing that into L32).

I’m not sure what’s going on with the QSO numbering: I don’t pay much attention to QSO numbers, normally, but I know there is a function to “reformat” (i.e. renumber) QSO numbers for your whole log sequentially if it matters to you.  Try that.  Look under Tools: