Re: Logger32 RadioInfo UDP Broadcasts

Bob

Too late for auto-update 3.50.404, it was released this morning. The next version (in a few weeks) will have this format

'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
            '<app>Logger32</app>
            '<RadioInfo>
            '   <Freq>2120000</Freq> ' Note format is like 1420000
            '</RadioInfo>

and will broadcast the current frequency at least every 4 minutes - that way you can safely put your out-to-lunch timer at 5 minutes ... I'll add that tomorrow. SeventyThree(s).

SeventyThree(s).

On January 6, 2020 at 5:30 PM Terry Glagowski / W1TR / AFA1DI <W1TR@...> wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for creating a UDP broadcast in Logger32 so that other applications can piggyback off the Logger32 Rig Control…

The HFAUTO APP uses these UDP broadcasts to preset the ATU L/C Element Tuning Solution to track the TX VFO so that an AutoTune cycle is unnecessary.

There are now 3 applications that I know of which broadcast a <RadioInfo> UDP Packet in XML Document Format, each one a little different.

N1MM has the most comprehensive set of radio properties, including both a <Freq> and <TXFreq> element and <RadioNr>, <FocusRadioNr>,<ActiveRadioNr> elements, plus a few more.

DXLAB has these as well, but not a <FocusRadioNr>,<ActiveRadioNr>

If an APP works with multiple transceivers, it is important to indicate which one should be used as a TX VFO source to set the L/C Tuning Solution.

It cannot be jumping around from radio to radio since the HF-AUTO has continuously tunable L/C components, not relay switched ones.

The HFAUTO app can receive any number of UDP packets in XML Document format on any number of UDP ports for IPAddr=0.0.0.0.

It’s a good thing that all the APPs don’t send the exact same <RadioInfo> UDP packet because I could not then tell which APP is the source.

My preference would be that each application use a different XML Document Name…

The FLDIGI_UDP helper program uses XML Document  <FLDIGI>

OR… if there were an element in the <RadioInfo> packet that identified the APP, such as <APP>Logger32</APP>

Another thing that can be an issue is that Logger32 only broadcasts the <RadioInfo> UDP Packet when there is a change in frequency.

The HFAUTO APP uses a timeout to determine when CAT control has been lost due to a terminated application… this is adjustable in HFAUTO and can be shut off (CAT TMO=0)

It would be really great to have a UDP packet every few seconds (5, 10, 20 seconds) even if there is no change, to confirm that CAT control is still active.

N1MM does this, also DXLAB…  currently FLDIGI_UDP (my APP) does so every 200 ms whether there is a change or not, but maybe this is wasteful of bandwidth.

I’m not sure how Logger32 handles SPLIT operation, but the other APPs have both a <Freq> and <TXFreq> element in the UDP, the HFAUTO needs the <TXFreq>…

If one is not received, HFAUTO assumes <TXFreq> = <Freq> and transceiver mode without split is being used.

The HFAUTO APP does not make use of MODE information, but N1MM, DXLAB, and FLDIGI all have a <Mode> element.

Other APPs might need this information.

Kudos on using a decimal point to get the Hz digit… I always wondered why N1MM didn’t use a number in Hz instead of 10 Hz count!

Earlier radios did not use 1 Hz resolution, but good systems engineering would have predicted that they would someday!

73, and I appreciate your help!

Terry G. Glagowski, Ph.D. / W1TR

TGG Systems .
25 Hnath Road, Ashford, CT 06278 .
(860) 429-9444 (Home) .
(860) 617-1969 (Cell) .

(EMail) TGGsystems@ GMail.com .
(Web)  http://www.glagowski.org/TGG_Systems

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2020 06:23
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Logger32 RadioInfo UDP Broadcasts

... and I don't have a radio with CAT control, but I simulated a VFO frequency change to 14001.234 kHz. This is broadcast:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RadioInfo>
<Freq>1400123.4</Freq>
</RadioInfo>

Simulated a frequency change to 14123 kHz. This is broadcast:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RadioInfo>
<Freq>1412300</Freq>
</RadioInfo>

SeventyThree(s)/

On January 5, 2020 at 5:48 AM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

... to setup/enable UDP Broadcast of frequency in Logger32, click SETUP | FREQUENCY and check the UDP Broadcast option. Period. That's it. No port setup, no nothing, just turn it on. SeventyThree(s).

On January 4, 2020 at 9:34 PM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

There's a section UDP Broadcast of DX Spots in the Logger32 Help file. SeventyThree(s).

On January 4, 2020 at 9:18 PM Terry Glagowski / W1TR / AFA1DI <W1TR@...> wrote:

Does anyone have info about UDP broadcasts from Logger32 to other APPs?

Just a topic name or location in the documentation would help.

Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR
HAM: W1TR / USAF MARS: AFA1DI / GRID: FN31vw / ELEV: 950 MSL / 41.924750 N, 72.190320 W.

25 Hnath Road, Ashford, CT 06278 .
(860) 429-9444 (Landline) .
(860) 617-1969 (Cell) .

(EMail) W1TR@... .
(Web)  http://www.Glagowski.org/Radio .

Join hamlogger@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.