"Geostationary" is not truly achievable and no matter how exact orbital insertion is performed there are always forces acting on the satellite to effect its location in earth orbit such as solar wind and gravitational effects of other large bodies. So called geostationary satellites are positioned within a station keepin box and are maintained within it by use of small thrusters on the satellite. This was clearly evident on the tracking chart recorder tracing the signal level of one of the satellite tracking beacons at the 11m dish earth station I maintained. The antenna performed an automatic tracking routine every two hours. The dish had a beam width of approx 0.5 degrees on TX (6GHz) and slightly more on RX (4GHz).

QO-100 is simply a piggy back transponder on a commercial satellite and there wasn't any option over its longitudinal position.

Mike VP8NO

On 23/09/2019 23:08, Gary Hinson wrote:

I’m not familiar with that sat. Is it one of those curiosities that requires 5 Ghz upload, polarised clockwise, reverse Polish notation etc.?
12m is as high as I get these days. 10 is dead as doo-doo and 6 makes me nauseous.
73
Gary
Decidedly Earth-bound.
From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: 24 September 2019 13:01
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] School me please ...
Gary, but wait ... on 104897735.13 I hear ein tswi dri aghhhhhh. Makes the whole project worthwhile. SeventyThree(s).
On September 23, 2019 at 8:53 PM Bob <k4cy@... <mailto:k4cy@...> > wrote:
Gary, and for the last two glasses of Famous Grouse (three ice cubes in each) not a single peep, beep, or ping (As in - Give me a ping Vasily. One ping only please) ... Low solar activity, one way skip, or just flogging a dead horse? SeventyThree(s).
On September 23, 2019 at 8:35 PM Gary Hinson <Gary@... <mailto:Gary@...> > wrote:
I wonder if the real reason for parking it right there has to do with the pileup of geo sats? Don’t they all have to share a finite chunk of space to be geostationary? The amateur movement would be less than popular if its sats wrecked any of the extremely expensive and very hush-hush commercial/mil sats up there, watching our every move.
Also, it was presumably dropped off from a passing commercial load, like desperate Eastern Europeans leaping off the artic’s arriving at any of the UK ports. So we’re lucky it didn’t go to the middle of the Pacific. Or even the bottom of it.
73
Gary ZL2iFB