Amsat QO-100.

Michael Harris

For clarification this is taken directly from Wikipedia:

<quote>
Es'hail 2 is a Qatari satellite, launched aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket on November 15, 2018.[4][5] Es'hail 2 was built by Japan's Mitsubishi Electric company, and will operate at 26° East longitude along a geostationary orbit to provide direct-to-home television services in the Middle East and North Africa region.[6] The satellite will feature 24 Ku-band and 11 Ka-band transponders to provide direct broadcasting services for television, government and commercial content distribution[7]. In addition to commercial services, the payload of Es'hail 2 includes a linear transponder with a bandwidth of 250 kHz and 8MHz for the amateur radio satellite service, with uplink on 2.4 GHz (S band) and downlink on 10.45 GHz (X band).
<unquote>

"Geostationary" is not truly achievable and no matter how exact orbital insertion is performed there are always forces acting on the satellite to effect its location in earth orbit such as solar wind and gravitational effects of other large bodies. So called geostationary satellites are positioned within a station keepin box and are maintained within it by use of small thrusters on the satellite. This was clearly evident on the tracking chart recorder tracing the signal level of one of the satellite tracking beacons at the 11m dish earth station I maintained. The antenna performed an automatic tracking routine every two hours. The dish had a beam width of approx 0.5 degrees on TX (6GHz) and slightly more on RX (4GHz).

QO-100 is simply a piggy back transponder on a commercial satellite and there wasn't any option over its longitudinal position.

Mike VP8NO

On 23/09/2019 23:08, Gary Hinson wrote:

I’m not familiar with that sat. Is it one of those curiosities that requires 5 Ghz upload, polarised clockwise, reverse Polish notation etc.?
12m is as high as I get these days. 10 is dead as doo-doo and 6 makes me nauseous.
Gary
Decidedly Earth-bound.
From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: 24 September 2019 13:01
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] School me please ...
Gary, but wait ... on 104897735.13 I hear ein tswi dri aghhhhhh. Makes the whole project worthwhile. SeventyThree(s).
On September 23, 2019 at 8:53 PM Bob <k4cy@... <mailto:k4cy@...> > wrote:
Gary, and for the last two glasses of Famous Grouse (three ice cubes in each) not a single peep, beep, or ping (As in - Give me a ping Vasily. One ping only please) ... Low solar activity, one way skip, or just flogging a dead horse? SeventyThree(s).
On September 23, 2019 at 8:35 PM Gary Hinson <Gary@... <mailto:Gary@...> > wrote:
I wonder if the real reason for parking it right there has to do with the pileup of geo sats? Don’t they all have to share a finite chunk of space to be geostationary? The amateur movement would be less than popular if its sats wrecked any of the extremely expensive and very hush-hush commercial/mil sats up there, watching our every move.
Also, it was presumably dropped off from a passing commercial load, like desperate Eastern Europeans leaping off the artic’s arriving at any of the UK ports. So we’re lucky it didn’t go to the middle of the Pacific. Or even the bottom of it.
Gary ZL2iFB
From: hamlogger@groups.io <mailto:hamlogger@groups.io> <hamlogger@groups.io <mailto:hamlogger@groups.io> > On Behalf Of Vilhjalmur Sigurjonsson
Sent: 24 September 2019 12:18
To: hamlogger@groups.io <mailto:hamlogger@groups.io>
I understand and share this opinion, at the moment there are 2 OM QRV here, hi.
73 Villi
From: hamlogger@groups.io <mailto:hamlogger@groups.io> [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: þriðjudagur, 24. september 2019 00:12
TF3VS
Villi, no disrespect to the Icelanders, but IMHO shifting the footprint to the East could/would have opened the footprint to thousands of additional users. The one thing that is sadly lacking today is users. If we ever have Russia vs USA chess championships again, or Trump needs to meet Putin, we can come to Iceland :) SeventyThree(s).
On September 23, 2019 at 8:02 PM Vilhjalmur Sigurjonsson <vilhj@... <mailto:vilhj@...> > wrote:
I dunno, but I suppose it is to include TF land, we can barely use it, I‘m told.
73 Villi
TF3VS
From: hamlogger@groups.io <mailto:hamlogger@groups.io> [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: mánudagur, 23. september 2019 23:57
... and, for part two of my QO-100 education. can someone explain to me how/why the geostationary latitude of 26° East was chosen. 15, 20, or 25° more to the East would have moved the footprint over much of Asia,and half of Australia, and lost little/no Europe. SeventyThree(s).
On September 23, 2019 at 7:07 PM Bob <k4cy@... <mailto:k4cy@...> > wrote:
I have been listening to the QO-100 satellite by way of eshail.batc.org.uk/nb most of today. Such awesome potential, but my initial reaction is 'what a waste of technology'. 99% of the SSB stations I have heard (and I've never seen more than six SSB stations on at a time) are old fart Germans simply wasting oxygen. A couple of Brazilian stations lucky enough to be in the footprint have been CQing (in English) on and off all day with not a single taker. Generally, the SSB audio quality leaves a great deal to be desired, but that may just be the webSDR/internet. CW? Three stations today. One German being the target of malicious QRM, one Italian calling Asia with no takers, and a QSO between Denmark and the UK. Is this it? Does it get any better? Have we finally hit rock bottom? SeventyThree(s).

Join hamlogger@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.