Topics

Insert A New Assignment Between Previous Assignments

Mr. Werth

Dear Gradekeeper Community:

Good evening!  How is everyone doing in this new world of Distance Learning?

I'm writing to ask if anyone knows how to insert a new assignment between previous assignments in the Web version?  In the Desktop version, I use to just drag and drop a new assignment from the right-most column into the older assignments wherever I wanted it to be.  But I can't seem to figure out how to do this in the Web version.

Please let me know!  Thank you all so much.

Sincerely,

Michael Werth

Daniel Ethier

You can add the assignment in the first open column. Then click the sort icon (the A-Z with the arrow), and choose to sort by name, date, or category.

Daniel Ethier

Patricia Samuelsen

Daniel,

when you begin thinking about added features, I would love to see the ability to insert an assignment, because sorting on name, date, or category  isn’t always enough.  I’ve had to add clumsy “sorting codes” to the beginning of each assignment title.  It’s a mess.

Pat

On Mar 31, 2020, at 2:25 AM, Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:

You can add the assignment in the first open column. Then click the sort icon (the A-Z with the arrow), and choose to sort by name, date, or category.

Daniel Ethier

Daniel Ethier

How are you organizing your assignments? What additional sorting option would you need? It would be difficult to add this without making the user interface much more complex for everyone. Even the desktop app couldn't really do this (it did allow drag and drop, but that's not really possible in the web app).

Patricia Samuelsen

Since my classes only meet once or twice per week, I have a lot of assignments for each date.  I need them to appear in a logical order, which is not alphabetical.

I would be happy if there were a “Sort” field so that I could number them however I wanted without the number appearing in the assignment title, which is what I have now.  Then I could sort by Date and Sort Field.

On Mar 31, 2020, at 8:42 AM, Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:

How are you organizing your assignments? What additional sorting option would you need? It would be difficult to add this without making the user interface much more complex for everyone. Even the desktop app couldn't really do this (it did allow drag and drop, but that's not really possible in the web app).

Daniel Ethier

Adding a sort field would require saving something else with the file, changing the file format. I would like to avoid changing the file format, since that requires everyone to update. How do you decide which order to put the assignments? Is there a pattern? Do you create them in the order you want them? Perhaps the date of the assignment could be include a little more detail than the date (while the user would still only see the date)?

Patricia Samuelsen

Like 3-31-20-1 and 3-31-20-2?  That would work fine.  But I can’t do that now, right?

On Mar 31, 2020, at 8:55 AM, Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:

Adding a sort field would require saving something else with the file, changing the file format. I would like to avoid changing the file format, since that requires everyone to update. How do you decide which order to put the assignments? Is there a pattern? Do you create them in the order you want them? Perhaps the date of the assignment could be include a little more detail than the date (while the user would still only see the date)?

Daniel Ethier

Not exactly. Dates in most programs are saved as a number of seconds from January 1, 1970. Don't ask why. Gradekeeper sets the time part of that to noon. If I stopped doing that and just used the full time, then a sort by date would sort assignments on the same date in the order they were created. Maybe. I would need to check on some things. But I could look into it.

Patricia Samuelsen

Creation order wouldn’t help me, though.

On Mar 31, 2020, at 9:07 AM, Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:

Not exactly. Dates in most programs are saved as a number of seconds from January 1, 1970. Don't ask why. Gradekeeper sets the time part of that to noon. If I stopped doing that and just used the full time, then a sort by date would sort assignments on the same date in the order they were created. Maybe. I would need to check on some things. But I could look into it.

Gary Friedmann

Hello everyone!

Reading through this thread, I thought that maybe another readers perspective might help?  I have not been too keen on assignment dates to begin with (primarily because I do not really use this feature and set my start date to 01/01/2020 and an end date of 01/02/2020, forcing Gradekeeper to use the date of 01/01/2020 for all assignments!) I have frequently suggested having assignment dates as an option to include or not at the users selection.

In regards to a solution for inserting and moving assignments, back in the day when I used Making the Grade, you could add a new assignment, then reposition the assignment based on it's position number.

For example, you add assignment #27 in your gradebook and want that assignment to be placed in position #25.  You would open the REPOSITION option from the FILE menu, enter the number of the assignment you wish to move to a different location (#27) while the program would also confirm the choice by displaying its full title.  Then, you would enter the new position you wish the assignment to occupy (#25) earlier or later in the gradebook, while the program made sure this latter number is not greater than the number of assignments currently recorded.

This might be something to consider as a possible solution.  Hope this helps!

Gary F.