Topics

Importing students or assignments

Daniel Ethier

As mentioned in my post about the new version of the web app, you can now import an assignment from a text or csv file. When you open a text or csv file, Gradekeeper will determine whether you are importing students or an assignment. The import will always go into the currently open class, so if you want to create a new class and import your roster, be sure to create the new class first by clicking the + button on the top left.

When importing students, each line in the text or csv file should have one student. The student id should be first, followed by the student name. The name can be one item, either first name last name or last name, first name (the comma is very important!), or the name can be two separate items, the first name, then the last name. So, for a text file, importing Amy Albright, could look like any of the following:

1234 <tab> Amy Albright
1234 <tab> Albright, Amy
1234 <tab> Amy <tab> Albright

Amy Albright
Albright, Amy
Amy <tab> Albright

Additionally, you can add an email address after each student name. Gradekeeper will figure out which format you are using to import the student.

When you are importing assignments, the first 1-3 lines must be the assignment information. You must have the assignment name. You can optionally include the category name and the points possible after that. The category must be a category that is already set up in the class. If the category is missing, the first category will be used. If the points possible is missing, 100 points will be used.

Each following line should be a student followed by their score on that assignment. The student names can be any of the formats used when importing students, as described above. The student name in the import file will be matched with a student in the gradebook, and that student will be given the imported score. The student id, if included, must exactly match. The student name, if included, must match a student in the gradebook. While Gradekeeper can often figure out student names if the imported name is last name, first name, and the student name in the gradebook is first name last name, it is best if the student names match exactly. Even an extra space can throw things off.

Each line of assignment information must be preceded by empty items matching up with the student names you will be importing scores for later in the file. So, for example, you could have the following import file:

     <tab><tab> Chapter 7 Homework
     <tab><tab> Tests
     <tab><tab> 100
     3456 <tab> Amy Albright <tab> 94
     2179 <tab> Barbara Bravado <tab> 78
     7911 <tab> Cathy Cunningham <tab> 97

The tabs before the assignment name, category, and points possible are what allows Gradekeeper to determine that you are importing an assignment and not additional students. So make sure you have them! Unlike the desktop app, you cannot import just a list of scores. The student names must be there to insure that each score is given to the correct student. This way, the scores do not need to be in the same order as the students in your gradebook.

Daniel Ethier

Mr. Werth

Hello Daniel!

Thank you so much for all of your hard work and development on this.  I used to be a pro on exporting assignments and grades from Excel to CSV files and then into GK.  But I'm totally baffled with using tab delimited.  Can you please email a sample tab-delimited import file to me?  I just intend to match on student names in the first column of my tab-delimited text file.  I will have the title, category, and points possible followed by all of the scores in the 2nd column of the tab-delimited text file.  I'm perplexed why the assignment title, category, and points possible will pop into GK Web 2.0, but the scores for each student will just not match up.  I exported my students' names from GK Web 2.0 and I'm using exactly what was exported to be the names for the import.  Maybe I need extra empty columns in the tab-delimited file?  I can't crack this!  Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Michael Werth

Daniel Ethier

You can still import csv files into the web app, so use that if that's what you're familiar with. But unlike the desktop app, you can only import one assignment and its scores at a time. The tricky part is you do need the blank fields that would line up with whatever student information you are importing. For example, if you are importing student names and scores, but not IDs, you need one empty field before the assignment name, category, points possible. If you are also importing the IDs, then you need two blank items.

The example included in the message you are replying to is the example for tab delimited text for importing student ID, student name, and one assignment. One way to check it is to open it with Excel. If the assignment name, category, and points do not line up with the scores, then you don't have enough tabs before the assignment info.

If that is not importing correctly, please send me the file and I'll be able to tell you what's wrong with it.

Daniel Ethier

Mr. Werth

Edited

Thank you, Daniel:

I appreciate what you said on using CSV files, but that might not work in the Web App because I have lastname, firstname in my student names and importing scores might interpret extra fields in the name.  ATTACHED to this email is my sample Tab Delimited file (not sure if it will go to group).  Can I import scores utilizing student IDs only, or you have to always have the student names?

Thank you so much and Happy Easter!  Why are you working!?  Let me guess; you're a teacher?  You're the best ever.

Sincerely,

Michael Werth

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 10:10 AM Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:
[...]

There may be two problems.

Your import file has student names quoted. But you are using tab delimited format. Quotes are part of csv (when the item being imported includes a comma). They should never be used with tab delimited text, unless the quote really is part of the item.  If you already have your students in the class and use this import file, none of the student names will match.

Also, the web app will only import scores for students who are already in the class. So you need to have the students in the class first. Then you can import an assignment and match up scores to students. Looking at the wording in my original post, I think that may have been ambiguous. The web app will use the assignment info to tell whether you are importing students or scores. But if you are importing scores, all the students must already be in the gradebook.

I did notice that if the imported assignment would be the first assignment, that it winds up in the second column. I think I know why that is, so I should be able to fix that. For now, you can just sort assignments by name, which should move the assignment into the first column.

And by the way, you can in fact import students with separate first and last names into Gradekeeper, and import scores as well. That is why only one assignment at a time is imported. That limitation allows Gradekeeper to tell what the student name is. There are some other limitations with that. Check the user's guide for details.

Daniel Ethier

Daniel Ethier

I have updated the web app to version 2.0.1

This fixes the issue with the first imported assignment going into column 2. There was another issue, which was that if you imported multiple assignments, one after the other, they would go on top of each other! That was also fixed.

Daniel Ethier

Mr. Werth

Thank you, Daniel!

That's awesome! Thank you so much for your help and your work.  I really appreciate you.  Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Michael Werth