Topics

Email Reports


Patricia Samuelsen
 

Daniel,

Is there anything we can do to keep Gradekeeper signed into Google? Every time I send reports, I have to sign into Google again. Then I receive two emails from Google telling me I signed in. It’s a bit of a pain.

I’m also curious as to why I only see the green progress bar about 10% of the times I email reports.

Thanks.

Pat


Daniel Ethier
 

You should whitelist the Gradekeeper web app in any tracking blocker you're using, and also make sure your settings do not prevent the web app from saving information across sessions. When you authenticate to Google, it saves a cookie with a token. Gradekeeper also saves a token that is used to allow it to send emails using your Gmail account. If a tracking blocker or a setting deletes those, then you are no longer signed in.

The progress bar is only shown when sending emails for an entire class. It takes about one second per email to send those email reports (the web app is throttling itself to avoid exceeding the allowed rate by Google or other email services). The progress bar is just an indicator that enough time has passed that everything should have been sent. If you are sending one email, no progress bar is needed because it is sent immediately.

Daniel Ethier


Patricia Samuelsen
 



On Apr 15, 2020, at 6:20 AM, Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:

You should whitelist the Gradekeeper web app in any tracking blocker you're using, and also make sure your settings do not prevent the web app from saving information across sessions. When you authenticate to Google, it saves a cookie with a token. Gradekeeper also saves a token that is used to allow it to send emails using your Gmail account. If a tracking blocker or a setting deletes those, then you are no longer signed in.

I’m not really sure how to go about this.  I’ve looked at the Ad Blocker extension I use in Safari.  There is a way to temporarily turn it off, but there isn’t a white list per se.  I checked my Safari preferences, and I do not block cookies.  I do have “Prevent Cross Site Tracking” turned on.  Would that prevent GK from leaving a cookie?

Do you have any ideas what else I should look at?  

The progress bar is only shown when sending emails for an entire class. It takes about one second per email to send those email reports (the web app is throttling itself to avoid exceeding the allowed rate by Google or other email services). The progress bar is just an indicator that enough time has passed that everything should have been sent. If you are sending one email, no progress bar is needed because it is sent immediately.

I pretty much only send emails to the entire class; only rarely to an individual student.  The vast majority of times I email an entire class, I do not see the progress bar.  Once in a while, it appears.  I’ve looked for some pattern of when it appears, but I don’t see any rhyme or reason.  The reports do go out, so it’s not a big deal.  It just leaves me wondering each time, and I usually go and check just to be sure.   Just thought I’d let you know.  It’s been this way ever since you added the progress bar.

Daniel Ethier


Daniel Ethier
 

Which web browser are you using? Might be something browser related that I can check out.


Patricia Samuelsen
 

Safari

On Apr 21, 2020, at 4:51 PM, Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:

Which web browser are you using? Might be something browser related that I can check out.


Daniel Ethier
 

Safari has been having troubles with Google Authentication. Your best bet is to uncheck the option in preferences under security to prevent cross site tracking. That works for me.


Patricia Samuelsen
 

That seems to have done it!  Thanks.

On Apr 30, 2020, at 7:11 AM, Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:

Safari has been having troubles with Google Authentication. Your best bet is to uncheck the option in preferences under security to prevent cross site tracking. That works for me.