Topics

64-bit version desktop app?

robmchs@...

Hi, Daniel,

I do t know if this has been addressed before, but do you have any plans to upgrade GK to 64-bit functionality? I greatly prefer the ability to work offline over the web app. Thanks and be well,

Robert

Daniel Ethier

Gradekeeper is a 32 bit app. Catalina only runs 64 bit apps. Contrary to what Apple says, it would take much more than an “update” to do a 64 bit version of Gradekeeper. It would require a complete top to bottom rewrite, which would take years. So there will not be a 64 bit version of Gradekeeper.

Instead, there is now a web app at https://www.gradekeeper.com/app/ which has been available for more than a year. It saves your classes in your Dropbox, which is much more secure than saving on your computer or on a flash drive (those are very unreliable). Dropbox is free for 2 GB. The web app uses the same name and code as the desktop apps, so you do not need to pay again. You can open your existing classes from your computer by clicking the upload button (the cloud with the up arrow) and they will be saved to your Dropbox when you save.

The web app is the future of Gradekeeper.

Daniel Ethier

Martha Payne

Hi Daniel,
I too much prefer the Desktop app, and will continue to use it as long as I can.  I do use the web app on occasion, but the Desktop version seems more flexible.  For one, I don't have to look at the spreadsheet format when entering grades; I prefer entering grades into a window that is just for one assignment w/ all the students names listed.  Can I do that in the web app?

Thanks
Martha Payne

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:14 AM Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:
[...]

You can't do that with the desktop version. Only the phone apps.

Martha Payne

So, in the web app of an iPad?
Martha

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 1:54 PM Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:
You can't do that with the desktop version. Only the phone apps.

Daniel Ethier

No. There is an iPad app you can get from the Apple App Store. Also a separate iPhone app and an Android app you can get from the Google Play Store. Actual apps, not web apps.

Martha Payne

Oh, thank you.  I have the regular desktop app on my iPad.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 3:39 PM Daniel Ethier <dethier@...> wrote:
No. There is an iPad app you can get from the Apple App Store. Also a separate iPhone app and an Android app you can get from the Google Play Store. Actual apps, not web apps.

Daniel Ethier

The regular desktop app does not run on an iPad. Only on Mac or Windows. You have the iPad app. Different beast.