GB2355: Sunday 12 June: Mythical Song: Myth, Word and Melody at the Hellenic Centre

Gordon

Message 2355:

SUNDAY 12 JUNE (evening): "MYTHICAL SONG: MYTH, WORD AND MELODY" at the HELLENIC CENTRE (free event, but booking through Eventbrite required)

(Optional) Meeting, Transport and Venue Details:  Meet Gordon on Sunday 12 June, between 6.50pm and 7pm, at Baker Street tube station (Zone 1). Please note that there are two ticket offices at Baker Street station, and that we shall meet near the Jubilee and Bakerloo Lines ticket office, and NOT the ticket office for the Hammersmith and City, Metropolitan and Circle Lines. There will be no service on the Hammersmith and City Line this weekend. We shall go to the Hellenic (Greek) Centre, 16-18 Paddington Street, W1U 5AS. For a map showing the location of the centre, and details of local buses, please click on http://www.helleniccentre.org/pages/contact.php . The last time our group attended an event at this venue was 10 years ago.

The Concert:  The performance will start at 7.30pm and is likely to last around 90 minutes. It would be a good idea to arrive by about 7.15pm so that we can try to get seats together. Inspired by the myths and legends of Cyprus, Greece and Europe, this concert is a mythological, lyrical voyage into the world of art song. Characters like Adonis and Aphrodite come to life through the songs of contemporary Cypriot composer Constantinos Stylianou, while the songs of Yianni Constantinidi blend the characteristics of Greek folk song with classical art song. For more details of this concert, and of the performers, go to https://tinyurl.com/uyx23pjx .

Cyprus High Commission:  This event is organised by the Cultural Section of the Cyprus High Commission. You can see other events organised by them at https://www.culturalchc.co.uk . To get an idea about other events held at the Hellenic Centre, go to http://helleniccentre.org/events-culture .

Booking:  Go to https://tinyurl.com/uyx23pjx , click on Register, select the number of tickets you want (either 1 or 2), click on Register again, complete the required information on the Checkout page and then click on Register for the final time to complete your booking. You should receive an e-mail confirmation by return. There is no need to print tickets as your names will be on the guest list. I suggest you book as soon as possible, while places remain.

Entry Arrangements:  The concert will be in the Great Hall in the basement. If you have not booked and the event is full, you may be asked to remain in the bar (on the ground floor) until the last moment, or you may be asked to sit in the gallery (balcony) area. The entrance to the gallery is on the ground floor.

Afterwards:  I suggest that those who wish to go for a drink after the concert go with me to the Metropolitan Bar (a Wetherspoons pub), next to Baker Street tube station. This pub also serves food at reasonable prices.

SUMMARY OF FUTURE EVENTS

Wed 18 May: concert given by the English Chamber Orchestra concert at Cadogan Hall, starting at 7.30pm (£37 tickets at the special price of £10, but online booking required using promotional code MAYGB10 - click on https://groups.io/g/gordonbeal/message/2352 for details);

Sat 21 May, 11.50am/12 noon: Archway tube to go to the Islington Chinese Association, 21 Hatchard Road, N19 4NG, for a Chinese lunch starting at 12.30pm, with options for table tennis and karaoke (please book lunch by 16 May - £10 if paid by 16 May, or £12 on the day - click on https://groups.io/g/gordonbeal/message/2353 for details  - NB event is limited to 60 places, and 48 have gone already, so you'll need to book quickly to be sure of 1 of the 12 places remaining);

Sat 4 June: concert at The Actors' Church, Covent Garden, starting at 7.30pm (50 complimentary tickets, but booking with Andrew Campling required by 10pm on Thurs 2 June - click on https://groups.io/g/gordonbeal/message/2354 for details);

Sun 12 June: concert at the Hellenic Centre (details above).