Philosophy Discussion Group March meeting - normally meeting at the Goethe Institut

Bruce Kaplan

Greetings philosophers!

  Much thanks to all who came out to discuss Robert O. Paxton's "Anatomy of Fascism" nearly 2 weeks back.

Our next meeting will be on March 30.

I wanted to tackle Terry Eagleton's "Why Marx was Right", but I fear that 3 weeks may not be enough time.

I propose that this month, we read the very short (and unfinished) work by the anarchist thinker Bakunin entitled "God and the State".
Interestingly, there's not only a critique of religion and government but also of the scientific establishment. We've all no doubt seen how these have become intertwined during the pandemic (and before).

Please let me know you're OK with doing this reading for the March meeting. We can set up Eagleton for April.
As always, I'm happy to hear suggestions of things to be read.

Best,
Bruce

Hom Sack

Hello Everyone,

These might interest you:

Mikhail Bakunin - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyiT5um8kWY&t=661s)

May 18, 2018

VideoScribe animation that introduces the work of Mikhail Bakunin in relationship to power, politics and International Relations. Scripted and read by Dr Nicholas Apoifis.

Noam Chomsky - Bakunin’s Predictions - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gS6g41m_NU)

Great Anarchists - Michael Bakunin By Ruth Kinna and Clifford Harper (https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/288357137.pdf)

Hom