Philosophy Discussion Group October meeting - normally meeting at the Goethe Institut

Bruce Kaplan

Dear Philosophers,

   Thanks for the enthusiasm for continuing onward!
   So let's go with meeting 2 weeks from this evening (Oct. 28) at 7pm.
  I'll send a zoom link once I set it up.

Since we only have 2 weeks, let's do a relatively short piece.

Seneca's "On the Shortness of Life". It's not a long document and readily available for free on the internet (both at Project Gutenberg and at archive.org).

Please let me know if you have any questions. Will be in touch with the Zoom details soon.

Best wishes for staying healthy, safe, and sane

Bruce

Steve Rothman

If you happen to have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac there’s a nicely formatted free version available:

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=1176319286

(It’s actually a Seneca collection, but Shortness of Life is the first part.)

-Steve

On Oct 14, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Bruce Kaplan via groups.io <blklan71@...> wrote:

Dear Philosophers,

   Thanks for the enthusiasm for continuing onward!
   So let's go with meeting 2 weeks from this evening (Oct. 28) at 7pm.
  I'll send a zoom link once I set it up.

Since we only have 2 weeks, let's do a relatively short piece.

Seneca's "On the Shortness of Life". It's not a long document and readily available for free on the internet (both at Project Gutenberg and at archive.org).

Please let me know if you have any questions. Will be in touch with the Zoom details soon.

Best wishes for staying healthy, safe, and sane

Bruce
_._,_._,

Steve Rothman

BTW, regarding this download, the translation is by someone named Damian Stevenson and is clearly a very modern translation (there are phrases that wouldn’t have been commonly used even 20 years ago). I don’t know Latin and I have no idea if it’s a “good” translation or not - but it is very easy to read anyway…

It’s certainly not a “classical” more or less word-for-word translation, that’s for sure. -Steve

On Oct 14, 2020, at 8:18 PM, Steve Rothman <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

De Brevitate Vitae is exquisite reading during a pandemic. Bravo for this selection!

Sylvia