Lathe reinforcements #lathe, #shaper, #Milling machine #milling

Jon Sumpter

Hi,
Finally getting to build my gingery machine shop. I have a question for you folks that have built Dave's lathe. What have you found in Dave's designs that need a little modification? Is there one place on the web that has an archive of "improvements"? Thanks for any assistance.
Jon Sumpter
Waldport, Oregon

John Dammeyer

Searching for ginger lathe improvements I found my list on this page
Have fun. 
John Dammeyer

http://www.myheap.com/electronics/10-my-heap-articles/my-heap-projects/gingery-lathe.html

Sent from my Samsung S10

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2021-12-31 2:20 p.m. (GMT-08:00)
To: gingery-machines@groups.io
Subject: [gingery-machines] Lathe reinforcements #lathe, #shaper, #Milling machine

Hi,
Finally getting to build my gingery machine shop. I have a question for you folks that have built Dave's lathe. What have you found in Dave's designs that need a little modification? Is there one place on the web that has an archive of "improvements"? Thanks for any assistance.
Jon Sumpter
Waldport, Oregon

The best advice?   Build it as designed.  It functions as designed in a light duty hobby shop.

Most of what you get from this is the learning and experience of the work to build the machine.  

If you are looking for a “better” lathe then you should start with one.  But you miss the learning experience.  

Remember these books were written at a time when hobby metal working machines were not available.  Now they are..  

The 1 thing you can easily change without any major modification that will lead to other modifications.  Is the motor.   Variable speed drives and smaller more powerful motors are pretty plentiful on the salvage market now..  

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 5:19 PM <jonsmptr@...> wrote:
Hi,
Jon Sumpter
Waldport, Oregon

--
Chris (CB)

John Dammeyer

I actually agree with Chris.  I made my wider headstock foot after I built the system as stock.  The only exception was the double row of screws.  That was a no-brainer for the first edition because with a single inline row I was able to still flex the ways with pressure on the cross slide.

To put the whole Gingery into perspective, I have a small Unimat DB-200.  It's not as tough as the Gingery but then it's not designed to turn 7" diameter stuff since the headstock is too close to the ways.  I think as Chris stated, for a light duty machine shop usage it's not bad especially if you think of it more as a 4" or 5" light duty lathe instead of 7".  I made a lot of different parts on it before I acquired my South Bend.  And that includes turning R8 and MT tapers using my ELS. 

You just have to remember to make light cuts.

And building stock teaches you to follow directions and plans.  That's actually a skill that not everyone has or is very good at.

John

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris (CB)
Sent: December-31-21 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [gingery-machines] Lathe reinforcements #lathe, #shaper, #Milling machine

The best advice?   Build it as designed.  It functions as designed in a light duty hobby shop.

Most of what you get from this is the learning and experience of the work to build the machine.  

If you are looking for a “better” lathe then you should start with one.  But you miss the learning experience.  

Remember these books were written at a time when hobby metal working machines were not available.  Now they are..  

The 1 thing you can easily change without any major modification that will lead to other modifications.  Is the motor.   Variable speed drives and smaller more powerful motors are pretty plentiful on the salvage market now..  

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 5:19 PM <jonsmptr@...> wrote:

Hi,
Jon Sumpter
Waldport, Oregon

--

Chris (CB)

Jon Sumpter

OK Folks,
My intent was to build as designed so thank you for the good thoughts and ideas.
   I just sold an old but tight Craftsman 12 x 36 so I understand the idea of buying a better machine.
    My idea is to build the only machine that can reproduce itself and maybe a few other things too.
Jon S
Waldport, Oregon

John Dammeyer

Hi Jon,

I still really want to build the shaper just because.  I learned so much building the Lathe from scratch.  I ended up buying a long 5/16" drill bit so I could bore the spindle to that diameter.

Now after all these years, I've often thought with the newer modern CAD systems that I might take the base Gingery design and upgrade it as per my list.   One other thing I'd change but again I'd have to look into crucible size is the headstock so it would use the standard off the shelf utility tapered trailer bearings with the 1" bore.   

And like you stated, to do it right perhaps start with the stock Gingery and use it to create the new one.  Wouldn't be fair if I used my South Bend 10L and LinuxCNC controlled mill since that's essentially cheating.

But even if I didn't do that I think a different bed casting or bed of some sort to resist the twist is mandatory.  Most of the chatter I got with turning was from that.  I don't know how well X crosses in the bed casting would resist the twist.  And again the ugly 6# crucible limitation creeps in.  Being able to cast 12# would make a huge difference.

Without the 12# I wouldn't have been able to cast these pieces.

John

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jon Sumpter
Sent: January-01-22 12:27 AM
Subject: Re: [gingery-machines] Lathe reinforcements #lathe, #shaper, #Milling machine

OK Folks,

My intent was to build as designed so thank you for the good thoughts and ideas.

I just sold an old but tight Craftsman 12 x 36 so I understand the idea of buying a better machine.

My idea is to build the only machine that can reproduce itself and maybe a few other things too.

Jon S

Waldport, Oregon