Gingery shaper patterns available

Nick Andrews

If anyone is interested in paying shipping, I have Rick Sparber's patterns used for casting parts to make the Gingery shaper.  I think I also printed out all of his modifications to the original design, all of which were improvements.  Not crazy heavy either.  Too much stuff to fit in one flat rate box though.Shipping from San Antonio, TX.

John Dammeyer

I'd be interested.  Shipping to Canada, Victoria, BC. V8Z 5P8

John Dammeyer

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nick Andrews
Sent: June-09-21 10:45 AM
To: gingery-machines@groups.io
Subject: [gingery-machines] Gingery shaper patterns available

If anyone is interested in paying shipping, I have Rick Sparber's patterns used for casting parts to make the Gingery shaper.  I think I also printed out all of his modifications to the original design, all of which were improvements.  Not crazy heavy either.  Too much stuff to fit in one flat rate box though.Shipping from San Antonio, TX.

Bill in OKC too

I was going to volunteer to take them if no-one else did, but I think your place would be a better home!

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 02:52:50 PM CDT, John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

John Dammeyer

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nick Andrews

John Dammeyer

I have a folder with all his changes that he documented.  But I guess it depends on shipping.  If it costs more than paint, filler and the wood then I'd probably make my own.  

John

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill in OKC too via groups.io
Sent: June-09-21 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [gingery-machines] Gingery shaper patterns available

I was going to volunteer to take them if no-one else did, but I think your place would be a better home!

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

Nick Andrews

Well they're yours if you want them. I promised Rick I'd pass them along and as I no longer need them...  They look to be in great condition. 

I can put them in a box and weigh it to calculate shipping costs.  The printed stuff is about a full ream worth of paper so if I toss that it'll save you some moola.  I could also leave out the large round wheel/pulley blank that should be very easy to make to shave weight more. 

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 3:10 PM John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

I have a folder with all his changes that he documented.  But I guess it depends on shipping.  If it costs more than paint, filler and the wood then I'd probably make my own.  

John

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill in OKC too via groups.io

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

John Dammeyer

I guess we have to weigh [SIC] the costs of disposal and reprinting verses shipping costs.  How about a weight of the whole works and then without the paper.  Shame to throw out all the paper.  Or the round blank.

John

Sent: June-09-21 5:56 PM

Well they're yours if you want them. I promised Rick I'd pass them along and as I no longer need them...  They look to be in great condition. 

I can put them in a box and weigh it to calculate shipping costs.  The printed stuff is about a full ream worth of paper so if I toss that it'll save you some moola.  I could also leave out the large round wheel/pulley blank that should be very easy to make to shave weight more. 

John

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

Nick Andrews

In this box,  it's 13lb3oz.  Without the paper,  it's about 9lb 12oz.  I'd use a smaller box but add bubble wrap for protection. 

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 8:07 PM John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

I guess we have to weigh [SIC] the costs of disposal and reprinting verses shipping costs.  How about a weight of the whole works and then without the paper.  Shame to throw out all the paper.  Or the round blank.

John

John

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

John Dammeyer

You said it would require two boxes. I know it's a pain to ship it across the border so if that is too much trouble and someone else has a foundry and wants them I would step aside.  

Otherwise let's find out what shipping them will cost. 
John. 

Sent from my Samsung S10

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2021-06-09 6:22 p.m. (GMT-08:00)

In this box,  it's 13lb3oz.  Without the paper,  it's about 9lb 12oz.  I'd use a smaller box but add bubble wrap for protection. 

John

John

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

John Dammeyer

To expand on this.  If I was sending a 32" x 16" x 8" 14 lb box to Texas this is what I'd have to pay not including any duty and taxes and that's the lowest. With that sort of cost I think it will be better if it goes somewhere more local.

Thanks for offering them.

John

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Dammeyer
Sent: June-09-21 6:54 PM

You said it would require two boxes. I know it's a pain to ship it across the border so if that is too much trouble and someone else has a foundry and wants them I would step aside.  

John. 

Sent from my Samsung S10

John

John

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

Nick Andrews

I can definitely fit them in one box after looking at them.  And it'll be way smaller than 32".  How about if I repack them in a smaller box for shipping and then get an actual quote. 

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 9:51 PM John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

To expand on this.  If I was sending a 32" x 16" x 8" 14 lb box to Texas this is what I'd have to pay not including any duty and taxes and that's the lowest. With that sort of cost I think it will be better if it goes somewhere more local.

John

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Dammeyer

John. 

Sent from my Samsung S10

I guess we have to weigh [SIC] the costs of disposal and reprinting verses shipping costs.  How about a weight of the whole works and then without the paper.  Shame to throw out all the paper.  Or the round blank.

John

John

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

John Dammeyer

Sure. 

Sent: June-09-21 8:38 PM

I can definitely fit them in one box after looking at them.  And it'll be way smaller than 32".  How about if I repack them in a smaller box for shipping and then get an actual quote. 

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 9:51 PM John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

John

John. 

Sent from my Samsung S10

I guess we have to weigh [SIC] the costs of disposal and reprinting verses shipping costs.  How about a weight of the whole works and then without the paper.  Shame to throw out all the paper.  Or the round blank.

John

John

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

Drag

If I might suggest, tightly pack all of the wooden pieces in a paper grocery bag that is laying on its face... Then wrap the bag and tape it shut... Put the paper in an envelope, and add that on top of the bag... This will give you the smallest possible size for your box without adding much to the weight.

Drag

Nelson Collar

That is not the best way to send in the USPS. Take all the parts and nest them as close as possible and go by by the size. Place them in a Box from the PO they go by weight and ALL the patterns will not go over their max weight for the size. Do insure the package for much higher than it is worth. If anything happens you get paid if lost. You will play hell getting any compensation for broken parts. 
Nelson Collar

They are custom parts and require a special person to replace them.

On Thursday, June 10, 2021, 06:26:05 PM EDT, Drag <dragnfyr@gmail.com> wrote:

If I might suggest, tightly pack all of the wooden pieces in a paper grocery bag that is laying on its face... Then wrap the bag and tape it shut... Put the paper in an envelope, and add that on top of the bag... This will give you the smallest possible size for your box without adding much to the weight.

Drag

Nick Andrews

They might actually fit in one of the flatter longer flat rate boxes.  Definitely not in the standard squarish ones.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 9:02 PM Nelson Collar via groups.io <nel2lar=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That is not the best way to send in the USPS. Take all the parts and nest them as close as possible and go by by the size. Place them in a Box from the PO they go by weight and ALL the patterns will not go over their max weight for the size. Do insure the package for much higher than it is worth. If anything happens you get paid if lost. You will play hell getting any compensation for broken parts. 
Nelson Collar

They are custom parts and require a special person to replace them.

On Thursday, June 10, 2021, 06:26:05 PM EDT, Drag <dragnfyr@...> wrote:

Drag

Nick Andrews

Okay,  I finally got the right box,  and they do all fit in one USPS flat rate game box, with the paper printouts and room for a bit of bubble wrap around and between them.  International to Canada is $72.  Shipping in USA is about $24.  Sorry it took so long,  but work is busy and it's hot here!  Was 108 in the shop today. 

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 2:57 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

Bill in OKC too

I think it would be better to send it to John, but if he can't do it, I'll take them. Once they get here, they may never be seen again...

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, September 4, 2021, 08:46:41 PM CDT, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay,  I finally got the right box,  and they do all fit in one USPS flat rate game box, with the paper printouts and room for a bit of bubble wrap around and between them.  International to Canada is $72.  Shipping in USA is about $24.  Sorry it took so long,  but work is busy and it's hot here!  Was 108 in the shop today.
On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 2:57 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill in OKC

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 02:52:50 PM CDT, John Dammeyer <johnd@autoartisans.com> wrote:

John Dammeyer

John Dammeyer

OK.  How would you like to be paid?  I can send Paypal to your email address.

John

Sent: September-04-21 6:46 PM

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer

Terry Coombs

On 9/4/2021 9:13 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:
I think it would be better to send it to John, but if he can't do it, I'll take them. Once they get here, they may never be seen again...
Bill in OKC
Oh I don't know about that Bill ... you ain't all that far from Stone County Arkansas and I still want to build a shaper . But I'm too lazy to build the rest of the patterns . <I've got some of the patterns here somewhere I think>
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

John Dammeyer

Once I cast all the bits and pieces and make any new or repair, I'll forward them on to whoever wants them.

Lately pattern making has become really easy. I use AlibreCAD to model the parts and even create the 2D drawings. I then suppress the various holes and slots and scale it by 1.06 for aluminium shrinkage and add draft to the extrusions.

Then export as STL and use Repetier to create the gcode for the 3D printer. Off to Octoprint and then it's time for some sanding, scraping, priming, fille, primer and paint.

I'm currently building a power drawbar for the mill. Depending on what I'm doing I use either the Gingery Lathe or the South Bend for the bigger parts.

None of this would have been possible had I not discovered the Gingery books and built the Gas Fired Foundry, Power Hacksaw, Slip Roll and the Lathe. And had it not been for the Gingery Lathe I'd never have designed and built my Electronic Lead Screw which I use all the time for turning and especially boring to depth. But most of all, on the old imperial South Bend, metric threads.

So Thanks Dave Gingery. My hobby of machining and casting wouldn't exist if it wasn't for him.

With CNC on the mill I'm not even sure if I need a shaper all that badly. Not even sure where I'll put it. But I know by building it I will learn a whole bunch more. I hope so. Seems I still make things 3 times when I use CNC but slowly I'm getting better. The shaper is an ideal project for this.

Attached are photos of the current project using the first try at 3D printed parts. The second is the improved parts turned into patterns. It's raining now and is supposed to on Sunday. That means it won't be so dangerously dry out and I can take a stab at some casting.

John Dammeyer

-----Original Message-----
From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Terry Coombs
Sent: September-04-21 7:53 PM

On 9/4/2021 9:13 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:

Bill in OKC
Oh I don't know about that Bill ... you ain't all that far from Stone
County Arkansas and I still want to build a shaper . But I'm too lazy to
build the rest of the patterns . <I've got some of the patterns here
somewhere I think>
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Nick Andrews

That works if they still do the "send to friends and family" option.  Since they are going that far,  I might slide in a piece of Masonite or something on flat sides versus bubble wrap.   Better protection.   Let me see what I can find. 

I thought briefly about trying to cast a couple sets of the parts and build it even though I have the Logan just for the experience,  but I have way too many projects as it is. And now the 3 jaw is stuck on my 11" Sheldon again.   Time to cut a wedge and tap it loose.  Then I can trim the back plate for the 4 jaw and get to cleaning up a 1903 receiver since I got the old plugged barrel out.  And a casting for one that needs to be machined and heat treated too.

Could've given the Gingery shaper to my brother in Arizona but he's got a little one car garage that's packed,  especially until he sells his smaller South Bend 9".

I'll try to get it packed up and sent on Tuesday if I can but I'm flying to Columbia,  MO that day for a site visit at the VA on a big network upgrade we're designing. Will be there the 7-10.  Anything interesting there besides the hotel bar and Mizzou college girls? 

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021, 9:35 PM John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

OK.  How would you like to be paid?  I can send Paypal to your email address.

John

Sent: September-04-21 6:46 PM

Bill in OKC

John Dammeyer