What happened to Makercise?


dk54321@...
 

I've been watching Cressel Anderson's excellent YouTube videos on his Makercise channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZnQYVCCnNnwqiJRIYQuYdA
He built a Gingery lathe and shaper, and started the milling machine. The last video was posted in October 2019. Does anyone know if he's planning more?


Bill in OKC too
 

Never heard of him before, but looks like a good one to be looking at. Last video is about a year old. He may have been overcome by financial disaster that has overtaken a lot of us in this age of COVID-19. May be working to support his family, home ill himself or caring for others who are, or just hunkering down and waiting for things to blow over. I don't know, at this point. Hope to see more of his videos soon. Let us know what you find out?

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)


A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)





On Saturday, May 8, 2021, 09:13:09 PM CDT, dk54321 via groups.io <dk54321@...> wrote:


I've been watching Cressel Anderson's excellent YouTube videos on his Makercise channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZnQYVCCnNnwqiJRIYQuYdA
He built a Gingery lathe and shaper, and started the milling machine. The last video was posted in October 2019. Does anyone know if he's planning more?


Ethan Allred
 

I quite enjoyed his videos as well, so seeing this popped up I did a little digging. Seems he's still alive and well, looks like a case of life getting in the way and his channel/brand not being the priority at the moment. Maybe we'll see him return to uploading in the future. Considering his personal lack of social media presence I'm guessing though it'd be rude to bother him about it.


On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 8:39 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Never heard of him before, but looks like a good one to be looking at. Last video is about a year old. He may have been overcome by financial disaster that has overtaken a lot of us in this age of COVID-19. May be working to support his family, home ill himself or caring for others who are, or just hunkering down and waiting for things to blow over. I don't know, at this point. Hope to see more of his videos soon. Let us know what you find out?

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)


A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)





On Saturday, May 8, 2021, 09:13:09 PM CDT, dk54321 via groups.io <dk54321=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:


I've been watching Cressel Anderson's excellent YouTube videos on his Makercise channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZnQYVCCnNnwqiJRIYQuYdA
He built a Gingery lathe and shaper, and started the milling machine. The last video was posted in October 2019. Does anyone know if he's planning more?


John Dammeyer
 

You do bring up an interesting subject.  Why so many of these forums are virtually inactive and it appears no one is making things.  One would think with COVID and people working from home that there would be more activity.

 

One theory I have is that no one is interested in building the Gingery tools when far east tooling is so cheap. 

 

Another theory is that with YouTube videos there is no need to ask questions.  Especially if the response to a question is "look it up, your question has already been answered".

 

Third theory is there are too many forums and groups.

 

Comments?

 

John

 

 

From: gingery-machines@groups.io [mailto:gingery-machines@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ethan Allred
Sent: May-08-21 8:59 PM
To: gingery-machines@groups.io
Subject: Re: [gingery-machines] What happened to Makercise?

 

I quite enjoyed his videos as well, so seeing this popped up I did a little digging. Seems he's still alive and well, looks like a case of life getting in the way and his channel/brand not being the priority at the moment. Maybe we'll see him return to uploading in the future. Considering his personal lack of social media presence I'm guessing though it'd be rude to bother him about it.

 

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 8:39 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Never heard of him before, but looks like a good one to be looking at. Last video is about a year old. He may have been overcome by financial disaster that has overtaken a lot of us in this age of COVID-19. May be working to support his family, home ill himself or caring for others who are, or just hunkering down and waiting for things to blow over. I don't know, at this point. Hope to see more of his videos soon. Let us know what you find out?

 

Bill in OKC

 

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

 

 

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

 

 

 

 

On Saturday, May 8, 2021, 09:13:09 PM CDT, dk54321 via groups.io <dk54321=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

 

 

I've been watching Cressel Anderson's excellent YouTube videos on his Makercise channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZnQYVCCnNnwqiJRIYQuYdA
He built a Gingery lathe and shaper, and started the milling machine. The last video was posted in October 2019. Does anyone know if he's planning more?


Brandon Nugent
 

I can tell you his videos really helped me as I built and finished my Gingery lathe last year.  Great editing and super helpful.

As for posting my own videos... that's a lot of work!  The expectation of quality and the time needed to make just a crappy video are more than I am capable of at the moment.  My next project will be the shaper, but that's after we get resettled after our move this year and I find a good place to put the lathe and foundry equipment.  My intention is to film and post as much as possible, and if I do, it will be low budget.



Even if the question has been answered, I hope other people will NOT take my approach and do videos anyway.  I enjoy seeing how people have solved certain problems and I tend to always learn something.  Perhaps I will be able to return the favor at some point.  In the meantime, I do post picture on Instagram (nugentmakes) and have at least been recording the Gingery progress there for others to review.


Ethan Allred
 

Personally, I kinda gave up on building my gingery machines. Had a lot of trouble with castings, and in the end got an import lathe on sale. Instead of building my own machines I switched over to buying a 70 year old large lathe and restoring that for YouTube videos. It'll be much more capable than the gingery machine, and just as satisfying to turn something old and rusty into a restored piece of equipment.


On Sun, May 9, 2021, 13:02 Brandon Nugent <nugentmakes@...> wrote:
I can tell you his videos really helped me as I built and finished my Gingery lathe last year.  Great editing and super helpful.

As for posting my own videos... that's a lot of work!  The expectation of quality and the time needed to make just a crappy video are more than I am capable of at the moment.  My next project will be the shaper, but that's after we get resettled after our move this year and I find a good place to put the lathe and foundry equipment.  My intention is to film and post as much as possible, and if I do, it will be low budget.



Even if the question has been answered, I hope other people will NOT take my approach and do videos anyway.  I enjoy seeing how people have solved certain problems and I tend to always learn something.  Perhaps I will be able to return the favor at some point.  In the meantime, I do post picture on Instagram (nugentmakes) and have at least been recording the Gingery progress there for others to review.


Brandon Nugent
 

The castings were definitely troublesome.  Headstock and the bed were the worst.  Although over time it did get better and when I picked up the book by John Campbell, it all started to turn a corner.  Imagining someone in an apartment and trying to build any of the Gingery machines would take me back to where I was, in an apartment and relegated to building things virtually(i.e. coding).  Wasn't until the opportunity showed itself that I was able to begin the three year journey of building the lathe.  No regrets.  Its been a meditation of sorts and something I've been able to share with my kids.  Not sure they will ever decide to pick up a crucible and join me, but at least they've seen it happen and have a contextual perspective of how some projects take a little bit longer than an hour.
I switched over to buying a 70 year old large lathe and restoring that for YouTube videos
What kind of lathe?  Restoration projects definitely teach a lot.


Ethan Allred
 

It's a lebond regal lathe, built in the latter half of 1950. 17" center and over 60" working length, it was a bear to get into my garage. I'm about halfway through the restoration now, having taken the whole thing apart in my spare time while working 40 hours a week and taking 4 classes a semester at college. Recording it all for YouTube has been a learning experience itself.


On Sun, May 9, 2021, 14:19 Brandon Nugent <nugentmakes@...> wrote:
The castings were definitely troublesome.  Headstock and the bed were the worst.  Although over time it did get better and when I picked up the book by John Campbell, it all started to turn a corner.  Imagining someone in an apartment and trying to build any of the Gingery machines would take me back to where I was, in an apartment and relegated to building things virtually(i.e. coding).  Wasn't until the opportunity showed itself that I was able to begin the three year journey of building the lathe.  No regrets.  Its been a meditation of sorts and something I've been able to share with my kids.  Not sure they will ever decide to pick up a crucible and join me, but at least they've seen it happen and have a contextual perspective of how some projects take a little bit longer than an hour.
I switched over to buying a 70 year old large lathe and restoring that for YouTube videos
What kind of lathe?  Restoration projects definitely teach a lot.


Ron Dyck
 

For those that haven't discovered it yet.  PGS has a YouTube series om making a Gingery milling machine, and the indexing head.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOYaMSY8f8t-YgvdMJXFRRA/videos


Ron Dyck
 


Brandon Nugent
 

Thanks!  I just subscribed.


dk54321@...
 

I'm not sure how to reply to a specific post, but I tried the links above. I'd subscribed to PGS so long ago, I'd forgotten about it, so I bookmarked it. (I have WAY too many YouTube subscriptions!) The DaveBoatBuilder link didn't work until I cut it down like this: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveBoatBuilder/videoseBoatBuilder/videos and pasted it in my browser.

Any more links to share?


dk54321@...
 

I can't speak for anyone else, but since my employer makes parts for emergency generators, we were deemed essential, and never shut down. If anything, we've been busier than usual. I had signed up to take some classes before the pandemic, and those just moved to online. We're going back to in-person classes this summer, and I'm taking SolidWorks- Advanced.