Bed Wear #lathe

John Dammeyer

I did some wood turning on my Gingery to make a plug for the bottom of the cardboard shipping tube I use to hold my oil hardening rod.  The plastic one fell out today when I moved the tube.

So I have turned and glued/stapled in a wooden plug I turned on my Gingery.  Then I cleaned up all the sawdust and oiled things.   That's when I noticed I had bed wear.  Here's the far shot.

And the close up.

This shot is from MAY 2002 so one can see the lathe is not new.  And it has seen a lot of use.  Especially since it was the vehicle for developing my ELS which I used to day to turn the wooden plug.  So lots of automated motion back and forth.

Still I thought it was interesting.

John Dammeyer

"ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"

Automation Artisans Inc.

www dot autoartisans dot com

John Dammeyer

Oops.  Forgot the old one.

This shot is from MAY 2002 so one can see the lathe is not new.  And it has seen a lot of use.  Especially since it was the vehicle for developing my ELS which I used to day to turn the wooden plug.  So lots of automated motion back and forth.

Still I thought it was interesting.

Oh and here's that wooden plug.   So even though I have a big South Bend I still find I use the little Gingery.  And it's fully automated with the ELS so the shoulder on the plug was set up as threading with 0.020" pitch, cutting 0.04" per pass for a total depth of 0.210" to get to 1.5" from the wooden blank.  The blank was held in the 3-Jaw.