High SWR with TUNE engaged on swopping bands #bug_or_feature

M0ODH Darrell

Had an issue a few times now when leaving the TUNE engaged and switching bands then seeing very high SWR unless I switch off the Internal Tuner.

I have a resonant antenna (DX Commander) on most bands, and only need the internal ATU to bring down 10m SWR from 2:1 to < 1.5:1

I don't use the internal ATU on any band except 10m, so think this maybe the issue. As I've not gone through a tuning cycle on any band except 10m I think the tuner gets confused when switching to a band with no TUNE settings, and gives a very high SWR until I press TUNE to remove the Internal ATU, or go through a tuning cycle on that band.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue?

Obviously, I have updated firmware to latest level and done a full reset already.  ;)

73s

W3NR Ed

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:33:18 -0700
"Darrell M0ODH" <darrell_hulls@...> wrote:

Had an issue a few times now when leaving the TUNE engaged and
switching bands then seeing very high SWR unless I switch off the
Internal Tuner.

I have a resonant antenna (DX Commander) on most bands, and only need
the internal ATU to bring down 10m SWR from 2:1 to < 1.5:1

I don't use the internal ATU on any band except 10m, so think this
maybe the issue. As I've not gone through a tuning cycle on any band
except 10m I think the tuner gets confused when switching to a band
with no TUNE settings, and gives a very high SWR until I press TUNE
to remove the Internal ATU, or go through a tuning cycle on that band.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue?

Obviously, I have updated firmware to latest level and done a full
reset already.  ;)

73s
So you are hot switching the radio and then wonder what the problem is ?

Ed W3NR

WB6RXG Stuart Schaffert

Where did you get "hot switching" from his post?.
He has the tuner enabled/on when on 10 meters.
When he changes bands and transmits the SWR is high until he either disables the tuner or presses the tune button.
He's not changing bands during transmit nor is he switching the tuner in out out during transmit.
I'll bet you can't even hot switch anything during transmit.

Darrell is basically correct in his assumption. The tuner isn't confused, it doesn't have a solution stored in memory for the frequency he changed to. Turing off the tuner or pressing the tune button solves the problem. This is correct operation of the rig.

-----

So you are hot switching the radio and then wonder what the problem is ?

Ed W3NR

W3NR Ed

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:33:39 -0700
"WB6RXG Stuart Schaffert" <stuart.schaffert@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok thanks guys, seems like normal operation then.

to confirm I am not “hot switching”, not transmitting whilst changing bands. I doubt the radio would let me do that anyway.

Like I said in the original post, I’m aware of the issue and look out for it now, but was curious to know if others had seen the same issue.

I’ll probably sit down one afternoon and go through bands and setup the tuner on each band just in case. That will provide a backup as well in case I forget to check.

thanks and 73s

N4HNH

Edited

The FTdx10 band stacks remember the last state. They remember frequency, mode, filter, DNR, etc., plus whether the Tuner was enabled. Turn Tuner off on every band stack except the ones for 30m, since that is the only band you need the tuner for.
--
73, de N4HNH
N4HNH RADIO on YouTube

Doug Gerard - NP2GG

Yup.  You are correct.  It’s normal.  Enjoy your new radio!