Yet More Map window questions (Parts)

johnfirr@...

Can I ask what is the significance of the "parts" column in the placename list widow in maps.

I have worked out that commas will seperate the record eg Biggleswade Bedfordshire England will all appear in the "part 1" column whereas Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, England will split the place name between three "part" columns. Question is "why does that matter"?

and as a supplementary. Assuming it does matter how do I make sure town is always in part 1, County in part 2 and country in part 3, eg if I only have England, how do I force that into part 3 rather than letting it sit itself in part 1.

Sorry if that is a confused question, if it makes no sense I will try to rephrase.

thanks
John.

Mike Tate

John,

To answer your last question, you enter extra commas without any names.

e.g. ‘ , , England’

There are tools in FH to extract say the 3rd Part of a Place name.

It is sometimes useful to know that will always be the country (assuming you have 3 Part Place names).

e.g.

Users sometimes need to differentiate Census records in UK from those in Canada.

The Census event for such records will use the same Date as they occurred on the same day in UK and Canada.

Therefore, the Place field must be inspected to see if has Canada as the country or not.

If the country is always in Part 3 then that is easy. If not then I’ll let you think about it.

Mike Tate