Word limit in note window

Jenny Cochrane

Since upgrading to FH7 I've been using the note window extensively as I find it very useful being able to have the property box or other window open whilst I type a not. However, I've got to about 5000 words and can't input further unless I delete a few words.

Is this limit intended? Can I change it?

I realise most notes are not this length but I'm typing up a narrative story on one family branch. I can always split the note or go back to using Word but would prefer not to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jenny

Mike Tate

Hi Jenny,

5,000 is certainly a lot of words for one Note, and I suspect Calico Pie did not anticipate Notes that large.

You will have to ask them as the program designers what solutions might be possible.

Use the http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php ticket system.

There are no settings in the program you can change.

Wherever a single Note is allowed you can have multiple Notes, but they may need a little trickery to get them all into a Report.

Exactly which Notes are you using as they are attached everywhere, and how do you currently incorporate them into Reports?

Mike Tate

Victor Markham

Jenny

Instead of writing narative reports have you tried 'view' on the tool bar then prtompt 'publish' and chose from the list. FG will then generate a narrative report.

Or is that kind of report you are not seeking

Victor

On 15/02/2021 11:25 am, Jenny Cochrane via groups.io wrote:
Since upgrading to FH7 I've been using the note window extensively as I find it very useful being able to have the property box or other window open whilst I type a not. However, I've got to about 5000 words and can't input further unless I delete a few words.

Is this limit intended? Can I change it?

I realise most notes are not this length but I'm typing up a narrative story on one family branch. I can always split the note or go back to using Word but would prefer not to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jenny

Jenny Cochrane

Thanks Mike.

Yes I knew I was using the note function in an unconventional way but found the function too useful to resist!

Currently I'm just typing an unattached narrative note which tells the story of several generations of one branch of the family. Eventually I may attach to many individuals but I'm not concerned about reports as I can exclude these long notes if required. I started this one to trace where a large inheritance went across the generations.

I'm afraid I have "form" for long narratives. The last one (for family circulation) runs to 60,000 words.

I'll open a ticket or maybe add to the Wish List.

Thanks again

Jenny

On Monday, 15 February 2021, 12:20:28 GMT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Jenny,

5,000 is certainly a lot of words for one Note, and I suspect Calico Pie did not anticipate Notes that large.

You will have to ask them as the program designers what solutions might be possible.

Use the http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php ticket system.

There are no settings in the program you can change.

Wherever a single Note is allowed you can have multiple Notes, but they may need a little trickery to get them all into a Report.

Exactly which Notes are you using as they are attached everywhere, and how do you currently incorporate them into Reports?

You didn’t say, but I guess you are talking about Note records listed in the Records Window on the Notes tab.

For the time being, you will have to start a new Note record for each section/chapter/generation that exceeds 5,000 words.

Mike

Jenny Cochrane

Thanks Victor,

Though I do use the inbuilt narrative (and other) reports, they are necessarily formulaic and from time to time I want to write something more interpretive and analytical. I'm currently looking at how 6 siblings, all legatees of their uncle (the court case spent decades in Chancery) ended up in very different situations.

I think I will just do a separate note for each of the siblings and their descendants with linked intro and conclusion.

Jenny

On Monday, 15 February 2021, 12:47:44 GMT, Victor Markham via groups.io <victor@...> wrote:

[...]

Narrative reports saved as a word document can be edited to suite how you want it. I tend to edit it with mainly with cencus images. I use AS and add the images vertically. When I do a narrative report I increas the size of the images to cove the whole A4 page so they could be read. I do the same with other images like BMD's

I have also done an individual narrative report for one person. This is available by thre method I mentioned before. It gives you the choice of ancestors, descendants and individual.

I did an individual report a couple of days ago and sent it to a cousin who corrected me on one name. Imlisted the name as her sister when in fact it was her husbands sister

Victor

On 15/02/2021 1:14 pm, Jenny Cochrane via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Exactly

On Monday, 15 February 2021, 13:07:07 GMT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

You didn’t say, but I guess you are talking about Note records listed in the Records Window on the Notes tab.

For the time being, you will have to start a new Note record for each section/chapter/generation that exceeds 5,000 words.

Mike

Edward Sneithe

I too am using notes to input extensive data but I have not yet reached that limit. Just out of curiosity you say 5,000 words but how many characters is that? If you are using big words with spaces and punctuation you may be hitting an addressing limit.

We are all familiar with the 32k vs 64k systems at least by name. If FH may still be bound by the 32k limit in some places then that may be the limit that is being imposed. If I take 5000 words and add spaces and punctuation I come very close to the 32k addressing limit.

If FH is trying to accommodate older systems then the 32k may stand for awhile. Other users have provided some unique ways to get around a limit like this and I will certainly keep them in mind if I hit this limit.

Also the amount of space is not limited to just characters, spaces and punctuation. Formatting also takes space so you may not see a hard limit of 5000 words or 32k codepoints that make up the 32k addressing limit. My point is the number words or characters may be flexible depending on what you have entered.

On Monday, February 15, 2021, 08:55:37 AM EST, Jenny Cochrane via groups.io <cochranejenny@...> wrote:

Exactly

On Monday, 15 February 2021, 13:07:07 GMT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

You didn’t say, but I guess you are talking about Note records listed in the Records Window on the Notes tab.

For the time being, you will have to start a new Note record for each section/chapter/generation that exceeds 5,000 words.

Mike

Jenny Cochrane

According to Word, it's 33,297 characters with spaces, 27478 without spaces, 5813 words, 480 lines.

There are a few big words in there. I do try!!

On Monday, 15 February 2021, 14:43:18 GMT, Edward Sneithe via groups.io <truthfor16@...> wrote:

[...]

Gill

It sounds fascinating!

Gill