Version 6 compatibility with Version 7 project

jez@...

New to this forum & have a basic question, to which I'll probably get an answer I didn't want!
My brother & I work on the same project file shared on one drive. I upgraded to v7 recently, he is still on v6.
He is getting a message:
"Caution: This family tree file was created by a later version of FH. Opening it may result in data loss. Do you wish to continue"
Is this true? Have I, by upgrading, forced him to do the same? I won't be popular!!
Thanks in advance. Jez

Neil Grantham

Jez

You are going to be unpopular!
V7 uses a newer version of Gedcom that won’t work with V6

If you are sharing the project using a cloud storage system such as Dropbox, he will very likely break your data if he opens it.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

Yes, upgrading to v7 does some changes to the underlying Gedcom file which are not recognised by v6.   Both must be on the same version, so he will have to upgrade.  I suggest you both make sure you have the latest download - v7.0.3.0 as that has a lot of fixes applied.

jez@...

Thanks Neil & Paul for your prompt and, unfortunately, not unexpected responses.

I presume that there is no capability to share licences across family members, as we are only working on one project?
If not, I'll go away and try to placate my brother!

Cheers
Jez

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

The licence allows YOU to run the software on 2 PCs that are only used by YOU. So, no, you can’t share with your brother.

Thanks Neil & Paul for your prompt and, unfortunately, not unexpected responses.

I presume that there is no capability to share licences across family members, as we are only working on one project?
If not, I'll go away and try to placate my brother!

Cheers
Jez

jez@...

Thanks for your response colevalleygirl. That, in no uncertain way, clarified the situation to ME!