Update on version 7

Simon Orde

Some of you have been asking: what is happening with version 7?  This is just a quick update.

Version 7 is coming.  We are very excited about it, and we think you will be too.  It is a big upgrade, with a lot of great new features, and a big step forward.  And we're working pretty much flat out getting it ready.  Some things have taken longer than we had estimated.  There were a number of reasons for that.  One of them was that in several cases, we have ended up being more ambitious in terms of the features we chose to include, than we had originally planned.  Someone asked if we'd had delays because of Covid-19.  That actually hasn't affected things that much.  A more significant factor is just the scale of the upgrade.  As I say, it's is big.  If you've got a small project and you are over-optimistic in your time estimates, the extra time required is probably not that much.  But if the project is big, and you are over-optimistic in your time estimates, the extra time required is likely to be proportionately greater.

In terms of what's coming up in version 7, if you haven't already read Dick Eastman's blog on this, it's still the best source of information about it (we gave a demo of a preview build to Dick Eastman at RootsTech back in October).  Here's a quote from the blog:

"Version 7 of Family Historian will include a very powerful word processor that provides familiar word-processing features such as bullets and tables, but also includes embedded record links (that is, links to records in your project), web links (links to websites), private notes-within-notes incorporating hash tags (similar to hash tags used on Twitter and elsewhere), and embedded source citations (that is, numbered source citations which can be inserted into the text itself, rather than just attached to the note as a whole). The new version also includes improved support for sources and source templates, new relationship diagrams, new DNA tools, quite a few new reports, and quite a few enhancements to existing features." (https://blog.eogn.com/2019/11/06/help-wanted-looking-for-former-tmg-users-to-help-test-a-future-version-of-family-historian/).

As well as this, there's good news for TMG users:  version 7 will include a powerful TMG import routine incorporating code version for TMG codes.  And yes version 7 will also support sort dates.  There's also good news for people who want to produce output in languages other than English.  And there's more good news for everyone, in other features we haven't mentioned.  But hopefully that's enough to whet your appetite for now.

In the next few weeks, we hope to make an announcement about the beta program.  Meanwhile - thank you for your patience.

Simon Orde
Calico Pie

Sue Herrington

Edited

Thank you for the update Simon. Looking forward to v7

Sue Herrington

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 17:24 Simon Orde, <simon-fhu@...> wrote:

Some of you have been asking: what is happening with version 7?  This is just a quick update.

Version 7 is coming.  We are very excited about it, and we think you will be too.  It is a big upgrade, with a lot of great new features, and a big step forward.  And we're working pretty much flat out getting it ready.  Some things have taken longer than we had estimated.  There were a number of reasons for that.  One of them was that in several cases, we have ended up being more ambitious in terms of the features we chose to include, than we had originally planned.  Someone asked if we'd had delays because of Covid-19.  That actually hasn't affected things that much.  A more significant factor is just the scale of the upgrade.  As I say, it's big.  If you've got a small project and you are over-optimistic in your time estimates, the extra time required is probably not that much.  But if the project is big, and you are over-optimistic in your time estimates, the extra time required is likely to be proportionately greater.

[...]

As well as this, there's good news for TMG users:  version 7 will include a powerful TMG import routine incorporating code conversion for TMG codes.  And yes version 7 will also support sort dates.  There's also good news for people who want to produce output in languages other than English.  And there's more good news for everyone, in other features we haven't mentioned.  But hopefully that's enough to whet your appetite for now.

In the next few weeks, we hope to make an announcement about the beta program.  Meanwhile - thank you for your patience.

Simon Orde
Calico Pie

Pedro S Inácio

Thanks for the update.
Any preliminary information about this languages option? Is German or Portuguese among them? :-)

Em seg, 15 de jun de 2020 às 13:24, Simon Orde <simon-fhu@...> escreveu:

[...]

Chris

Thanks Simon! I hope everyone understands what a huge job this is to make sure that everything works the way you expect it to.

Misteri2511@...

I started using FHv4 years ago but the project got shelved! Have just recently started getting back into it and am currently trialling v6.  Is v7 going to be so different that it's not worth continuing with V6?  I don't want to learn one way of doing things then it all changes!

David Potter

I don't think you should worry too much about version 7 being radically different. Spending time using version 6 will be well worth it.

Julia Vokes

Don’t worry about v7.0 just concentrate on the great v6.0. As a user of FH since v2.0 it doesn’t drastically change, it evolves which is totally different. After all as human beings we evolve through our lives and FH is no different in this respect.
I would suggest you get a full copy of v6.0 and be amazed at all the fantastic things it does

Regards
Julia

RussellR

Hi Misteri2511 - if you buy a copy of v6, the full version gives you a free upgrade to v7 whereas the upgrade v4 to v6 does not, so you would have the best of both options.

Linda Reinfeld

Awesome!! Sort dates!! Wonderful addition. It gives you the ability to create reports/online websites the way you want.....  thanks for including that feature

On Jun 16, 2020, at 7:03 AM, ridout77@... wrote:

Hi Misteri2511 - if you buy a copy of v6, the full version gives you a free upgrade to v7 whereas the upgrade v4 to v6 does not, so you would have the best of both options.

dave@...

OK, major admission of my ignorance - what's 'sort state's ?

Jane Taubman

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 06:30, <dave@...> wrote:
OK, major admission of my ignorance - what's 'sort state's ?

Sort Dates allow you to put a hidden date against a fact to push it into the correct place in a sequence. So for example you have 3 or 4 tales of someone's time in the army you know what order they happened in, but not the specific dates, you can put in sort dates to put them in the correct order.  In FH you have always been able to order the facts in the All tab for this,  but sort dates just make it easier.
--

dave@...

Many thanks Jane, that makes it clear.

Barbara Levergood

Two other advantages of having sort dates in FH:

1. I makes it much easier to import data from software that does support sort dates, The Master Genealogist and RootsMagic among them.
2. It enables the more seamless use of GedSite to produce HTML output.   https://www.gedsite.com/en/index.htm

Thank you, Calico Pie!!!!

Barbara

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 1:30:06 AM EDT, dave@... <dave@...> wrote:

OK, major admission of my ignorance - what's 'sort state's ?

Michael Pavesi

Simon, go slow, go sure.  I'd rather a good 7.0 than need 7.1.