Unmarried Status

liz_graydon

My father's parents never married and I have set the marriage status as "Never Married".  Unfortunately when I print a 3 generation Descendants chart it puts the word spouse under the photo that I have linked and it displays on the right of the report.  Also when I run an individual summary report for me grandmother it shows her as being married to the father of my father, which he isn't.  It does not show on the report that they never married.  I don't want the words spouse appearing under the photo on the descendants chart and neither do I want the wording of the "Marriage" section to be called marriage in the individual summary report or the word spouse to appear against the father even though it does report their status as "Never married".

This is an image showing the section from the individual summary report

Inline image

Is there any way I can modify this?

I am using version 6.2.7 of Historian on a windows 8.1 laptop.

Mike Tate

Regarding the word Spouse in the caption under the photo, that can be altered.

In your grandmother’s Property Box open the Media tab and Edit the Media photo.

In the unlabelled note box at the bottom, enter exactly the text you want in the caption.

e.g. Jane SMITH, 1900, age 50

Then tick the ‘Use Note as Caption’ option on the right.

You may also wish to make a similar change for your grandfather in case his photo appears in reports as a Spouse.

The word Spouse cannot be altered in FH v6.2.7 in the Individual Summary Report.

It might be possible in FH v7.0 by using its new Language Translation features.

The only option is to use Save Report As and edit the PDF or Word-processor version externally.

Mike Tate

liz_graydon

On Monday, 27 September 2021, 13:12:22 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Regarding the word Spouse in the caption under the photo, that can be altered.

In your grandmother’s Property Box open the Media tab and Edit the Media photo.

In the unlabelled note box at the bottom, enter exactly the text you want in the caption.

e.g. Jane SMITH, 1900, age 50

Then tick the ‘Use Note as Caption’ option on the right.

You may also wish to make a similar change for your grandfather in case his photo appears in reports as a Spouse.

The word Spouse cannot be altered in FH v6.2.7 in the Individual Summary Report.

It might be possible in FH v7.0 by using its new Language Translation features.

The only option is to use Save Report As and edit the PDF or Word-processor version externally.

Liz, a quick experiment seems to confirm that the FH v7.0 Language Pack feature can conditionally translate labels in Reports such as ‘Spouse’ into ‘Partner’.

That applies not only to heading labels on the left but also in the photo captions.

Mike Tate

Peter Rowley

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 at 14:31, liz_graydon via groups.io <liz_graydon=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
On Monday, 27 September 2021, 13:12:22 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Regarding the word Spouse in the caption under the photo, that can be altered.

In your grandmother’s Property Box open the Media tab and Edit the Media photo.

In the unlabelled note box at the bottom, enter exactly the text you want in the caption.

e.g. Jane SMITH, 1900, age 50

Then tick the ‘Use Note as Caption’ option on the right.

You may also wish to make a similar change for your grandfather in case his photo appears in reports as a Spouse.

The word Spouse cannot be altered in FH v6.2.7 in the Individual Summary Report.

It might be possible in FH v7.0 by using its new Language Translation features.

The only option is to use Save Report As and edit the PDF or Word-processor version externally.

Mike Tate

Deirdre Leigh

That’s really useful thanks Mike, i will give that a try with a rather ‘awkward’ ancestor (one husband, no children, 3 partners and lots!). Especially as all 4 men are currently shown as spouse meaning one ‘marriage’ was bigamous.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 at 14:41, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Liz, a quick experiment seems to confirm that the FH v7.0 Language Pack feature can conditionally translate labels in Reports such as ‘Spouse’ into ‘Partner’.

That applies not only to heading labels on the left but also in the photo captions.

I have attached my experimental Language Pack that you can Import.

It may not be the finished article but it gives you the concept.

liz_graydon

Thanks for experimenting.  I haven't plucked up courage to upgrade yet but your solution has worked well for both of my scenarios in v 6 and my updated printed sheets now display how I want them too.

On Monday, 27 September 2021, 14:41:44 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Liz, a quick experiment seems to confirm that the FH v7.0 Language Pack feature can conditionally translate labels in Reports such as ‘Spouse’ into ‘Partner’.

That applies not only to heading labels on the left but also in the photo captions.

Mike Tate

Deirdre Leigh

Thanks 😀

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 at 16:51, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

I have attached my experimental Language Pack that you can Import.

It may not be the finished article but it gives you the concept.

Mike Tate

There is an updated Language Pack to download and further advice in the FHUG Forum posting:

‘Language Pack can alter English Report labels’

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19841

Mike Tate

rsamoir@...

Why would you? Spouse really only indicates the parentage, which is correctly recorded. Marriage, in many records, requires a religious contract. “Common-law wife” was not uncommon!  Until the registration by affirmation was legalised.