Unlinked Projects

James Pam

Stupidly I reorganised my files and moved some fh folders to a different location. Not surprisingly there are are now no projects showing in the Project window.
I have FH7.  Please advise the best way of restoring my projects.
I think I need to click the blue 'my documents/family historian projects'. It then asks me whether I want to 'Choose location' or 'Reset location to installation.
default.'  Do I choose one of these? Is that the route back to sanity?
What files do I need to select? Is it just the gedcom file? If so is it 'Pam family.fh_proj or Pam family.fh_data which has a number of folders and a gedcom - Pam family.ged
I backup my projects to Onedrive and to my computer hard drive. Where should I be pointing my project window too?
Thank you in anticipation.

Mike Tate

James,

What worries me is you say you “moved some fh folders to a different location”.

If you have not moved them all together then it may not be possible to get FH to see your Projects at all.

In that case, you will have to move those some fh folders back where they came from or recover from your backups.

Yes, you click blue 'my documents/family historian projects' link and select ‘Choose Location’.

You must choose the ‘Family Historian Projects’ folder in its new location wherever you moved it to.

That folder must contain the ‘Pam family’ folder and that must contain the 'Pam family.fh_proj’ file and ‘Pam family.fh_data’ folder, which must hold the ‘Pam family.ged’ file and various folders including ‘Media’.

If any of those files and folders are not correctly organised then FH will not recognise your ‘Pam family’ project.

There is an example of the structure in the FHUG Knowledge Base in Understanding Projects.

Let this be a warning. Do NOT reorganise the ‘Family Historian Projects’ folder structure.

Mike Tate

James Pam

Thank you Mike. I now have my project back. Lesson learnt!! I had moved the sample project out of the FH project folder but moving it back solved that problem.

James

James Pam

Not sure I have resolved the problem. The project window now shows my project and the sample project but they appear to be gedcoms with the name of my project with the gedcom triangular sign at the start of the name. I can get into my project but 'current project' at the top says 'none'.
I don't think I have resolved this problem yet. Would it help if I started a thread on the fh user group forum and posted screen shots of my file structure?
Alternatively I do have backup zip files but  would need a step by step instruction as I am very anxious at making a bad situation worse.

James

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

James, you can post screenshots here if you’d rather keep the conversation in one place.

Not sure I have resolved the problem. The project window now shows my project and the sample project but they appear to be gedcoms with the name of my project with the gedcom triangular sign at the start of the name. I can get into my project but 'current project' at the top says 'none'.

I don't think I have resolved this problem yet. Would it help if I started a thread on the fh user group forum and posted screen shots of my file structure?

Alternatively I do have backup zip files but  would need a step by step instruction as I am very anxious at making a bad situation worse.

James

Mike Tate

Since I have no idea what you have moved, and I suspect you don’t really know either, then screenshots in the FHUG Forum would be easier to manage.

We need to see not just what is in your Family Historian Projects folder and all its sub-folders, but also the locations that you moved those folders to earlier.

That may require several postings as only 3 screenshots are allowed per posting.

Don’t collect them into say a Word Doc as that makes the screenshots too small to read clearly and the Word Doc too large to attach to the forum.

Did you review the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Understanding Projects’ that shows the structure of the Family Historian Sample Project?

Mike

Mike Tate

But you may have to wait some time between postings here as the admins must manually approve the attached images.

James, you can post screenshots here if you’d rather keep the conversation in one place.

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Mike, postings are getting approved much more quickly now; another admin may have been added.

But you may have to wait some time between postings here as the admins must manually approve the attached images.

James, you can post screenshots here if you’d rather keep the conversation in one place.

Mike Tate

That is good to know. Was it publicised anywhere that I missed?