UN-named child

Derek Heritage

How do folk enter the data for a child, born and died same quarter and not named?
Derek Heritage

John Hanson

Derek

“Unnamed HERITAGE” with the date as Q? yyyy

See you later

Regards

John Hanson FSG

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Heritage
Sent: 08 November 2022 12:09
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] UN-named child

How do folk enter the data for a child, born and died same quarter and not named?
Derek Heritage

Trevor Rix

Working in a diagram, I would drag down from a parent, Add Son (new record), change the sex to Unknown, not enter any name at all (or only the surname if appropriate), enter birth date Q? yyyy, enter birth place xxxxx registration district, enter death date Q? yyyy, enter death place xxxxx registration district,

Neil Grantham

Depending on the year, the GRO would possibly have the sex of the child as you can search on male and female.

Best Wishes

Neil.

------ Original Message ------
Sent: Tuesday, 8 Nov, 2022 At 12:34
Subject: Re: [family-historian] UN-named child

Working in a diagram, I would drag down from a parent, Add Son (new record), change the sex to Unknown, not enter any name at all (or only the surname if appropriate), enter birth date Q? yyyy, enter birth place xxxxx registration district, enter death date Q? yyyy, enter death place xxxxx registration district,

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

I enter as son/dau/child with SURNAME, sex as M/F/Unknown as appropriate with all Qdate and places for births and deaths.  If you later find the actual dates and name, the record can be updated.
I also add a fact Child Count and set the value as 0 (a zero).  This puts an underline under the record in any diagramme, so I visibly can see that there will be no descendants.
I also add boy of girl angel pictures (attached) as their media which then show up on the Focus page and other reports and diagrammes.

Mike Tate

Derek, are you saying you have found a GRO Birth Index and a GRO Death Index both for the same quarter but the informant has not given any sex or name for the child on either entry?

If so, how do you know they are for the same child?

As others have said, create an Individual with Sex: Unknown and Name: [Unknown] /Surname/ where Surname is the parents’ surname, and enter a Birth event and a Death event with the same Quarter Date.

You can also set the Death Age: as Child

uhkh3tsccmz9@beconfidential.com

Is there any agreement about the difference (for death age purposes) between:
  • Infant
  • Child

I thought I was clear until I found contradictory - or is that overlapping - definitions in my right click goto dictionary: Dictionary.com

child

noun, plural chil·dren
  • a person between birth and puberty or full growth: books for children.
  • a son or daughter: All my children are married.
  • a baby or infant: A child of six months can recognize family members.

infant

noun
  • a child during the earliest period of its life, especially before he or she can walk; baby.
  • Law. a person who is not of full age, especially one who has not reached the age of 18 years; a minor.
  • a beginner, as in experience or learning; novice: The new candidate is a political infant.
  • anything in the first stage of existence or progress.

Richard Scantlebury

I think Derek is referring to a scenario to something like this :-

In this case the birth is shown on the GRO website but the death isn’t.

I usually show the child as unnamed as most likely it’s a stillbirth or only lived for only hours or a couple of days.

Best wishes and Kind regards

Rich Scantlebury

In global pursuit of Scantleburys & Skentelberys for a one name study - 3209

http://scantlebury.one-name.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richscats/

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of uhkh3tsccmz9@...
Sent: Tuesday, 8 November 2022 15:21

• Infant
  • Child

I thought I was clear until I found contradictory - or is that overlapping - definitions in my right click goto dictionary: Dictionary.com

child

noun, plural chil·dren

infant

noun

• a child during the earliest period of its life, especially before he or she can walk; baby.
  • Law. a person who is not of full age, especially one who has not reached the age of 18 years; a minor.
  • a beginner, as in experience or learning; novice: The new candidate is a political infant.

Nicola Byrnes

I was confused when I came across a death registered for an unnamed newborn boy before the birth was registered with a name - definitely the same child.

Nicola Byrnes

On 8 Nov 2022, at 15:48, Richard Scantlebury via groups.io <richard.scantlebury@...> wrote:

I think Derek is referring to a scenario to something like this :-

<image001.png>
In this case the birth is shown on the GRO website but the death isn’t.
I usually show the child as unnamed as most likely it’s a stillbirth or only lived for only hours or a couple of days.

Best wishes and Kind regards
Rich Scantlebury
 In global pursuit of Scantleburys & Skentelberys for a one name study - 3209

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of uhkh3tsccmz9@...
Sent: Tuesday, 8 November 2022 15:21
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] UN-named child

• Infant
  • Child

I thought I was clear until I found contradictory - or is that overlapping - definitions in my right click goto dictionary: Dictionary.com

child

noun, plural chil·dren
  • a person between birth and puberty or full growth: books for children.
  • a son or daughter: All my children are married.
  • a baby or infant: A child of six months can recognize family members.

infant

noun
  • a beginner, as in experience or learning; novice: The new candidate is a political infant.

Mike Tate

Since FH is using GEDCOM then its definition should be applied:

CHILD = age < 8 years

INFANT = age < 1 year

STILLBORN = died just prior, at, or near birth, 0 years

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of uhkh3tsccmz9@...
Sent: 08 November 2022 15:21

• Infant
  • Child

child

noun, plural chil·dren

infant

noun

Beverly Smallwood

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 10:18 AM, Mike Tate wrote:

Since FH is using GEDCOM then its definition should be applied:

CHILD = age < 8 years

INFANT = age < 1 year

STILLBORN = died just prior, at, or near birth, 0 years

Following this with interest.  I often find stillbirths in my Swedish records and wonder about recording them.  In TMG you would enter a single birth entry that is designated as stillbirth.  In RootsMagic, and I presume FH, you would enter the same information as both birth and death, and then "stillborn Andersson" for a name?

I like the idea from Paul earlier for recording a Child Count fact for purpose of tracking on charts.  That's awesome.

I'm presuming I can indicate the stillbirth in the birth entry and suppress printing the death entry with {blank} in the sentence.  Does anyone have a genius solution?

Bev

Lorna Craig

Bev,

Although it seems odd to record an 'age at birth' and the age field looks as if it is greyed out, you will find that if you hover the mouse over the Age field and click the small box with 3 dots which appears at the right hand end of the field, you will open the Age Entry Assistant.  There you will see that one of the options you can choose is 'Stillborn'.

You can also edit the narrative sentence for the birth so that it reads: He (or she) was stillborn.... instead of He (or she) was born...."

On 08/11/2022 18:34, Beverly Smallwood wrote:
......I'm presuming I can indicate the stillbirth in the birth entry and suppress printing the death entry with {blank} in the sentence.  Does anyone have a genius solution?

Bev

Derek Heritage

Thanks everyone. I did know the sex of the child. Just missed it out. It was how folk would deal with  the missing forename.
The answer given by John Hanson was how I had in fact treated it, just needed confirmation that was the way.
Derek Heritage