Tree disappearance

shelmerdine78@...

Hi,
I am new to FH, have imported my family tree, all OK. However I have begun a new tree as a gift for my daughter-in-law & this tree is no longer listed under projects, where has it gone?. Can anyone help?
Regards
Chris

Mike Tate

Hi Chris,

Presumably, when you imported that family tree, you used File > Project Window > New Project… and ‘Import a GEDCOM file’.

Did you use a similar technique to create the new gift tree via New Project… but chose ‘Start a new project’?

Those are the only ways of creating a Project.

Alternatively, maybe by a ‘new tree’ you mean a Chart Diagram tree based on the imported family tree.

They won’t be listed in the Project Window and must be saved using Diagram > Save Diagram and retrieved using Charts > Saved Charts…

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of shelmerdine78@...
Sent: 01 March 2021 05:59
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Tree disappearance

Hi,
I am new to FH, have imported my family tree, all OK. However I have begun a new tree as a gift for my daughter-in-law & this tree is no longer listed under projects, where has it gone?. Can anyone help?
Regards
Chris

shelmerdine78@...

Hi Mike,
Thanks your reply, I am pretty sure I started the new tree via "Start a new project", perhaps if I forgot to save it?
Regards
Chris

Mike Tate

Hi Chris,

It is not easy to avoid saving a Project because FH pops up a message to say it needs saving.

Please confirm what is listed in File > Project Window…

It should list your imported family tree, the new ‘gift’ tree, and probably the Family Historian Sample Project.

You should be able to open whichever one you select.

Mike

shelmerdine78@...

Hi Mike,
That’s the problem, It has disappeared from the project window, which now only shows the imported tree & the sample project. I have recently upgraded to FH7, could that have any bearing? Regardless, there were only a few names so it won’t be too much trouble to start again from scratch. Thanks for your assistance.
Regards
Chris

Mike Tate

Chris,

I had to ask to double-check, because I cannot see what you can see.

Upgrading to FH V7 should not cause Projects to vanish.

Sorry you are having to start over.

Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of shelmerdine78@...
Sent: 07 March 2021 12:13
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Tree disappearance

Hi Mike,
That’s the problem, It has disappeared from the project window, which now only shows the imported tree & the sample project. I have recently upgraded to FH7, could that have any bearing? Regardless, there were only a few names so it won’t be too much trouble to start again from scratch. Thanks for your assistance.
Regards
Chris