Transferring Settings

Sue Paul

I think I know that the answer to this question but I am asking is hope that I am wrong.

Just before Christmas, I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11. It worked well for a couple of days but, then, an update failed part way through and it has proved impossible [with extensive help from Microsoft] to do anything but reinstall Windows 11. I can get the laptop into Safe Mode but without any network access and limited functionality.

My issues reinstalling Windows 11 are not relevant here. It is sufficient to say that prior to getting that done, I have set up FH on a new laptop also running Windows 11 and Family Historian 7.

I do a full backup of FH everytime I make any changes and back up all my data weekly. I have been able to do an additional backup of my data from Safe Mode so I have lost no data. What I cannot save and transfer are my settings.

I suspect that I will need to do these manually but reading past posts I have seen the suggestion that I could, perhaps, copy the Program Data Files from one laptop to the other.

Is that possible from Safe Mode and, if so, would it be advisable.?

Kind regards,

Sue

Mike Tate

Yes, you could copy the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder but that won’t include everything such as the Windows Registry settings.

This topic is discussed regularly here and in the FHUG Forums.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Under ‘Copying Program Settings’ it recommends using the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin.

Sue Paul

Mike

In the end I tried copying the program files but that did not do what I wanted and I have made the changes again. However, for the future I should like to understand better.

I am not stupid or computer illiterate [I start as a COBOL programmer in 1979] and have a hard copy of the user guide for FH v5 but still do not find FH setting intuitive. I need to get the manual out to remind me of the names of the panes. I really appreciate how FH works but must have some sort of mental block about part of it.

The only changes I make to FH is the look and feel [my aged eyes need more help these days] and what data I show on each pane [especially the user generated fields]. What do I need to save to restore these changes when I restore and/or upgrade FH, please?

There are a few things [all connected with aged eyes] that changed with version 7 that I have been unable to change and should like to know if it can be done. I find the taskbar down the left-hand side really difficult to use. Similarly the icons at the top right-hand side of the Property Box and the icons on the media edit pop-up. It is frustrating to keep missing the icon I want. On version 6 these were all much larger.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 at 10:02, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Yes, you could copy the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder but that won’t include everything such as the Windows Registry settings.

This topic is discussed regularly here and in the FHUG Forums.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Under ‘Copying Program Settings’ it recommends using the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin.

Mike Tate

No, do NOT copy the C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\ folder. I never mentioned that.

If you have copied that into the same folder on the other PC then that may have upset FH.

I strongly suggest you re-install FH on that other PC.

The folder I said to copy is very different but does NOT include all settings:

C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\

It may be hidden as explained in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Program Data Folder’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-program-data-folder/

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Under ‘Copying Program Settings’ it recommends using the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin.

If you migrate the settings as explained above then the FH v7 display should be very similar to FH v6.

However, if you need specific advice for specific displays then please start a new posting and ask for those detailed settings.