To Do List reports


Tom Gray
 

Back in 2017 with a great deal of help and advice from Mike Tate in particular, I managed to create a To Do function.

 

Since upgrading to V7 my To Do List function has changed.

 

In the Property Box under the Fact tab there was a To Do option. The To Do option in the Fact tab of the Property Box no longer appears. It still shows in older records I have created it but not in new ones I am creating. Is there a way to get it back?

 

Under Custom Queries I could run a To Do Tasks for each of the individual events involved (Birth, Marriage, Death or Census) or a To Do List that contained all of them. I got them under Custom Queries and selected either To Do List or To do Tasks and the respective report was shown.

It now seems to be much more complicated (for me) to achieve the same thing.

 

I now find If I go View>Publish>Custom Reports I get two further options.

a) To Do List which gives all the to do items for the individual record currently shown in the Property Box.

b) To Do Tasks for the individual record currently shown in the Property Box with a drop down selection showing other individuals and an option to browse for others. I do not think this option was in V6 or if so I never noticed it.

 

If I go View>Query>All Custom Reports and click on it I get a pop up box showing To Do List and To Do Tasks. Whichever one I highlight I have the option to Run, View, Delete or Close.

Run does as it says and produces the report selected, either all B,M,D or C or the individual item selected.

View opens the set up page for the query (Custom) selected with tabs General, Columns, Rows, Result Set.

I presume this would allow the query to be amended?

 

If I go View>Query there is also an option shown as follows <New/ungrouped queries> Clicking on this gives the options To Do List which if selected produces the all B, M, D or Census report. Selecting the To Do Tasks gives a pop up to select which single item is required and the produces it.

 

Is there a way to simplify the above?  

If I can find them, could the settings used in V6 to set this up be used in V7?

 

Regards

 

Tom Gray


Mike Tate
 

Hi Tom,

Fundamentally, you are suffering the teething problems of any major software upgrade.

Many current users have not faced these issues as the FH V5 to V6 upgrade happened 6 years ago.

 

Regarding the Property Box, are you talking about the Facts tab +Add Fact button not listing To Do?

You can still add To Do facts via the More Fact Types… option.

Once you find the To Do Attribute there, click More>> then Edit… and tick Fast-Add Menu.

 

The View menu is now the long way to open Reports and Queries.

Use the Publish and Query icons on the toolbar instead.

 

Those Custom Reports were present in FH V6 and not magically invented by FH V7.

 

Initially, all Custom Queries are listed together just as they were in FH V6.

When you go to choose Queries you will see there are 8 group categories to help you find a Query.

After selecting a To Do query and choosing View ensure the General tab is open.

At the bottom, you can assign the query to up to three existing groups or <Add New…> group.

For advice, hit the F1 keyboard button, go to The General Tab and the groups are explained.

 

There is a lot for you to discover about FH V7…

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Gray via groups.io
Sent: 30 January 2021 15:53
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] To Do List reports

 

Back in 2017 with a great deal of help and advice from Mike Tate in particular, I managed to create a To Do function.

 

Since upgrading to V7 my To Do List function has changed.

 

In the Property Box under the Fact tab there was a To Do option. The To Do option in the Fact tab of the Property Box no longer appears. It still shows in older records I have created it but not in new ones I am creating. Is there a way to get it back?

 

Under Custom Queries I could run a To Do Tasks for each of the individual events involved (Birth, Marriage, Death or Census) or a To Do List that contained all of them. I got them under Custom Queries and selected either To Do List or To do Tasks and the respective report was shown.

It now seems to be much more complicated (for me) to achieve the same thing.

 

I now find If I go View>Publish>Custom Reports I get two further options.

a) To Do List which gives all the to do items for the individual record currently shown in the Property Box.

b) To Do Tasks for the individual record currently shown in the Property Box with a drop down selection showing other individuals and an option to browse for others. I do not think this option was in V6 or if so I never noticed it.

 

If I go View>Query>All Custom Reports and click on it I get a pop up box showing To Do List and To Do Tasks. Whichever one I highlight I have the option to Run, View, Delete or Close.

Run does as it says and produces the report selected, either all B,M,D or C or the individual item selected.

View opens the set up page for the query (Custom) selected with tabs General, Columns, Rows, Result Set.

I presume this would allow the query to be amended?

 

If I go View>Query there is also an option shown as follows <New/ungrouped queries> Clicking on this gives the options To Do List which if selected produces the all B, M, D or Census report. Selecting the To Do Tasks gives a pop up to select which single item is required and the produces it.

 

Is there a way to simplify the above? 

If I can find them, could the settings used in V6 to set this up be used in V7?

 

Regards

 

Tom Gray


Geoff Johnson
 

I set up To Do lists some time ago, but thought it was in V7: perhaps it was V6 though.
I've now got quite a few To Do's entered but cannot find how to get a list of them.
I feel certain that when I set this feature up I could.  What's this idiot missing please? 
Geoff Johnson


Mike Tate
 

Geoff,

See the FHUG Knowledge Base “To Do Lists”:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download/to-do-lists-9/

 

That has installation downloads for Queries, Reports, etc.

Can you find those features in your Project?

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geoff Johnson
Sent: 16 June 2022 17:14
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] To Do List reports

 

I set up To Do lists some time ago, but thought it was in V7: perhaps it was V6 though.
I've now got quite a few To Do's entered but cannot find how to get a list of them.
I feel certain that when I set this feature up I could.  What's this idiot missing please? 
Geoff Johnson


Geoff Johnson
 

Every Individual has a To Do tab in the Data Pane Mike.  Only under View > Publish are there references to various `Reports'.
The FHUG To Do List's subtitle suggests `FH versions: V4, V5, and V6'.
But the instructions suggest `FHPBT for V5 or later'.  Shall I just run that and see what happens?
Before I do I'd really like to list or see the To-Do's I've already created.  There aren't may, but they could be important!
For the record I am on V7.0.11
Geoff 


Mike Tate
 

Geoff,

If your Property Box already has the ‘To Do’ tab then you don’t need the To Do Property Box Tab FHPBT file.

 

The Individual To Do List Report FHR file will install a custom Report.

But have you checked the Publish > Custom Reports for an ‘Individual To Do List’ report?

 

The To Do List Query FHQ file will install a custom Query.

But have you checked the Query > All Custom Queries… for any ‘To Do …’ queries?

 

They all seem to work OK in FH V7 and it is simply that the FHUG KB has not been updated yet to reflect that.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geoff Johnson
Sent: 17 June 2022 12:27
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] To Do List reports

 

Every Individual has a To Do tab in the Data Pane Mike.  Only under View > Publish are there references to various `Reports'.
The FHUG To Do List's subtitle suggests `FH versions: V4, V5, and V6'.
But the instructions suggest `FHPBT for V5 or later'.  Shall I just run that and see what happens?
Before I do I'd really like to list or see the To-Do's I've already created.  There aren't may, but they could be important!
For the record I am on V7.0.11
Geoff 


Geoff Johnson
 

Thanks Mike, but I think I'm misunderstanding how this whole concept of To Do lists needs to be used and managed.  Publish > Custom Reports, gives me just <Empty>  and Delete Custom Report.
However if I click on Query > All Custom Queries I get Age at Death and Family; nice features which I'd installed some time ago.
I tried to Add a New Custom Query calling it `To Do List', and it now shows up under All Custom Queries.
The truth is I cannot get my head round what needs to be added to that Custom Query to make it useful!

I did a bit of rethinking here and entered a to-do task for myself into an individual's To Do tab area.  But I find it doesn't stay there; it disappears, re- appearing under Notes as a `Custom Attribute'.
Re-reading the FHUG KB article on To-Do List Attribute, I'm beginning to realise that this facility is designed to be far more complicate than I'd hoped
 
I'm realising that what I and several of my Club members were expecting from To Do's in FH was a simple way of adding an `in your face' note that you can call-up and action as time and research location allows.
Shall I just create a specific To Do page list in my OneNote program?
Geoff


colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

named Lists and/or Notes (as described in articles in Research Planning and Tracking within FH – Family Historian User Group (fhug.org.uk) might give you a solution that suits you better?


Mike Tate
 

OK, if you don’t have the custom Report or the custom Query then presumably you never installed them.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base “To Do Lists” page:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download/to-do-lists-9/

 

Click on the ‘Individual To Do List Report FHR file’ link and follow the instructions to install the custom Report.

 

Click on the ‘To Do List Query FHQ file’ link and follow the instructions to install the custom Query.

 

In the Property Box ‘To Do’ tab, enter any text in the large box headed ‘New paragraph for each Task.’

Initially, yes, that will create a ‘To Do’ attribute on the ‘Facts’ tab.

Thereafter, editing the ‘To Do’ tab box, or the ‘Note’ box of the ‘To Do’ attribute, will update the things To Do.

i.e. It is like a To Do memo of tasks to undertake.

Each task must start with a label: such as Birth:, Baptism:, Census:, Marriage:, Death:

Note that the ‘To Do List’ Query will need adapting to recognise any new labels you wish to use.

 

However, if you wish to use OneNote instead then that is fine.

 

Mike Tate

 


Vyger
 

Geoff,


"I'm realising that what I and several of my Club members were expecting from To Do's in FH was a simple way of adding an `in your face' note that you can call-up and action as time and research location allows."

I view this feature as in its infancy and the visibility of Tasks through natural work flow is very poor imo. I have already fed back similar observations to CP and intend to do so again as I do not find this as useful or intuitive as other software.

There are many experts on here who know FH to the deepest level but that is not the point. Software should work intuitively with the user and I shouldn't need to dig up the whole garden to find a ring I dropped by the door.

Discussion is one aspect of support but if something is not working as expected I would speak to the organ grinder and explain through a support ticket.

Jackson

On Sat, 18 Jun 2022, 17:21 Geoff Johnson, <geoff@...> wrote:
Thanks Mike, but I think I'm misunderstanding how this whole concept of To Do lists needs to be used and managed.  Publish > Custom Reports, gives me just <Empty>  and Delete Custom Report.
However if I click on Query > All Custom Queries I get Age at Death and Family; nice features which I'd installed some time ago.
I tried to Add a New Custom Query calling it `To Do List', and it now shows up under All Custom Queries.
The truth is I cannot get my head round what needs to be added to that Custom Query to make it useful!

I did a bit of rethinking here and entered a to-do task for myself into an individual's To Do tab area.  But I find it doesn't stay there; it disappears, re- appearing under Notes as a `Custom Attribute'.
Re-reading the FHUG KB article on To-Do List Attribute, I'm beginning to realise that this facility is designed to be far more complicate than I'd hoped
 
I'm realising that what I and several of my Club members were expecting from To Do's in FH was a simple way of adding an `in your face' note that you can call-up and action as time and research location allows.
Shall I just create a specific To Do page list in my OneNote program?
Geoff


colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 06:42 PM, Vyger wrote:
I view this feature as in its infancy and the visibility of Tasks through natural work flow is very poor imo
I suspect you're referring to the Research Note facility in V7, and not the To-Do list attribute that was one way in V6 of implementing a list of research tasks, which is what Geoff is referring to.


Vyger
 

Quite possibly, I didn't use Todos in V6 but regardless it would seem to be confusing Geoff and not delivering on his expectations. And Yes is my answer to finding the new v7 Research Notes confusing and falling short of my personal expectations.

Software should be intuitive and meet natural user expectations with minimal learning and effort.

Thanks for the clarification, I still have lots to learn.

Jackson

On Sat, 18 Jun 2022, 19:02 colevalleygirl@..., <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 06:42 PM, Vyger wrote:
I view this feature as in its infancy and the visibility of Tasks through natural work flow is very poor imo
I suspect you're referring to the Research Note facility in V7, and not the To-Do list attribute that was one way in V6 of implementing a list of research tasks, which is what Geoff is referring to.


colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

I’m not a fan of the To-Do list attribute in V6, but am interested in what you find confusing about Research Notes?  I wrote a whole plugin to do the same job in V6 (and have yet to decide if/how to migrate it to V7).

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 18 June 2022 19:31
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] To Do List reports

 

Quite possibly, I didn't use Todos in V6 but regardless it would seem to be confusing Geoff and not delivering on his expectations. And Yes is my answer to finding the new v7 Research Notes confusing and falling short of my personal expectations.

 

Software should be intuitive and meet natural user expectations with minimal learning and effort.

 

Thanks for the clarification, I still have lots to learn.

 

Jackson


Vyger
 

Helen,

It's mostly about visibility and I intend to make a private video presentation on the snags I am seeing in logical workflow.

Can't do much at present but I can PM you the link on FB once available if you wish?

I have lots of logs from previous software and embraced integrated research planning early but it must be obvious as one works their data, bit like the post it note on a manila folder.

Jackson


On Sat, 18 Jun 2022, 20:23 colevalleygirl@..., <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

I’m not a fan of the To-Do list attribute in V6, but am interested in what you find confusing about Research Notes?  I wrote a whole plugin to do the same job in V6 (and have yet to decide if/how to migrate it to V7).

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 18 June 2022 19:31
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] To Do List reports

 

Quite possibly, I didn't use Todos in V6 but regardless it would seem to be confusing Geoff and not delivering on his expectations. And Yes is my answer to finding the new v7 Research Notes confusing and falling short of my personal expectations.

 

Software should be intuitive and meet natural user expectations with minimal learning and effort.

 

Thanks for the clarification, I still have lots to learn.

 

Jackson


colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

Please pm me the link when it's ready -  thanks