TMG Import and Log File Question

tami@...

I’ve done a direct import from TMG, and as expected it created a log file with conversion information.  I know how to view the log file from within FH, but I cannot figure out a way to print it or save it.  I want to do that so I can keep it open while checking out the data in FH.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tami Bunkers-Dolan

Mike Tate

Tami,

If you open the log file via Windows > Log Files then it is displayed in a separate Windows ‘Notepad’ application window.

That is completely independent of the FH windows.

If you wish you can use the Notepad window File > Save As… or File > Print… commands but should not be necessary.

BTW: Did you see the FHUG Knowledge Base advice on direct import from TMG?

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/importing-to-family-historian/

John Hanson

Mike

Whilst the KB article is helpful and says that it works with FH7 – and it does

The import guide section still says v6.2.7 – Has that text been updated with all the changes that were made for FH7?

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 11 April 2021 10:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] TMG Import and Log File Question

Tami,

If you open the log file via Windows > Log Files then it is displayed in a separate Windows ‘Notepad’ application window.

That is completely independent of the FH windows.

If you wish you can use the Notepad window File > Save As… or File > Print… commands but should not be necessary.

BTW: Did you see the FHUG Knowledge Base advice on direct import from TMG?

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/importing-to-family-historian/

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

John, short answer: No. We are dependent on somebody familiar with the process for V7 to update the article, or at least provide the relevant information.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Hanson
Sent: 11 April 2021 11:19
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] TMG Import and Log File Question

Mike

Whilst the KB article is helpful and says that it works with FH7 – and it does

The import guide section still says v6.2.7 – Has that text been updated with all the changes that were made for FH7?

tami@...

Mike,

The file has an “ftf” extension, so it defaults to opening with FH.  Nevertheless, unfortunately, when I try to view the file through notepad, or any other editor, it’s difficult to read the file.  I’ve pasted a view of the lines below.

---------------------------------------------

Import from TMG, April 10, 2021

<fs="+4">TMG 'Local Sentences' converted to FH 'Sentence Overrides'</fs>

<i>See also "Fact/Witness Sentences" (accessible from the 'Work with Data' submenu of the Tools menu).</i>

<table="1295|1235|1415|1355|1850|7355|8930">

<row> <b>Record | Rec. Type | Fact | Fact Type | Role | TMG Local Sentence | FH Sentence Override</b> </row>

<row> I82 | Individual | Emigration | Event | Principal 2 | [P] \<\|and [PO]\> emigrated \<along with [WO] \>\<[D]\> \<from [L]\>.  [PF] [M1]. | {individual} \<and {%CUR_PRIN2%}\> emigrated \<along with [WO] \> {date} \<from {place}\>.  {%CUR_PRIN.NAME:FIRST%} {=Section(%FACT.NOTE2%,1,"\|\|")}. </row>

<row> I82 | Individual | Milit-Enl | Event | Principal 2 | [P] enlisted in the military [M] \<[D]\> \<[L]\> | {individual} enlisted in the military {note} {date} {place} </row>

<row> I720 | Individual | Note | Event | Principal 2 | [D] [P] \<\|and [PO]\> [M]  \<[L]\> | {date} {individual} \<and {%CUR_PRIN2%}\> {note}  {place} </row>

<row> I720 | Individual | Note | Event | Witness | [D], [P1] [M] | {date}, {%CUR_PRIN%} {note} </row>

<row> I720 | Individual | Note | Event | Witness | [D], [P1] [M] | {date}, {%CUR_PRIN%} {note} </row>

---------------------------------------------

There are formatting commands in the file, which make it hard to read outside of FH.

Yes, I ‘ve seen the Knowledge Base article,  I have not worked through it yet, as reviewing the log was the first thing I was trying to do.  It’s also hard to know which of the items in the article are still applicable with the newer version of FH.

Thanks

Tami Bunkers-Dolan

Mike Tate

Ah! That is a new TMG Log File that I've not seen before and as you say cannot be left open while you review its contents via other FH commands.
The best I can suggest is that you expand the Log File window as much as possible and take a screenshot with Snip & Sketch one page at a time.
It seems that this an area that could be improved with a Save or Print option or making ot a non-modal floating window.
Unless anyone else has any ideas?