Strange Project has appeared?

johnfirr@...

Something odd happened to my installation of FH when I opened it today.
I noticed an extra project had appeared with a date of 1971!

My default project is called FIRR Database Master last backed up this morning 08/05/20201 at 07.39.

Now when I open FH this afternoon a project has appeared that I know nothing about:

FIRR Database Master (1) (Folder: FIRR Database Master) last updated 01/01/1971 at 00.00

If to open it it says "file not found" but if I go to delete it it warns me it has 1950 records in it.

Any ideas what is going on and can I safely hit delete without affecting my main file?
regards
John

Helena Coney

I had that happen to me in the past, (V6) and was part of the reason I moved to another programme as it was always happening (although I am now back to V7 and not had the problem since).  I think it is something to do with anti virus software?

I think I opened the file up as a Gedcom from where its stored on your computer

Helena

The bladon family history study

Registered with the Guild of One-Name Studies

bladonfamilyhistory.wordpress.com

Something odd happened to my installation of FH when I opened it today.
I noticed an extra project had appeared with a date of 1971!

My default project is called FIRR Database Master last backed up this morning 08/05/20201 at 07.39.

Now when I open FH this afternoon a project has appeared that I know nothing about:

FIRR Database Master (1) (Folder: FIRR Database Master) last updated 01/01/1971 at 00.00

If to open it it says "file not found" but if I go to delete it it warns me it has 1950 records in it.

Any ideas what is going on and can I safely hit delete without affecting my main file?
regards
John

Mike Tate

John,

Those symptoms indicate a corruption of a file in your master Project. It is NOT an extra Project.

The clues are:

The default Last Updated date-time of 01/01/1971 00:00 is what FH displays when it cannot find a date.

The multiple filename suffix (1) for a file in your standard FIRR Database Master folder.

Use Windows File Explorer and check the contents of your …\Family Historian Projects\FIRR Database Master\ folder.

Is there a rogue FIRR Database Master (1).fh_proj Family Historian Project File?

Check the …\FIRR Database Master.fh_data\ subfolder for a rogue FIRR Database Master (1).ged Gedcom File.

Can you think of any explanation of where those rogue files might have come from?

Move them to somewhere like your Desktop or rename them and check to see if your master Project is all well and good and fully up-to-date.

If so then they can be deleted.

Mike Tate

Something odd happened to my installation of FH when I opened it today.
I noticed an extra project had appeared with a date of 1971!

My default project is called FIRR Database Master last backed up this morning 08/05/20201 at 07.39.

Now when I open FH this afternoon a project has appeared that I know nothing about:

FIRR Database Master (1) (Folder: FIRR Database Master) last updated 01/01/1971 at 00.00

If to open it it says "file not found" but if I go to delete it it warns me it has 1950 records in it.

Any ideas what is going on and can I safely hit delete without affecting my main file?
regards
John

johnfirr@...

Hi Helena,
looks like you are right.it seems to have picked up a standalone GEDCOM that I created in March of this year. I dont understand why it should randomly appear in my FH startup project listing some two months later, I use FH pretty much every day and its never appeared before. I also dont understand why it got a 1971 date on. But at least I now know what it is and how to get rid of it!
Thanks
John

johnfirr@...

Hi Mike,
apologies just saw your reply. I will follow your instructions and see where it gets me,
thanks
John

johnfirr@...

Hi Mike,
yes there was a stray gedcom in there which I have moved out and all seems well now. Dont know quite how it got there to be honest.
It all seems well but I just wanted to doublecheck.
I opened the correct project, checked it out and added a test person and saved.
now if I open the folder:
Family Historian projects/ FIRR Database Master/ FIRR Database Master,fh_data
there are a number of folders and then two files:
FIRR Database Master 22/03/2021 09.15 Family Historian project File 1KB
FIRR Database Master 08/05/2021 14:04 Gedcom File  1579 KB

Does this look like the correct structure?

thanks
John

Mike Tate

No,

In that …/Family Historian Projects/FIRR Database Master/FIRR Database Master.fh_data subfolder:

There was the rogue FIRR Database Master (1).ged Gedcom File

There is also a rogue FIRR Database Master.fh_proj Family Historian Project File

The FIRR Database Master.fh_proj Family Historian Project File must only exist in the parent folder …/Family Historian Projects/FIRR Database Master

So something has copied the FH Project File into the subfolder.

Also, something has duplicated the Gedcom File but is it a copy of the genuine Gedcom File?

What is the size of the rogue Gedcom File compared to the size of the genuine Gedcom File?

When similar symptoms have happened before the rogue file is sometimes virtually empty.

It may be worth reporting the symptoms to Calico Pie as they have arisen a few times.

Mike

yes there was a stray gedcom in there which I have moved out and all seems well now. Dont know quite how it got there to be honest.
It all seems well but I just wanted to doublecheck.
I opened the correct project, checked it out and added a test person and saved.
now if I open the folder:
Family Historian projects/ FIRR Database Master/ FIRR Database Master,fh_data
there are a number of folders and then two files:
FIRR Database Master 22/03/2021 09.15 Family Historian project File 1KB
FIRR Database Master 08/05/2021 14:04 Gedcom File  1579 KB

Does this look like the correct structure?

thanks
John

johnfirr@...

Thanks Mike thats really useful.

Ok I can see that there is a FIRR Database master file in the correct folder with the correct date and this is the one that the programme is now picking up ( its only 1KB?)
In the subfolder I have the rogue file - now being ignored but with a 22/03 date on it so presumably it was created sometime ago.

The rogue gedcom has todays date so im guessing that it is a result of my cackhanded messing today.

All is well now and I know which are the rogues and can be got rid off thanks to your advice but I will report to Calico Pie as you suggest.

regards
John Firr

Mike Tate

To get a better idea of dates. Right-click the file, choose Properties and it gives three dates: Created, Modified & Accessed.

Did you check the size of the real and rogue Gedcom Files as requested?

What did you discover?

Don’t get rid of the rogues as CP may need them.

Ok I can see that there is a FIRR Database master file in the correct folder with the correct date and this is the one that the programme is now picking up ( its only 1KB?)
In the subfolder I have the rogue file - now being ignored but with a 22/03 date on it so presumably it was created sometime ago.

The rogue gedcom has todays date so im guessing that it is a result of my cackhanded messing today.

All is well now and I know which are the rogues and can be got rid off thanks to your advice but I will report to Calico Pie as you suggest.

regards
John Firr

johnfirr@...

Hi again Mike,
apologies I am not particularly techie but will try to explain.
I do not have two gedcom files ( only one) but I have two project files.

They are all called FIRR Database master.

In the correct project folder I now have:
FIRR Databse Master project File - created 17 Feb 21 Modified 08 May 21 accessed 08 May 21 size 1kb

In the sub-folder ( where there should be none as I understand) I currently have:
FIRR database master project file - created 17 Feb 21 ( properties offered no other dates for this file) size 1kb
FIRR database master gedcom file - createde17 Feb 21, modified 08 May 21 and accessed 08 May 21 size 1579kb

I am assuming that although the programme is now working fine and is clearly picking up the main folder project file, the two files in the sub folder should be taken away and stored elsewhere?

sorry if that is still not clear but whatever the issue was it now seems fine and its never happened before,
john

Mike Tate

No, No, No.

There are two different file types but both with the same filename ‘FIRR Database Master’:

  1. Family Historian Project File whose icon has blue, red & yellow linked rectangles.
  2. Gedcom File whose icon has three green linked rectangles.

1) Family Historian Project File should only exist in the …\FIRR Database Master\ folder.

This is a tiny file that just holds a few settings but is essential for correct Project operation.

2) Gedcom File should only exist in the\FIRR Database Master\FIRR Database Master.fh_data\ folder.

This holds ALL YOUR PROJECT DATA and is quite large. Do NOT discard it or your Project is gone!

You said there was a stray Gedcom File there which you moved out.

It would have a slightly different filename ‘FIRR Database Master (1)’ with a suffix.

How does this Gedcom File that you moved compare in size with the real Gedcom File above?

[...]

Great Mike,
got that and wont delete anything without being absolutely clear.
Well I appear to have a duplicate project file sitting in the subfolder but not causing a problem.
The Gedcom which I removed to my desktop and renamed just as FIRR Gedcom 1 has a very odd set of dates:
Created 07 May 2021
Modified 21 March 2021
Accessed 08 May 2021
it is 1 480, 247 bytes

The Gedcom which I am clear now should be kept is as previously stated:
FIRR database master gedcom file - createde17 Feb 21, modified 08 May 21 and accessed 08 May 21 size 1579kb

Sorry if I am getting tied in knots here and as I say it does seem to be fine now.
Appreciate your hanging in there.
regards
John Firr

Mike Tate

Move the duplicate FH Project File sitting in the subfolder to the Desktop alongside the Gedcom File you moved earlier.

That Gedcom File dates from 21 March 2021 and is significantly smaller than your genuine Gedcom File.

The rogue Gedcom File has 7 & 8 May 2021 dates due to the recent strange symptoms that we cannot explain.

i.e. It got created in error yesterday somehow.

The rogue FH Project File has 17 Feb 2021 dates and not modified or accessed later.

These two files may be needed by CP.

Mike

johnfirr@...

Thanks for your help and patience Mike.