Splitting Trees

christineashby2004@...

Hi, I'm a new user of FH and a new member here so advanced apologies if my question seems strange.

I had a big all-family tree that I have now split into several smaller trees.  It felt more manageable that way.  Not sure if I did it the right way but it seems to work.  However, every individual project still has the full and combined list of individuals.  My neat-freak head wants to tidy it up and delete individuals that aren't part of that particular project.  So, my question is this: is it sensible to edit these lists and if so, what is the easiest way?  If it's not sensible, why not?

Thanks for the help.

Jane Taubman

If you still have everyone in all the trees,  it sounds like you have not split the trees out correctly.   It might be helpful to detail what options you using to create your new projects.

Personally I have found having multiple trees with related individuals can cause problems as inevitably you end up having to repeat work where people occur in more than one tree.

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 12:36, <christineashby2004@...> wrote:
Hi, I'm a new user of FH and a new member here so advanced apologies if my question seems strange.

I had a big all-family tree that I have now split into several smaller trees.  It felt more manageable that way.  Not sure if I did it the right way but it seems to work.  However, every individual project still has the full and combined list of individuals.  My neat-freak head wants to tidy it up and delete individuals that aren't part of that particular project.  So, my question is this: is it sensible to edit these lists and if so, what is the easiest way?  If it's not sensible, why not?

Thanks for the help.

christineashby2004@...

Hi Jane

Thank you for the reply and the links, all very useful.  I can see the point of not splitting (I had also wondered about the updating issue) and having experimented more with the software I think I'll take your advice.  Thankfully, I kept the original so all is not lost!

Regards

Christine