Sources For: drop-down menu

Geoff Culbertson

I have been using FH for many years but only recently have had the time and the inclination to input Sources for all the data I have amassed. This is a major back-conversion exercise! I have some screen traps of newspapers under the Media tab and when I added a Source for one, it applied to every other item in the Media tab for that person. I then noticed the drop-down menu for Sources For: with <whole record>, which made sense, but when I clicked the drop-down menu I noticed a whole lot of options, some of which were followed by a number in square brackets. Am I trying to do this the wrong way?

Mike Tate

Your approach is not the conventional method.

Firstly, the square brackets identify the instances of the Fact for the person.

So in your screenshot, Occupation refers to 1st Occupation fact, Occupation[2] refers to 2nd Occupation fact, and Occupation[3] refers to 3rd Occupation fact.

The Media tab in your screenshot is conventionally reserved for photographs of the person or other personal pictures.

Such pictures appear in the Focus Window, in Diagrams and in Reports as an image of the person.

Source documents are added differently.

Consider the 1867-12-14 Probate notice that is presumably a source for the Probate fact.

In the Facts tab, you would select the Probate fact and it will appear in the Sources For box of the yellow Source Citation pane.

Then you click the Add Citation button, and then the New… button to create a new Source record, fill in some details, and click the Create button.

Now click the large blue arrow Go To Source Record button to open the Source record Property Box where you add the Probate notice to its Media tab.

If there are other facts derived from this document, such as the Executor or the Beneficiaries, then they should add a Citation to the same Source record.

There is more advice on this topic in the FHUG Knowledge Base and there are many more options than I can devote space to here.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/

Regards, Mike Tate

I have been using FH for many years but only recently have had the time and the inclination to input Sources for all the data I have amassed. This is a major back-conversion exercise! I have some screen traps of newspapers under the Media tab and when I added a Source for one, it applied to every other item in the Media tab for that person. I then noticed the drop-down menu for Sources For: with <whole record>, which made sense, but when I clicked the drop-down menu I noticed a whole lot of options, some of which were followed by a number in square brackets. Am I trying to do this the wrong way?

Geoff Culbertson

Thanks Mike, I will never be completely conventional but I will try to be more conventional! I am beginning to get the hang of sources, but find the best way to learn is by playing with it and making mistakes. I understand your instructions and have actually been doing near enough what you say.
Keep safe and well, Geoff