Source Template V7

Yasmin Gibbins

Good Morning,
I am testing V7 and Rootsmagic I have a query around sources. In Rooysmagic I seem to be able to  set a master source as Birth Certificate and then add each persons certificate as a citation. On V7 it looks like each birth certificate is a source by itself.
I have been using Family Historian since the beginning but am still using V5. I do like most of the updates in V7 but still struggle with sources.
Any help and advice is very appreciated.
Yasmin

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

If you add a generic source, say GRO Birth records, you can have multiple citations to that source.  I have kept away from the Templated sources mechanism for that very reason.
Paul TT

Mike Tate

Hi Yasmin,

You are not alone in coping with the task of migration from RM to FH.

There is much discussion and useful Plugins available in the FHUG Forums at https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/index.php

You are largely correct that FH Templates favour Method 1 splitter Source Citations.

Whereas other products such as RM favour Method 2 lumped Source Citations.

Are you familiar with the pros & cons of those two methods in FH?

See FHUG Knowledge Base https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/citing-sources-method-1-and-method-2/ for a summary.

In general Method 1 in FH avoids unnecessary duplication of information in Citations.

If that information is not duplicated faithfully then Reports may contain copies of all the variants.

However, one of the Plugins I mentioned above allows RM Source Citations and Templates to be imported to FH mostly unaltered.

Alternatively, you could work with FH Generic Sources that support both Method 1 and Method 2.

Another Plugin allows Method 2 Source Citations to be split into Method 1 Source Citations.

There is other advice for importing from RM in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

Mike Tate

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

It’s not impossible to create Templated Source with multiple citations to that source (even a Birth Certificate Source created used the Essentials template will usually have multiple citations (birth, names of parents, father’s occupation etc.).  And you can create a custom Templated Source for e.g. ‘GRO Birth Certificates’ that allows you to use the Citation fields to identify exactly which certificate.

If you add a generic source, say GRO Birth records, you can have multiple citations to that source.  I have kept away from the Templated sources mechanism for that very reason.
Paul TT

_._,_._,_