sharing gedcom

james o'kelly

having separated my father/mothers trees, can I now share it with other family members on gedcom.  Thanks

Mike Tate

Sorry, James, but you will have to give us a few more clues.

Your earlier posting was only about displaying separate Diagrams for different ancestral branches.

Would just sending the Diagram as a PDF be satisfactory?

What do your other family members possess that will display a GEDCOM file?

Do they also have Family Historian or some other genealogy product installed on their PC?

Will they expect Media photos and source documents included?

There is a guide in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Create an export Gedcom based on a diagram

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:create_an_export_gedcom_based_on_a_diagram

If they don’t have FH installed or do want Media there are some extra steps needed.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 03 June 2020 15:27
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] sharing gedcom

having separated my father/mothers trees, can I now share it with other family members on gedcom.  Thanks

Virus-free. www.avast.com

james o'kelly

sorry to over complicate things, yes I would just like to share my findings with other family members,how do I send the chart/lists? 

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 4:50 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Your earlier posting was only about displaying separate Diagrams for different ancestral branches.

Do they also have Family Historian or some other genealogy product installed on their PC?

There is a guide in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Create an export Gedcom based on a diagram

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:create_an_export_gedcom_based_on_a_diagram

If they don’t have FH installed or do want Media there are some extra steps needed.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly

Neil Grantham

Hi James

A similar process for both Charts and Lists

Family Historian should have installed it's own PDF printer, cunningly called "Family Historian PDF" - if you have Windows 10, that also has it's own 'Microsoft print to PDF' too, if the FH version didn't get installed.
So, in a Diagram, click File > Print... and then the printer dialogue pops up.
Change to "Family Historian PDF" at the top selector - where you see your regular printer name.
Click Print and you now get a second dialogue asking where you would like to save the PDF file - you can give it a specific name at this point, relevant to what you are exporting.

For Lists (Reports), very similar process.
So, create the Report you want to send to a relative, for example Publish > Narrative Reports > Descendants by Generation (or whichever one you choose to create, same process)
Choose the Root person then click OK.
Click the Options button if the default number of generations isn't enough to cover the report. Lots of things you can tweak here.
Now you have a couple of options from the buttons on this Report
1 - Print - similar to above, you go to a dialogue to change to the FH PDF printer
2 - Save Report as - here you can also save as a PDF or if the recipient uses MS Office, you can export as a Microsoft Word document. There are also options on this button to create HTML for a website, or a plain text file

When you've created the file (in a place you've hopefully remembered), you can either email it to the recipient or put on a USB stick or burn a CD/DVD etc.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Thursday, 4 June 2020, 07:31:44 BST, james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:

sorry to over complicate things, yes I would just like to share my findings with other family members,how do I send the chart/lists? 

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 4:50 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Regards, Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Hi James,

Most of what Neil suggests is perfectly good advice.

However, when printing Diagrams using File > Print risks it being split over several pages in the PDF file.

You can check what it will look like if you use File > Print Preview.

A better option is Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and accept the default option to fit onto one page.

Like the Report > Save Report As > PDF File (.pdf) they both automatically use the Family Historian PDF mode.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 04 June 2020 09:33
Subject: Re: [family-historian] sharing gedcom

Hi James

Family Historian should have installed it's own PDF printer, cunningly called "Family Historian PDF" - if you have Windows 10, that also has it's own 'Microsoft print to PDF' too, if the FH version didn't get installed.

Change to "Family Historian PDF" at the top selector - where you see your regular printer name.

Click Print and you now get a second dialogue asking where you would like to save the PDF file - you can give it a specific name at this point, relevant to what you are exporting.

So, create the Report you want to send to a relative, for example Publish > Narrative Reports > Descendants by Generation (or whichever one you choose to create, same process)

Click the Options button if the default number of generations isn't enough to cover the report. Lots of things you can tweak here.

1 - Print - similar to above, you go to a dialogue to change to the FH PDF printer

2 - Save Report as - here you can also save as a PDF or if the recipient uses MS Office, you can export as a Microsoft Word document. There are also options on this button to create HTML for a website, or a plain text file

When you've created the file (in a place you've hopefully remembered), you can either email it to the recipient or put on a USB stick or burn a CD/DVD etc.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Neil

Neil Grantham

I agree with Mike.

One thing to consider though, is if you actually want to print the PDF file - some prefer to see it all laid out as one. I did this for a family gathering back in January, so I was able to trim it all and stick together with tape, and then put it up on the wall, for all to see. It was very popular!

I find trying to print from the PDF created via Diagram > Save Diagram as, isn't as nice as the PDF created from File > Print... 
If you are going to just view on a device, I think Diagram > method is preferable, but for intending to print it use File> 

To print from the PDF created using the Diagram > method, (in Acrobat Reader DC) you need to select the Poster option to get a large layout printed on A4 pages which can leave white borders.
Just my opinion.

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Thursday, 4 June 2020, 09:51:06 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi James,

However, when printing Diagrams using File > Print risks it being split over several pages in the PDF file.

A better option is Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and accept the default option to fit onto one page.

Like the Report > Save Report As > PDF File (.pdf) they both automatically use the Family Historian PDF mode.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io

Hi James

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Neil

Mike Tate

Yes, it depends on what you intend to do with the PDF and what printing devices you hope to use.

To view the PDF on any device (PC, iPad, etc) then the Save Diagram As single page PDF option is best.

(Note that even that method offers the option to print multiple pages if you prefer.)

If you have a large paper printer, or use a local print company, then the single page PDF option is still best.

It is only if you need separate printed A4 sheets to stick together that the multi-page PDF format is better.

Sent: 04 June 2020 10:58

I agree with Mike.

One thing to consider though, is if you actually want to print the PDF file - some prefer to see it all laid out as one. I did this for a family gathering back in January, so I was able to trim it all and stick together with tape, and then put it up on the wall, for all to see. It was very popular!

I find trying to print from the PDF created via Diagram > Save Diagram as, isn't as nice as the PDF created from File > Print... 

If you are going to just view on a device, I think Diagram > method is preferable, but for intending to print it use File> 

To print from the PDF created using the Diagram > method, (in Acrobat Reader DC) you need to select the Poster option to get a large layout printed on A4 pages which can leave white borders.

Just my opinion.

Best Wishes,

Neil

james o'kelly

thank you Mike and Neil, I have printed off your instructions, as it looks a bit complicated at first, but I am sure once I have tried it a couple of times, it will be fine, thanks again

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 10:57 AM Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree with Mike.

Just my opinion.

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Thursday, 4 June 2020, 09:51:06 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi James,

Hi James

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Neil