Saving disgram to PDF

John Hanson

I am trying to save a diagram to a PDF file in FH7 (something that I have rarely done) and I keep getting a message to say that “PDF file output is not enabled” and there is no help button to say “how to enable”

I have searched high and low on every menu I can find and cannot see anywhere that will enable me to save to the file

Am I missing the obvious?

Lorna Craig

This error crops up very occasionally, although I have not heard of it occurring with V7.   The FHUG Knowledge Base has a reference to it in this page https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-installation-problems/#ftoc-heading-12  in the paragraph headed "Save As PDF File Output is Not Enabled" .  It looks as if this page has not yet been updated for V7 but hopefully one of the suggestions will work.

Lorna

On 07/04/2021 22:58, John Hanson wrote:

I am trying to save a diagram to a PDF file in FH7 (something that I have rarely done) and I keep getting a message to say that “PDF file output is not enabled” and there is no help button to say “how to enable”

I have searched high and low on every menu I can find and cannot see anywhere that will enable me to save to the file

Am I missing the obvious?

John Hanson

Lorna

Thanks – Ran the trouble-shooter on the PDF printer and it wants to make the PDF printer the default
Last thing I want! And I don’t want to keep changing the default printer

Checking the printers the FH PDF one wasn’t listed
So un-installed the printer from control panel (as recommended in the KB) and re-installed from the link there which still appears to be the current version of Nova
Works fine other than it wanting to get me to re-start my machine which is totally un-necessary and all now working
We will see how long for!

This error crops up very occasionally, although I have not heard of it occurring with V7.   The FHUG Knowledge Base has a reference to it in this page https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-installation-problems/#ftoc-heading-12  in the paragraph headed "Save As PDF File Output is Not Enabled" .  It looks as if this page has not yet been updated for V7 but hopefully one of the suggestions will work.

Lorna

On 07/04/2021 22:58, John Hanson wrote:

I am trying to save a diagram to a PDF file in FH7 (something that I have rarely done) and I keep getting a message to say that “PDF file output is not enabled” and there is no help button to say “how to enable”

I have searched high and low on every menu I can find and cannot see anywhere that will enable me to save to the file

Am I missing the obvious?

Neil Grantham

John

In the case of default printer, just untick the box that prompts you to do so or if you didn’t, go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers, right click on your preferred printer and select Set as default

In terms of the reboot, it is often necessary to do so after installs/repairs/re-installs as the process will put files and libraries in place that can’t be recognised until that reboot is done.
As annoying as it can be, it is best to do it to avoid any odd program issues you might get if you don’t.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------

ShaneB

Not a reply, but a supplementary question: how are those running FH under CrossOver and MacOS handling PDFs?

I can create a PDF by circuitous means, but it's a bit of a kludge.

TIA

Shane

Mike Tate

Shane,

Have you seen the FHUG Knowledge Base advice on Running Family Historian on Crossover?

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/running-family-historian-on-crossover/

Under the cunningly named heading ‘Printing and PDF’ it gives some options.